1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worth The Price: Players Worth Trading Up For

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Feb 12, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As the title says, which players would be worth trading up for should they be within striking distance?

For the usage of the phrase "striking distance", let us assume no earlier than pick number 21.

Also, allow me to start; Derwin James. He has been mocked as low as number 32 recently to Philidelphia via Bleacherreport but can go as high as Tampa Bay. I have even seen him in some mocks making it all the way down to the Seahawks.

Just an example above of a player who might just fall that far.

Go.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the draft might fall great for us because i think there will be a run on qbs and wrs. That said. If the jackson kid from iowa or vita vea drop might want to consider. We just dont have picks to do it. I would love to see vita in black and gold

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Derwin James got to 28 and we didn't pick him, it better be because we picked Minkah Fitzpatrick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With no 4th rd and I believe no 6th rd pick I wouldn't trade up for nobody.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not a fan of trading up as a matter of fact I am a trade down and gain picks kind of guy. With that said this thread was started with who you think is worth trading up for and one players comes to mind. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a guy I think is worth the trade up, not that I would just worth the trade up.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I wouldn't trade up for Fitzpatrick. I think he's a bit overrated and I think he goes in the top 10.

Derwin James is all over the map. I think he will go to the Combine and blow it up and should secure himself as a top 15 pick. Not sure his play this year confirmed that he is completely over his injury. Nowhere near his 2015 play. Not sure he is that special guy anymore.

Fitzpatrick and James aren't what I saw in Adams and Hooker last year.

I would have moved up for a QB but Bens situation seems a little more clear now, I think, so that's off that table.

Loving Oline play I do dream having Nelson or Hernandez on our line but that'd a luxury and not one we can afford.

There are some great OLBs like Edmunds, Landry and Hubbard, and the fact it' still a need, I just don' think we can go OLB again.

I think we stand pat and take the best ILB, S or CB.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What I would not give to have Edmunds.

If anything though, I believe he is not scheme specific. He is another candidate I woule love to trade up for. Reminds me of Anthony Barr minus the effort issues.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Jordan Whithead 2nd round, very talented right in front of the Steelers

for years now, possibly will need to move up to get him in 2nd round.

First round the LB from Bama will be just what the Dr, ordered

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be good but the issue is that he is caught between a poor mans Malik Hooker and a poor mans Jalen Ramsey. I concur with SteelCity_NB about him.

Both have athletic talent superior to him in just about every way with the football IQ to boot.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well the tread is who I think is worth trading up not who I would trade up for. It was either Fitzpatrick or Smith mostly cause those are the 2 position we need bad. I haven't watched much on Fitzpatrick mostly cause I know there is no way he falls to us. I have read a bunch on him and everything I have read says he is a good tackler and good cover guy. The problem with Bama guys that I have is that unlike most teams these guys have a lot of NFL level around them. Who is your guy?

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My guy?

Dream picks being either Tremaine Edmunds or Derwin James.

My realistic expectations being either Ronnie Harrison or Rashan Evans.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah that is what the op asked who do you think is worth to trade up for my answer was Fitzpatrick, must be you like James right? I haven't seen much on him gotta check him out. :smiley1:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The steelers should trade up to get james if he gets with in range, but we are to far away in the draft to get him without trading away multiple picks, but he is a day 1 starter I compare him to kam chancellor when he was a young player, scouts compare him to eric berry, he will be a game changer in the secondary for sure:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derwin-james?id=2560066

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    In 2003 we moved from #27 up to #16, for a 3rd and a 6th.

A very cheap price to pay for HOF S Troy Polamalu.

That was a sweetheart deal and I'm not sure we could get that this year. Not having a 4th will hurt us in trades.

I don't expect that he would but if Derwin James were to fall into the mid teens, you would atleast have to give it some thought.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No comp picks this year. We get a 7th for cockrell and lose a 4th. I can't remember if we get a 6th for McDonald.:cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Things have come a long ways since then look at last years trades. Texans moved from 25 to 12 and had to throw in a 2018 1st rounder. KC moved from 27 to 10 and had to throw in a 2017 3rd and a 2018 1st round. The bar is set pretty high if we want to trade up, jmo.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No 6th this year, they have two 5ths and two 7ths.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    This is were Martavius Bryant comes in, would look great in a Chicago Bear uniform for a 4th rounder.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What did we get the extra 5th for?:cool:

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Seems like such a little return on such a highly skilled player.

Then again that's all Santonio Holmes was worth.

21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Traded our 4th to the Niners for their fifth and the TE.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Not for a malcontent who thinks he deserves to be highly paid, who is one failed drug test from

being banned. I would make this deal so fast my head would spin. oh by the way

I believe the Steelers received a 6th rounder for the dope smoker Santonio. They really

gave him away.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

OK thanks. :cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This makes no sense, why trade a guy who has proven to be a top talent at a very affordable price all while trying to will the SB? We are not in rebuild mode yet and while we hit the jackpot with Juju in the draft what makes you think we can do it again, the better question is why would we try when we have a guy here doing that at a great price? All for a 4th rounder, come on that is silly

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He let down his team, mates, coaches, fans, he is 1 failed drug test from being banned from the NFL. Yea I guess

it is silly.