1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What should we do with Le'Veon Bell?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by brosonke, Jan 29, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers will probably have an offense that will live up to it's hype now. I think they are probably going to get 30 ppg, have the leading rusher and receiver but won't go far in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't care what anybody says... defense wins championships. New England had just enough D to get to the Super Bowl. The Patriots D did well enough in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game to get to the Super Bowl... and it was a much better performance than the Steelers defense vs. the Jaguars offense. Likewise with Eagles. Eagles had 2 great defensive performances before the Super Bowl vs. Falcons and Vikings. Steelers are nowhere near championship form at present. It's not like the Steelers have the best offense... they are ranked somewhere around 3-5.

As I've said before, the window is shut. And this is sad for Ben Roethlisberger. Because I really wanted him to get 3 rings before he retired. I doubt very seriously this is going to happen now. Steelers had their chances from '14-'17 and blew it with bad coaching, lack of execution from players who should be doing their jobs and/or unlucky injuries to key players. I realize the injuries are out of their control... but still it's a good excuse.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No way man yeah you have to have defense you can't win with what we put out there the last game. However you can talk all you want about the Cheats and especially the Eagles but both have good offenses. As a matter of fact you are talking about 2 teams that have probably the best QB of all time and the other who had the lead horse for the MVP before he got hurt. Oh yeah I think the Eagles also had the #1 ranked offense at that time as well. The days of defense winning championships are over, I know it is hard for old time diehard Steeler fans to accept, but it is. Thanks to all the rule changes to favor the offense, the concussion issue,and people wanting to see more scoring which leads to more ratings. Welcome to the new NFL.......

The Steelers had a lot to over come with off the field stuff, hopefully we go into this season with none of that and we no distractions. This team is not far off, you and I have been going back and forth in many threads about this. A happy Ben to start the season and fixing S and ILB and we are just as good if not better than anyone, jmo. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    well the problem is most defenses can't play to the level that older smothering defenses used to. So in a sense its pretty much situational football. Have a great offense, and have a good enough defense to get some stops/turnovers. Then combine luck + coaching and have a very good chance of getting a ring.

We have a great offense with capable coaching.
    Our defense CAN be good IF shaz position + safeties get replaced, and butler gets his head out of his butt.
    we CAN go far in the playoffs if we don't live in our fears, still waiting after 11 years lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That can be important...

[​IMG]

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    One thing to add here is luck, of the 11 years you have been waiting we haven't had much of that. Look at the injuries we have had, Bell, AB, Ben now Shazier some missed time together some missed time more than once. I know teams over come injuries Philly this past year but our team is not built like that and that has been one of my problems with MT & KC. It took how long for us to bring in a guy like Dwill to back up Bell after how many seasons we lost Bell in the playoffs? We are unlucky and unprepared for being unlucky lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    D Day: February 20th

8. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    He wants to sit ,let him sit ,enjoy the view from the bench

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I really don't think he wants to sit and I am pretty sure the Steelers don't want him to sit. :facepalm:

10. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Kills me how people have tunnel vision, yeah Bell said he would retire or sit out what is he suppose to say he is trying to use leverage to get a contract. He also said he wouldn't sit out and he wanted to be a Steelers but yet people keep wanting to hold onto the negative. Oh yeah ARII said he wanted to make a long term deal with Bell and what did Bell tweet..........."best news ever right?" Keep letting the hate out that's fine I get it people would rather ***** about a person than root for them. This is what this world has become, glass half empty rather than glass half full. :huh:

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Bell is key to our offense clicking, so I would like to see him here as long as Ben is, which is as long as we have to win another S.B.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea know what? If he doesn't agree to be just a tad highest paid RB in the league, move the f--k on. That is how I feel. Then make the following moves. Sign a FA vet who doesn't break the bank.

Dion Lewis (27)
    Carlos Hyde (27)
    Jerick McKinnon (25)
    Isaiah Crowell (25)
    Rex Burkhead (27)

The reason I say this is because Connor won't be able to stay healthy, we need to replace both Bell and him as well, if we are serious about contending. Now, also draft one of these guys. There are plenty of good backs this draft we can get in the 2nd-4th round.

Ronald Jones II, RB, USC - might have to move up to get him and will probably cost a first rounder which could be more than they want to spend, but dude can ball; might not miss a beat with him in there. More speed than Bell.

Kerryon Johnson*, RB, Auburn - very solid and might be able to be nabbed in 2nd or 3rd.

Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia - Big back who has speed. 6 ypc in the SEC. Bam.

Jaylen Samuels, RB, N.C. State - Excellent receiver, but on the slow side (4.7-ish)

Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State - Impressed in Sr. bowl, has a burst and runs downhill in a hurry.

Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon - Big (230) with speed (4.5). 1,400+ rushing yards, with 14 rushing TD's.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think greed and stupidity keeps Bell from agreeing to any offer from the Steelers...if they are lucky.

15. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017

We need to use our offensive to improve our defense. With the skilled players we have on offense we should be going no huddle early on getting a lead and putting pressure on opponents. We should then keep playing aggressive not run run run punt and let the opponent back in the game.

I think if our offense can capitalize early in the game and if they can actually draw up a red zone play that results in a td the def will be more improved as a result of the situation.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

While I understand your feelings I do not agree. Yeah maybe we could get a guy to step in but on your list none of them guys have proven they can carry the load. Bell had 321 rushes while being targeted 106 times, it will be very hard to replace that with one guy. Oh so you want to use 2 guys, still a problem. The thing that has made this offense good is the fact we can run a no huddle without subbing in for Bell cause he can line up any where. Also now you want to add 2 new guys for Ben to get comfortable with also risking Ben getting banged up if not worse. Ben has 2 good years left why change, why not keep what we have while cutting the dead weight making cap room and signing a couple FA's to fix the D? Don't tell me we can't either cause if anyone has read any of my post I have listed the cuts of basically back ups freeing us 19 mil. Makes no sense to take away from our strengths to fix our weakness when we don't have to. Sorry but all them names you listed as FA's can not replace Bell and the only one that has a chance to be good is Hyde and he will want big money as well so why not just keep Bell?

As for your draft list love all of them except Samuels, I would add a name that is a perfect fit and that is Rashaad Penny. I woulf like to see Penny, Jones or Ballage drafted as a backup plan in case something happens to Bell. I know when Bell went down before Dwill step in nicely but he has a different style and I would like to see a guy with Bell's style brought in so there isn't a big change in the offense.

The bottom line is Bell is the best at his position and yeah so much more than a RB. Letting him go would be a step back and with such a small window IMO not worth the drop off. We do have the money to sign Bell a S and a ILB, but we will have to make some cuts. Cuts that in all reality makes us better just not having these guys. Mitchell(5m), Wilcox(3.1m), Gay(1.7m), Golden(1.4), Sensabaugh(1.4m). All guys who if have to play next year we are in trouble. There are more moves that can be made but will be a bit more costly Vance and Foster and also Ben and Pouncey to extend freeing up some money. We could have 20+ mill just here alone while having 6.5m space right now.........it can be done we can have both!!!!!!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm starting to wonder if signing bell is a good idea?
    If it's a reasonable contract that makes sense for both Bell and the team then OK, but I hope they don't break the bank and overpay.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What are your numbers, at what point do you say no thank you? I kinda feel the same way but I am willing to go as far as 15m a year, I am not happy about that but it is what it is imo.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That's letting a player in this case Bell, dictate what he thinks his market value is, when in reality Bells demand is double what the market really says it is............

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They have until March 6th to slap the franchise tag on Bell.

I believe as much as the Steelers seem to want to keep Bell they will also listen to offers to trade him. If Bell is so interested in maximizing his earnings in which I believe he won't get from the Steelers he will sign the tag and be traded. Some team out there I believe will give up two 1st round picks.

What I can't wrap my head around is saying he doesn't want to play under the tag. He will be guaranteed 14.5 mill. Paying a running back 14.5 mill to me is insane especially with how cap strapped we are, and in need of defensive help.

I feel his reps as well as him are looking at 5 years at 70mill. That's 14 a year. And of course with plenty of upfront money ala signing bonus.

I feel this offense can survive without him and still be a powerhouse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Honestly I wouldn't pay over 12 million, but I know that won't get it done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well considering we just paid him 12 mil you have to think you are going to pay more. Freeman just signed a 5yr 41m contract Bell is gonna get more. Not just Bell but every year the price of FA's goes up, 15 mil is not that far off market value.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's fair enough, I like 12 mil a lot more than 15 but I am not gonna let 3 mil stop us from a sure thing and Bell is a sure thing meaning we know what we have with him and with Ben at the end imo no need to take a step back. jmo

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's pretty far off of what the average running backs market value is by millions, and babying him along while in negotiations by saying they want him for life is in my opinion a stupid thing to say, that alone makes him and his agent think he is indispensable...........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Really cause Freeman is going to make 8 & 9 mil a year in this deal. It don't matter what I say you have a hard on for Bell and you don't want to pay him and that is fine, I want him here. If we spend 10 mil 12 mil or 15 mil I want him of course I want the lowest deal but this guy is a big part of our offense and with only a short time left with Ben no way do I want to take a step back. And yes Bell not being here next year is a step back..........

• Disagree Disagree x 4