1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why CBS?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DSteelerCT, Jan 27, 2018.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

By what metric was Saban a failure as an nfl head coach? Chip Kelly took over a 4-12 team and went 10-6 each of his first two years, but was a failure? So basically in your eyes the only way a coach is any good is if he wins the Super Bowl?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Apparently you fail to remember how heavily favored the Cowboys were with their bulldozing offensive line, leading the league in rushing Emmit Smith and a very good passing attack. Nearly all the analysts didn't give the Steelers a chance at all. Cowher had his team laser focused for that game and nearly pulled the upset if it weren't for O'Donnel's "it just slipped" passes. Oh' and the Steelers defense completely shut Emmitt Smith down holding him to 49 total yards rushing. He did have 2 short yardage TD's but they were a direct result of the terrible INT's.

Cowher had his faults but that game wasn't one of them. The surprise on sides kick was brilliant.

Now if you want to talk about the 94 Chargers debacle then I'll agree on that one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Kelly was a failure. His little scheme caught every one off guard but then they caught up to it and the team was trash. And someone can be a GOOD coach without winning it all. A Andy Reid type of guy. Good but not great. But the thing you are missing if any of those guys were "good" they'd still be employed. Also Kelly failed in SAN FRAN. I forgot all about that. A non failure who left is someone like harabaugh. But he is looking bad in college I think he should have stayed in the nfl.

5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Doesn’t matter what odds makers think. If Cowher had O’donnel Prepared he wouldn’t have thrown those two interceptions. It’s the same bs claim y’all make about Tomlin. If it’s tomlin’s Fault the Steelers lost to the jags it’s Cowher’s fault for losing the super bowl.you don’t get it both ways. Thanks for reminding about the chargers game. Yet another example of Cowher not having his team prepared.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

For a football analyst you certainly don’t do much analyzing. It’s just fail, excuse, fail. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Don’t forget the old adage about teenagers. Let them leave Home while they still know everything.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I honestly think O'Donnel purposely threw that game and was paid off by Jerry Jones to do so but I'll hold onto that conspiracy theory for myself. During that season O'Donnel had the 2nd highest passer rating of all time behind none other than Joe Montana. Balls were "not just slipping" out of his hands that season except in the SB.

It was well known that #14 was going to the JETS before that game even ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m just going to ignore the whole conspiracy theory.

Only one ball slipped. The other was a hot read. If I remember correctly rookie Corey Holiday was in for an injured Hastings and missed the read.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yup in my opinion a only winning a sb makes you good. There you go. And I analyzed every coaches situation individually so try again. You the same one that keeps thinking coming in 2nd place makes you good lol. But maybe because I'm a competitor I only see first as success...

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

So there have only been 31(?) good coaches in NFL history. If you say so.

Since your future HC has a losing record have you told him your thoughts on his abilities?

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody new that. Nobody even knew who his suitors were at that point. He was very close to re-signing with the Steelers actually.

Here's part of a write up from Peter King:

The voice on the other end of the line sounded defiant, stern
    and, agent Leigh Steinberg thought, a bit desperate. New York
    Jets president Steve Gutman was calling to up the ante for
    free-agent quarterback Neil O'Donnell. The deal: five years, $25
    million, including a $7 million signing bonus. From Gifford to
    Namath to Gastineau to Taylor, no New York football player had
    ever received an opportunity like this. "This is our final
    offer," Steinberg recalls Gutman saying on the night of Feb. 27.
    "There is not going to be another penny--not another penny!--added
    to this package."

The Jets' deal was for $1.25 million more per year than
    O'Donnell was being offered to stay with the Pittsburgh
    Steelers. Yet, odd as it may seem, O'Donnell, torn between
    returning to the AFC champion Steelers or migrating to the
    woeful Jets, almost didn't take it. In fact, 21 hours after
    Gutman made his final offer, O'Donnell told Steinberg, "Leigh,
    I'm comfortable in Pittsburgh. I don't want to leave [coach]
    Bill Cowher." But then, moments later, O'Donnell said he wanted
    to review the two proposals again. Four hours after that, just
    before midnight on Feb. 28, as he sat at the dining room table
    in his suburban New Jersey house with Steinberg, wife Leslie and
    family friend Bob Bryant, Neil still hadn't committed. So
    Steinberg tore four pieces of paper from his yellow legal pad
    and said, "Let's vote: Steelers or Jets."

There would be no straw poll, however, because Neil had already
    decided. "You don't have to vote," he said. "I'm going to the
    Jets."

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting. One of the biggest free agent mistakes in the last 25 years. As much as I like to denigrate O'Donnell, had he stayed with the Steelers I honestly believe they could have won a Super Bowl or two with him. But now, Steeler Nation will never know. I had forgotten that the offers were that close. I thought the Steelers were offering 5 years and $20 million.

Edit: I re-read it and see that the Steelers offer was for less than $20 million total. I initially thought the total package was for $1.25 million less. He'd have still been much better off staying in Pittsburgh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

5 years 25 million
    1.25 million less per year.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, I went back and re-read it and edited my response. I thought the Steelers were offering a $20 million package but it was less than that according to King.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’ve had just enough to drink it required reading twice as well.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Barry Switzer was a good coach????
    And Marv Levy wasn't?????

17. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Just my opinion, but you can be successful without winning it all. Tom Coughlin was a real good college coach before moving to the NFL. Same with Jim Harbaugh.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We didn't know... Pretty sure him and his agent did know. Not saying his mind was made up prior too the XXX's outcome, but I'm sure the idea of here, there, wherever was already in motion.

Hate that those things could be influences on player/coach psyche. Teams asking for permission to interview coaches who are in the midst of game planning BIG games... Agents throwing out scenarios to athletes who should be primarily focused on the current task at hand. Sure, they ought to be big enough boys to prioritize stuff but still I don't think they need the distractions or possible distractions.

XXX still pisses me off! I really thought history would be on our side in that one. I knew the Cowboys by a wide margin were favorited and had the talent to blow Pitt out of the water fairly easily. Felt the same had they faced the 9ers the year prior. Those NFC teams just seemed superior at that time... But Pitt man had some serious heart and quite a bit of talent. I believed they were gonna win so much I opened my first charge account with good guys and got the monster 40" tube TV h ahahahahahahaha... They should've won that game! They had all the momentum... Hell of a game! Been fighting cowboy fans ever since on the would a could as hahahahahaha

That TV was F'n HEAVY!

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you forgot about the Steelers losing the AFCCG in 1994,1997,2001 as favorites :shrug:.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's a convenient excuse for many Steelers fans, Cowher was great he just didn't have a great QB until 2004 is their favorite excuse.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    This kind of discussion frustrates me as a football fan. First off, it is all a matter of perspective. In 1995, the Cowboys were still the best team in the NFL. If youre angered about Pittsburgh losing because Switzer was the head coach of Dallas, we see football from two completely different realms. Jerry Jones hired Switzer because he was well liked, consistently fielded top teams, and was a great strategist. Pittsburgh lost that game because they did nothing on offense for the first quarter and a half.

You have to be a real good coach to win a Super Bowl. No patsy head coach has ever won the Super Bowl. Every coach is also different. There are as many college coaches that succeeded in the NFL as failed. If Pittsburgh hires Urban Meyer tomorrow, I wouldn’t be thinking about how Spurrier and Saban and Chip Kelly didn’t pan out.

Same thing with NFL quarterbacks. Why do people assume Sam Darnold will fail because Leinart, John David Booty, and Barkley didn’t pan out? What university actually does consistently shell out good QBs? And don’t even get me started on judging QBs solely on how many Superbowls they won...

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh no. As much as I'd like to forget them they are indelibly burned into my memory bank. :facepalm:

As I mentioned earlier, Cowher was far from perfect. I just believe he could have done more with Ben as his QB than Tomlin has. Maybe that's a misplaced belief and we'll never get to test that hypothesis.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. That is the way I remember it. Really, they were the better team, but Cowher ball got us in position to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I was real excited and expecting a drive that would have tied the game or won it until the moment O`Donnell threw the pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Switzer wasn' the reason his team won. He won with Jimmy's players with the addition of deion. You really think he had to to employ and tell a Michael Irvin, enmitt smith, troy aikman, deion Sanders, Charles Haley etc.. team how to win after they had already won 2 sbs and if it wasn' for deion going to San Fran would have be on a quest to 4 peat... that was just like tomlin winning with ben, ward, polamalu, etc...

25. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    It's disturbing how unprepared Cowher led teams were: SB XXX, 96 playoffs in NE, 97 playoffs vs NE ( although both were flat), 97 AFCCG, 2001 AFCCG, 02 vs Browns (though they came back to win), vs Titans the next game, and 04 AFCCG.

Some of those games ( SB 30, Titans & Browns games) were games the Steelers made a game of. But I never felt for one second they were gonna beat the Pats in 01 and 04, despite what the flattering final score would say.