1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers want Bell for life

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Feb 15, 2018.

1. new game

new game New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Deep RB draft class this year. No way I'd pay Bell more than $12M per. So many risks with him not even including the short shelf life of RB's.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah nice list especially the #2 guy Bryce Love he would look great in black and gold........in 2019:facepalm:

What kills me is people think that you see a bunch of highlights of players and they can do what Bell does, smh.

I am not saying these guys won't be good NFL players I don't know that bu I also don't know they will be good either. I am a Penny fan would love to see the Steelers draft this kid even is they do sign Bell, but when we have a window this small with a QB like Ben why chance the unknown?

People hate Bell cause they think he is greedy but you don't understand this is a business. You have to start high when you negotiate, it isn't greed it is normal and smart. When you sell a car do you start with the drop dead price to want for it or do you start out with a higher price? This is no different, the only thing is we are fans and they are players but also employees. Read this article it has a lot of good info in it:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=502073

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Was a deep class last year even better class last year and how did that work out?????

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah we were able to tell a lot about Conners 32 att and 0 recp last year, leading to his torn MCL. I didn't like the pick last season and I am not ready to have him take over for Bell. Conner is a great story and would love to see him make it but that is the fan in me, the realist in me says it is dangerous to pin our hopes on him.

I am not crazy about giving Bell 15m but if the Steelers structure it right it won't be as bad as people are making it out to be. #1 big signing bonus that will take the AAV down, #2 back load the contract the last 2 years. Why do that cause if Ben does hang them up after 2 years there goes 30 mil off the books and if we turn the offense over to a rookie QB don't you think having Bell, AB and Juju there would take a lot of pressure off him? I am hoping we end up in the 12m range and get him signed so we can then move onto the other more needy positions like S and ILB.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny how a minuscule amount of credibility prior to this post just went poof.

6. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017

I just wanna beat the Patriots, you have a better suggestion? I mean what's Ben's record vs the pats ? 0-10? After all most of you guys have said as long as brady is playing pitt will lose ..

Lightn up, it was a joke

EDIT..Not a single ..
    is given .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  7. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017

Funny how BEN gets soooo much credit for such a mediocre qb...​

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks James Conner was not brought in to replace Le'von Bell. He was brought in for RB depth
    ST play. He can play football. He is no where near the talent that Levean Bell is and
    shouldn't be compared to him. He will be fine, he can play will he be 1000 yard back? Probably not,
    will he be an asset to the PGH Steelers, probably so. If we lose Le'vean Bell we will survive.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not even Le'Veon is as a good as Levean Bellis

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah we will survive that is not even debatable, every person is replaceable. The question is at what cost? What will be the results of not having Bell there who is use to his blocking and use to him slipping out as a last resort dump off. What cost to have 2 or 3 guys here to replace Bell, the offense will chance as Bell can do it all. Bell can line up in the backfield and split out wide all on the same play and be a #1 thread while doing each, Conner can't do that. If we bring in a rookie we don't know if he can do that either, if he can fine that is great but if he can't it will affect the production of the offense. With Ben only having 2-3 years left that is what scares me, I want the offense at 100%. Ben, Bell, AB, MB and Juju are pretty good and make for a very powerful offense.

The more I am looking at this the more I am thinking we should just tag Bell and draft a Penny or Freeman type and hope he can learn in a year and be ready in 2019 to take over. I want Bell but I am thinking if he wants to be here like he says he does a deal should be done and it should be semi cap friendly. jmo Make no mistake I want Bell here I will not change my stance on that.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Don't even no why. But this has me crakin the f up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I think during the next CBA negotiations the union needs to fight hard to get rid of the franchise tag, as you say it's a business but what business in the US can keep an employee from going to another company for a higher wage, free agency starts on the 14th for every player except the ones on the exclusive tag, at the very least the exclusive tag should be eliminated but i'm in favor of getting rid of the franchise tag in it's entirety...........

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree pretty much there has to be a way to make it fair for the player as well, however I am pretty sure a guy like Cousins isn't complaining as he made a boat load of money and is also gonna make more. I like the tag where you can match it and if you don't you get a pick, fine tune that and that would be better imo.

14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Cousins didnt hold out during camp like bell does, and missing camp hurt bells production last year and it will again this year, so if they think it's too expensive to give him a contract then let him find a deal in FA and match it or let him move on....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The tag has been used to secure the services of a player and to negotiate a long term deal, especially if said player is in the plans. That's what the tag is used for. The tag is not cheap. And it's guaranteed. The brass negotiated with Bell last year but the rap giant wanted more upfront money. The tag protects the investment in the player. Max Starks comes to mind as well.

Here is the list of those who have been either transitioned or franchised. In most cases the player was eventually signed to a long term deal:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-history-franchise-transition-tag/

Personally paying 14.5 for a running back is insane but this might be what we see again this season if they decide to retain Bell. That's if both sides can't come to a middle point for a long term deal. Been pretty hush hush so far and Bell has not been tagged yet. The clocks ticking.

16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Everyone has an opinion, but I give Bell good money and keep him in Pittsburgh. Dude is just way too important.

We're a 10-6 team without him... at best IMO.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Um it is not proven that Bell's hold out hurt his production, I think if you go back and look you will see a pretty poor team at all positions the first 5 games. People want to blame everything on the hold out but I don't buy it. He isn't a rookie or a new guy to the system that needs the reps. The hold out crap don't hold water with me sorry it might to you but to me I disagree. We are talking about a guy that has done nothing but football the last 4 years maybe even more, sorry you just don't lose what he had sitting out a few weeks of training camp, not at his age maybe at Ben's age but not Bell's. JMO, I respect yours on this I just disagree. :smiley1:

18. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Of course you disagree, you would pay him 70M with a big guarantee and feel good about it, I wouldnt because if he gets injured next year early in the season we will be eating his big money while we dont have the backs we need to run the ball effectively, the risk is a lot higher than the reward.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    We were 13-3 with him, but one and done in the playoffs because the D is horrible. Yes, he's a very good player...question is, will the team be better off spending his money elsewhere?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well that is just not true I have said before I would be willing to go 15 mil but I would hope we get it done lower. I am not at all happy we are looking at paying him this much but when I look at all he does and realize just how important he is to this offense I do it. I do it cause we have a small window with Ben and after Ben is gone the cap won't be an issue anyways so why not have in place the best RB to pair up with the best WR? Sorry if we want to pay Tuitt and Heyward that kind of money than imo there is no doubt in my mind Bell is worth it. Do I like all the off field stuff, do I like the fact he was a pothead, no but you know what I don't control that. I am a Steeler fan and want the best we can get out there trying to win #7!

As far as using an injury as an excuse that is the easy way out. Anybody can get hurt at anytime so to not sign a guy who over 4 years has proven to be the best at his position because of injury is stupid. Injuries are part of the game and you can't predict them unless you are like out TE who has shown over the course of his career he can't stay healthy! :smiley1:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What if we could do both.....which we can. I have posted over and over how we can save money by cutting the dead weight(Mitchell, Wilcox, Sensabaugh, Gay, etc) and extending Ben and Pouncey. We are at 6.5 mil now add the cuts I have talked about in other posts and there is almost another 20 mil. Sign Bell, A FA ILB and S and the draft class it can happen.........

We are not far off on defense we need to replace 2 starters and a bunch of backups, we are better right off the bat without Mitchell and Spence! People who just hate the fact that Bell wants a lot of money will keep saying spend elsewhere. The fact is 9 of our 11 starters on defense are already set for next year..........

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's as greedy as they come, there will be no cap friendly deal.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

There he is, welcome back my man :dancing::thumbs_up: You may be right but we are gonna see, one second he wants all the money then the next second he is talking how he wants to be here. Time will tell I hope it is a little of both and we can move on from this lol

• Like Like x 1
  24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    HAHA.. Rap giant.. Love it

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking he wants to be here with all of the money?