1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is a big offseason for GM Kevin Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 18, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    His moves this offseason could determine if the Steelers can win a Super Bowl in this two year window. 2018 might be their best bet because they will still have Bell and Bryant. Colbert needs to find a quality Safety or ILB in free agency, he also needs to draft both positions. We can't afford to draft no stiffs in the first round like Jarvis Jones :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with what you’re saying, but the Steelers had enough talent to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR and failed. They have, arguably, the most talented offense in the NFL and they had six 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders starting on defense. It’s about coaching, scheme and player development. That is where the Steelers are falling short, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    And who drafted those six 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders ?

Maybe your right maybe it’s player development, or maybe some of those picks were reaches by Colbert and Tomlin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think every player that comes into the National Football League us a "reach" to some degree. It's really a crapshoot. We've seen can't miss prospects go bust and afterthoughts drafted in later rounds or not drafted at all turn into All-Pros. You're right in that drafting and signing the right players is crucial, but I honestly believe that coaching is what makes the difference in the NFL and I believe wholeheartedly that the Steelers defensive coaching staff is insufficient. I loved Lake as a player but was happy to see him go. I loved Porter as a player but, IMHO, he absolutely sucks wind as a position coach. We've got a lot of capital tied up in TJ Watt and Bud Dupree. Do we really trust Joey Porter to be able to nurture and develop them into true professional both on and off the field?

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're wrong they had one playmaker on defense and that was Shazier, I think they need a few more pieces on defenses to get over the hump.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    :eek:

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally agree, I feel like we need to hit FA at both positions but also draft them positions as well. Not only is our starters bad but the back up are bad as well. Wilcox and Golden offer us nothing so cut them and get some potential in here at lest we would have hope.

One thing though do you really think KC drafts a guy with the thought of them being a bust? Um no and the draft is not that easy, I mean really AB was a 6th rounder look at Hunt and Kamara this year and how about Russell Wilson all of which many other GM's missed on. It isn't an easy process otherwise guys like I mentioned would be 3rd or lower round picks.......

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Looks like Dupree will be added to this list.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Can' really say Dupree is a bust. He just may not be a star. Probably doesn't live up to his athletic abilities. He wouldnt' be the first.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Letting Wilcox go is a no brainer. Cap savings and no playing time. Golden will stay. When they clean out Mitchells locker for the last time there will only be 3 safeties left. With Wilcox gone that leaves 2. On the active roster. Golden is decent on special teams and does know the system, whatever that is.
    To thin to let Golden go. Draft a safety high to pair with Davis and hopefully find a diamond later in the draft. Dangerfield is in the mix as well.
    As long as they get rid of Mitchell they are on the right track...

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I don't know about that, my biggest problem with Bud is the number of missed tackles. As for the sacks or lack of them I am not sure if that is him or scheme. I know a lot of people want to get on him for his pass rush but is it by design? I have red they are asking him to rush outside so the QB steps up and we get more sacks from the inside. If that is true does that make Dupree a bust?

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True he wouldn't be the first. But, he was a 1st round pick. And expected to come in here and be dominate. Far from the truth. I feel Chickillo has as much upside and he was a 6th rounder.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Would you give him the 5th year option?

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree, I am letting Mitchell, Wilcox and R. Golden go bye bye. I am keeping Davis, M. Golden and Dangerfield. I am signing a S to be a starter and maybe sign a guy like Byrd(900k) cheap to add depth and draft at least one S if not two. We know if R.Golden has to play we are screwed so get someone else, jmo.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No, hell no not at that money but does that make him a bust? I am not sure if giving a 5th year option has anything to do with being a bust or not.

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    How am I wrong when I said they had six 1st rounders and three second rounders starting on defense? My point is when the majority of your defense consists of 1st and 2nd round draft picks we ought to get more in return. Is Colbert and company (including Tomlin) missing on all of these guys or is our defensive coaching staff failing to develop them adequately. I believe the latter!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well if they don't have faith in him ala Jarvis Jones to give him the 5th year option I would say yes. Has he done more then Jones? A 2x4 could do more. Yes he has done more then Jones. But he has been a major disappointment.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Malik Golden reached an injury settlement with the Steelers last season. Groin. He wasn't on the active roster. He was signed to a reserve/future deal and will be on the practice squad if he can stay healthy. Maybe a diamond in the rough? Who knows.

I agree that Robert Golden is not worth keeping, but he is a healthy body at this point and can play special teams. With both Dangerfield and the other Golden coming off significant injuries doesn't bode well. Both were waived due to injury. Hopefully they can bounce back.

The safety position has become to me high priority. But, with the Bell situation looming I feel that they will find a new starter as well as a back up in the draft.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Comparing Jones to Dupree is two different things and two different situations one has nothing to do with the other. Being a bust and being a disappoint aren't the same either, at least Dupree has shown he can do it we just don't know if it is scheme or ability. Our expectations are way high so of course Bud is going to be disappointing, also how many time has our DE's been over looked in our system? That is due to the scheme, which if I am reading right has a lot to do with Dupree's rushing ability......but nothing to do with his lack of tackling ability

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You said you thought they were good enough to win the SB, they gave up 38 points to the Jags, they weren't going to beat the Eagles. You can scheme all you want, you aren't going to hide your deficiencies guys like Mitchell and Spence. Watt had hit the rookie wall by this point, no coaching is going to fix that :shrug:.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  22. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep! Picks like Jones and Ziggy Hood have killed the defense's progress...

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Colbert's task is really twofold this offseason.

1st is to fill the gaps at positions like corner, inside linebacker (unexpected), and even runningback (Bell and the front office are each playing with fire)

2nd is to maintain team cohesiveness and avoid a meltdown. bad blood like Harrison getting bumped back in a messy divorce and displeasure from Bryant and Bell must be sewn up one way or another for this team to be successful.

The Steelers failed to reach the Super Bowl because all season they had lingering issues that hung over the team like a piano tied to a frayed rope. Colbert needs to purge the roster of players who don't really want to be here and come to an agreement with Le'Veon that BOTH sides benefit from. I would rather see Bell traded than the front office caving to his unreasonable demands and risk properly funding the offensive line unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    It's mornic to pay 100% more than the top RB salary; if that's what Bell wants, make this short and just release him and move on.

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Oh, and, in case you missed it, they weren't going to beat the Pats either. :facepalm: