1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Morgan Burnett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers113, Mar 20, 2018.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I wouldn't mind RB in round 2 if there's a good one there. Bell is gonna be sitting again for preseason/camp. He'll be his usual rusty self for about 3 games. Would love to see a rookie Steelers RB explode on the scene like Kamara and Hunt did last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I could see that happening. I would prefer a back in the middle rounds though. It seems like there should still be plenty of good backs out there in the 3-5 range.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    most definitely. If we want to even be in the mix we absolutely have to improve these areas. All we need are a couple of key stops a game and our offense to non haley it. 1 down

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great move. Hes the type of safety I always clamor for in the draft. he'll play in the box, nickel, serve as an extra LB, hes very versatile. Hopefully he'll clean up the communication problems too, he QB GB's defense.

Nicely done Steelers :applaud:

ILB is all but assured as the number 1 pick. Assuming it breaks right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He is injury prone otherwise the pack would have kept him, unlikely he can stay on the field this year, he did have his best game against us last year of course, 9 tackles and a forced fumble, but his career injury list is as long as my arm:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/morgan-burnett-player-injuries

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Just a couple, so no worries. He has a long history of "sinus migraines" though, whatever that means.

Kidding aside, I like this signing. Definitely a step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    With the 28th pick in the 2018 draft the Pittsburgh a steelers select Mike Gesicki TE Penn State.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe, never know but I doubt it. Right now, with the addition of Burnett, my guy is Leighton Vander. Lot can change in a month though, Im way behind this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I wouldn't call this a stop gap unless they only gave him a 1 year deal. Assuming he stays healthy he should be the starting SS for the next few years. He's not a playmaker but he doesn't make mistakes , is good in run support, and has the ability to play anywhere in the secondary which gives us the versatility to get more creative with our play calling. He's a big upgrade to Davis at SS for sure. Now hopefully Davis blossoms as a FS. He should be a big upgrade over Mitchell .... we now have 2 safeties with the ability to get to the sidelines or the middle of the field. That's something Mitchell couldn't do and Davis was horrible in run support .

10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I also think this makes our corners better now that we have safeties that can actually offer support and cover TE's and RB's.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Psssst.....ear, ;). Anyways I am pretty darn excited since #1 both Mitchell and Spence will not be back :dancing:which means we are so much better already. I am glad we brought a big name in would have liked 2 but I will settle for 1. I fully expect this team to be playing for a championship no doubt, but I understand it is a very tough thing to do and we are not the only good team out there. We just fixed 2 of our biggest problems from last year and we are only going to get better in the draft. Our offense is not going to lose anyone and should only get better with Juju and Vance in year 2 and MB playing for a big contract(some place else)! All I know is right now when I look at this team on paper I say we have just as much chance as any other team if not more to win it all. :thumbs_up:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I was surprised to see this. FWIW- the (very good) fantasy football service I use always ranked Burnett at the top of the list for safety, at least from a fantasy perspective. Just stay healthy!

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It`s wonderful to go into a season having real hope of change for the better. We seem to be getting stronger while other contenders like the Pack and the Cheaters get hit with big personnel losses.

14. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    3x 14.5

Not bad actually after realizing we were gonna pay Mitchell 8 and some change it’s a steal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Should be just enough $ left for draft picks and maybe a depth vet on the cheap.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR early. We could use a guy that will man the slot and take over if and when MB goes. They have talked to and met with James Washington of OK.St.. I do remember Randy fichtner going to memphis early to see his daughter and was going to check out a few players. It's also a place that has history with many coaches here and we did send a scout down there to a pro day. They have a decent QB and a very decent WR in Anthony Miller that would fit the bill for what we need. :cool:

17. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Its a good day and will be even better after the draft..i can live with this and sleep well again ;)

18. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    3/14.5 and people were saying we couldn't get an upgrade for the money we saved on Mitchell.......hmmmm. Just sayin

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

According to that he missed 5 games in 4 years. Doesnt strike me as injury prone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    barring any injuries it really is a huge upgrade. So he doesn't make crazy plays, who cares. He knows how to tackle, most of our guys don't. He limits mistakes in which most of our guys do. doubt he allows huge plays then trash talks afterwards lol.

like I said before, our defense doesn't even need troy's or hairysons, just guys that know fundamentals with discipline and can stay on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    he missed more like 10 games. 4 games last year, 1 in 2016 and 2014, 5 in 2015, and 3 in 2013. He played the full year in 2011 and 2012.

http://www.nfl.com/player/morganburnett/496727/careerstats

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    this is huge for them. I don't care what his age or injury history is. bottom line he is 100x better than Mitchell. if davis gets better with burns and hayden getting a year. dang, secondary could become a strength. draft a safety still and get some depth and insurance. looking promising

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice move is right.....but there is still one big question that needs to be answered....can the whining about not signing Matheiu stop yet.....( not you).

• Like Like x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats still not injury prone. 10 games in 7 years. 4 of those years he played full seasons basically, with 15 in 2 of them.

If he was missing 5 games every year, Id agree with injury prone. He only had that one season where he missed 5 games.

Most players miss games every year. As long as its kept around 2 games, its not a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I think they go QB. Either Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.

• Disagree Disagree x 1