1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why CBS?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DSteelerCT, Jan 27, 2018.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're the one who claimed a coach couldn't be good unless he won a superbowl. Now you're putting conditions on it? Make up your mind.

2. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Switzer won two years after Jimmy Johnson was gone. At what point does it stop becoming Jimmy’s team after he left the building? Tomlin also took the Steelers to the Super Bowl in 2010, with Ben, Ward, Polamalu, etc. That was four years after Cowher was gone. Are you really saying Tomlin doesn’t get any of the credit? Does Pete Carroll get credit for the Patriots winning in 2001? He was out the door the same amount of time Jimmy Johnson was. How about Mike Shanahan in Denver with Dan Reeves players? Or George Seifert winning two superbowls (one a full six years after Bill Walsh left) with the 49ers?

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You lost me when u said harbaugh.lol sample to small to call him a success imo

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The early pats gets credit from parcells. Not Pete. But bill proved himself by winning with totally different players minus Brady who he drafted. And those two years those same players he won' with had already been hall of fasmers who won RINGS. What did he employ that Jimmy hasn't already employed. They only lost to San Fran because they got deion... They literally should have won 4 straight if not for the greatest corner ever. Seifeet falls in the boat a little but he won with Steve young. Not Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana, Haley, Craig etc... They were a completely diff team in 95. With the exception of the goat. Reeves won how many rings? AND shannahan was the guy who discovered the most important and best player on their Superbowl teams. TERRELL DAVIS. No td no rings. Even Shannon Sharpe said that he carried them and not elway.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok let me rephrase it then. You'r only a good coach if you won a Superbowl and played a roll in developing the players you won with. Not a bandwagon on a already built team. Look at Andy Reid. Very good coach. But what's the knock on him? He CAN'T get it done. Marty schotthemier(know I spelled it wrong). Jeff Fisher. I cab go on. These guysxare all viewed in different lights simply because they didn't win the big one..

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

So Tomlin is a great coach. No matter how you twist it he fits your definition. He’s won a SB and developed players that helped him do it(woodley, Timmons,gay,Mendy..).

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    How about Gruden with Tony Dungy’s team? My point is there are so many examples of coaches winning with players from previous coaching regimes. It doesn’t make their success any less impressive. They still have to coach, manage egos, etc. Some start in better situations than others, like Switzer, Gruden. I don’t give Jimmy Johnson a third Super Bowl ring for the 95 team like it seems you do, though. Tomlin won in 08, not Cowher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m just passing through but that looks like game set and match for this one.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, by your definition, Coryell wasn't a great coach? What he accomplished here in San Diego was a phenomenal and breakthrough offense. Several HOFers on that team. Not Coryell's fault that the Chokers lame ownership wouldn't get him a defense, and this praise comes from someone who hates the Chargers more than any other team in any sport!!
    You also wouldn't put Marv Levy in the good category. 4 straight SB games? That'll never be repeated.
    You need to change the bulb in your light!

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So answer this question. If you call those type guys good. What do you call the belchicks, parcells, and bill Walshs of the world? Gods?

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Gay wasn' even a top 10 player on that Steelers team he was trash. Timmons was a decent player. Woodley was a pretty good player but did tomlin develop any of them into hall of famers. So you'e comparing developing those guys to a Michael Irvin, troy aikman, and enmitt smith?

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Young man you will need to do a whole lot more than play deflect and whataboutism games.

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Oh look He changed the criteria again :roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So if you look at my post about Jimmy Johnson did I mention hall of famers or average Joe's? Also big Ben, ward, polamalu, James Harrison, Casey Hampton etc were all there prior to tomlin in 07. How did he develop any of them when they were the primary reason we won. Not william gay lol he played next to zero role in that sb.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And I forgot all about farrior. All those games I named were better than everyone he tried to so call say "tomlin developed" lol...

16. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    One thing I'm proud of is that nobody can say that about Chuck Noll..who built the greatest NFL team of all time from nearly nothing!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Doesn’t matter what you mentioned there. Your criteria was “develop players”. As was clearly shown Tomlin met your criteria, but you chose to change it yet once again. Since you brought up Harrison. When did he become a starter? Oh that’s right It was under Tomlin. He was riding the pine under Cowher.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Agree Cowher was far from perfect. Don't know if he would've done more with Ben or not. He never had a true top shelf QB until Ben for sure, but Cowher also was Marty ball 2.0. Him and Tomlin are pretty comparable as Steeler coaches in the post season. Losing when they shouldn't, falling short while fielding a better team... And playing above their worth.

Everything is debatable and always will be. Both coaches have earned admiration as well as a good fist shaken in their direction and both have fielded teams that appeared to have whatever attitudes in big games. Cowher checked out his last season and the team went right along with him. I haven't seen Mike check out, I just see him not being able to keep his house in order on a consistent basis and the team reflects it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't like Parcells but, I would call the Bellychuck really good, but a cheater when he doesn't even have to be. Landry, Noll, Grant, Levy............outstanding! Walsh? Perhaps the best. I would call Zeus a God!

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Riding the pine behind Joey porter.. if an established proven pro bowlers is in front of you I would expect you to ride the pine. Even Bledsoe started in front of Brady and Brady only took his spot because HE GOT HURT. And lol then by that definition every coach is great since just a guy playing for you as a starter means you "developed" him lol.