1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolf

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by francobettis, Feb 16, 2018.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Saw a mock draft with the Steelers selecting QB Mason Rudolf out of Oklahoma State. Saw a video on him and I was really impressed with his mobility and arm. Has good size similar to Big Ben. Will he be available at #28? if he is available at #28, do we jump on him. That is a tough choice. I would.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He "was" my #1 choice at #28.

But Ben's recent statements have made QB a little less of a priority.

I really like Rudolph. He has flaws but I think he has alot of upside.

He got hurt at the end of his bowl game and missed the Senior Bowl which was extremely disappointing.

His ranking is all over the place.

I had seen him mocked to Buffalo alot in round 1. I would think the Patriots would also be very interested at #31.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree with Elvis. Ben is not going anywhere anytime soon. We can kick the plan to nab "the guy" later down the road.

Now, someone like New England as Elvis said, Buffalo, or perhaps even Jacksonville depending on what is to become of Blake's wrist post injury would be intriguing. Heck, it would not surprise me if even Arizona nabbed him as I did not think Patrick Mahomes was a top 10 pick.

We will have to wait and see.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is these drafts with franchise QB candidates are cyclical. There'll be a few years with 2-4 in them, then a big drop off and maybe a lucky pick here and there for a few years.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps so. Within that same vein though, we still do have time for Ben; three years as he states. It is as you said, two to four years. Best aspect as to how we, as fans can look at it is Ben elects to play his final season in 2020 but we might have Ben's heir in the 2019 Draft.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel like this class has some sleepers White and Falk, but I like Randolph. With that said like others posted with Ben saying he wants 2-3 more years and so many other needs to fill.....S, ILB, OLB, DT, oline depth, RB, CB I don't feel we shouldn't be drafting a QB this year. With Landry under contract another year maybe Dobbs will step up to the back up after that and next year we draft a guy to be our #3 guy with intent on him being the future.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Our biggest need in the 2004 draft wasn't qb. The Packers certainly didn't need a qb, having an entrenched future HOFer. The Chiefs didn't need a qb last year, but traded up for one. As someone said, if there's a qb there, and you're convinced he is a franchise qb, you take him. That being said, I prefer Lamar Jackson. But as always, whoever they choose to select is okay with me. Hell, I hadn't even heard of Ryan Shazier when they picked him. 1 minute of googling and I was happy.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    The reason I dont take a QB 2-3 years before needed is because it does not help you win a SB now.

Drafting Rodgers did not help GB win a SB in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Drafting Mahommes last year did nothing to help the Chiefs win a SB in 2017.

The Steelers window is closing. Just as it was in 2010. You go all out to get that SB before the window closes.

A Safety or ILB will help us the most in 2018. That's the choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I understand where your coming from however each of them examples has a different out look. Farve had been talking about retirement and that was a major reason they grabbed Rogers when he fell. KC was never really happy with Smith and didn't think he was a franchise QB but more a game manager. If we draft a guy now and he is suppose to be Ben's replacement and Ben plays say 2 more years that is 2 years we will lose at a discount rate. I feel the key to this teams future is to find a good QB who we will have under control as a starter at a very nice contract for 3 years. This will help our cap when Ben retires, giving these years up is a financial nightmare imo

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    AJ McCarren is an unrestricted free agent after winning his case in arbitration this week, not that we would be interested but with him being available teams in dire need for a QB can now negotiate with his agent instead of trading a draft pick to get him, I just wonder if he can be a solid starter for a team or not?????????

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It has been brought up on the radio that if it weren't for the defensive meltdown on defense for the Bungals they would have beaten up and AJ was the QB that day. He played well but then again it was vs our D.....lol. Also the Clowns tried to trade for him last year but they screwed the paperwork up, I feel there is a market for him to be a starter, jmo.

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Most likely with the cards, however with only 4 starts and a 2-2 record he could be another over paid disappointment like Brock Osweiller...........

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right but so can anyone else it is a crap shoot. The difference is Asswipper was never good, at least AJ has shown something.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At 28 it truly maybe bpa? As Colbert always says Steelers don't

pick for need.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't like the notion of a window closing. Why can't you manage to keep a winning thing going with smart drafting and free agent signings?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If Shazier didn't get hurt this year, I think you could probably look at maybe getting a QB in round 1 this year, but now that this is the new reality, we need to potentially look at ILB in round 1. I do expect we will do what we always do and go out and get someone in free agency we could live with as the starter in case the draft doesn't go our way, but we shall see.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts also, If Shazier doesn't get hurt I believe we could have taken a QB at #1

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    With Ben talking about 3 more years no way do I think the Steelers would have gone QB in round 1 with or without the injury. I feel the Steelers will be adding parts that will help in the next 2-3 years and worry about QB in a year or two. The thing here is the fact that in this day of salary cap we can not afford to draft a QB and let him sit 2 years before he takes over for Ben cause we will lose 2 cheap years. This is very key imo to the Bell signing, think about having an offense with Bell, AB and Juju with a vet oline for a rookie to walk into when Ben hangs them up........

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

What is this Qb's negotiating angle if he sits 2 years? None

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You lost me, what do you mean?

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    What is his negotiating power on his 2nd contract if he doesn't play for 2 years, while sitting
    on the bench for 2 years. At 28th pick it(rookie contact) would hardly be anything, he would
    have to prove himself to be awarded a mega contract on his second contract.

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Under the rookie salary cap there is nothing to negotiate since the salary is set at where you get drafted, the only thing that a player can try to negotiate like Bosa did is for a larger signing bonus which he got:

4th Year Guarantees

The first 16 picks in the draft will essentially have fully guaranteed contracts. However, from 17-22 there will only be partially guaranteed salary in the 4th year of the contract and picks 23 to 32 will only have guarantees for the first three years of the contract.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure what you mean my point is if we draft a rookie this year like we are talking about here Mason Rudolph and he sits behind Ben for 2 years and starts in year 3, we lose 2 years of cheap salary cause we would have him for years 3 & 4 plus the 5th option. I would like to draft a guy when Ben is done and let him come right in a play and we would have 4-5 years of cheapness. I am not talking anything about negotiating any salary I am talking about wasting cheap years.

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Seemed to work out ok for Jimmy G ;)

• Like Like x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Not the norm, Whole lot of Tyrod Taylors/ Aj Mccarron and such out there.