1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we tag Bell? Make your case!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 20, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Haley might be headed for clownland maybe bell follows? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And we got pretty uch nothing out of him this season.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Got off to a hot start play a good half opening game then got hurt and never was the same

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would tag him....Let him retire...if he shows up late...I might try to trade him once he signs the tag.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather keep him. The Steelers are better with him than without him. He is the best in the game right now. But he is going to end up on a bottom feeder with lots of cash to offer and realize maybe winning is better after all

HACK

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yep. He was pretty ineffective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Let the distraction go we don't need that we need to take a blueprint from you know who, they wouldn't put up with Bell. I say draft we 3rd down back and see what Connor can do..

7. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Concerned about his 4.0 YPC...pretty pedestrian...heck, below pedestrian. Maybe all those carries are taking their toll.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They wouldn't have to put up with Bell, it would have been corrected before it became a problem.

The NE/Jax game should tell us everything we need to know. We have a terrific offence that can score on anybody, but our defence absolutely sucks. Hopefully losing Haley doesn't mess with what was working, but getting rid of Bell will definitely affect our offence. He was a massive part of our offence. Distraction or not, we didn't lose because of anyone on offence, we lost due to defence. Tomlin needs to crack down on these guys doing stupid things, but we don't necessarily need to get rid of them. Our offence was the only reason we had a chance in that Jax game. Lets fix what's broken and leave everything else alone

9. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Move on to a new rb that wants to be here and use the money on our defense. Offense is not the issue, remember the steel curtain.

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    LeVeon Bell on the roster is worth two Reggie Bushes?

Let's both not quit our day jobs.

11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Smart move -- the Steelers can troll for trade offers that much earlier as they negotiate.

12. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This!!! I think a team would be crazy to lock him up lock-term for the money's he's demanding. I'd use the non-exclusive tag, if anything. He's selfish, distracting, one failed drug test away from a year-long suspension, and I suspect his body's begun to break down from the workload he's carried for the past few years.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hunt and Kamara got drafted in the 3rd round. RB's are so easy to find!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    This is a business. Why let him become a competitor? Tag him. If he wants to sit out the season, so be it but he won't be beating you. Optionally he can sign a contract with Pittsburgh with the understanding he will be traded, preferably to teams 27 through 32. It becomes his decision.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Put the nonexclusive tag on him

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    People need to stop talking about trading him. They can't. Please understand the rules before you post.

The foolishness about his attitude needs to stop, too. The Steelers didn't lose to the Jaguars because Bell talked about his future, or any of the other distractions. They lost because the defense sucks and the offense was out of sync in the first half after the long layoff.

You know why that game was close? Because the Steelers have so many playmakers on offense, and Bell is one of them. They aren't letting him walk. They are going to franchise tag him. They also aren't going to sign him long term because they don't trust him to hold up physically or avoid another drug suspension over the long term. He will be a Steeler for one more season and that's it.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is another reason you tag him rather than sign him long term.

18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  19. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    If he and his agent know Pitt and Team X have negotiated or are negotiating a trade contingent upon him signing a non-exclusive rights tag on him....

Or is this not how it goes?

It’s probably not allowed to be done like that, but if I were Pitt-wouldn’t I float that around if I wanted to shop him?

And I don’t understand the rules, so I’m asking.

20. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I think they will tag him and work out a deal. They may offer him the same deal they did last year with a few more guaranteed dollars. I think he will bite this time, since Ben is coming back. Was Ben still pondering his return when Bell was negotiating? I can't remember. With rumors of Ben playing 3 more years I think that may be enough for him to want to stay.

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Deep rb class. Lsu has 2 nfl backs coming out. Georgia has 2. Kelly from Tenn. Thats 5 that i would take in a heartbeat. Doesnt even cover whole country

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    A couple of points from some of the comments ...

Non-exclusive Fran tag: I don't see this happening and here's why. No team is going to give up two 1st rd picks for a RB. The only position is see getting this compensation is a QB and a very good one at that.

The only reason to do it is to massage Bells ego and let him think he still has the power and ability to negotiate ( like a true UFA) with other teams but his agent knows better AND.... We're still on he hook for 14+Mil in 2018 if he doesn't sign elsewhere!

Trade- not able until he signs the tag. Who will trade for a one year player and what's the compensation? Might happen and even a 6 rd pick is better than nothing. If the new team can work out a long term deal maybe the compensation goes up to a 3rd rd pick.

Let'em walk- can he be replaced ? How to spend the 14 we would have used on him? Comp pick received?

Cajun

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Too late, we fired our OC and have done absolutely nothing with our defensive coaching staff.

We've fixed what's not broken and are leaving everything else, namely a defensive coaching staff that's presided over the regression of some decent 1 and 2 draft picks, in place. :facepalm:

Weak leadership by Tomlin. I guess the status quo on defense is okay. I guess giving up big play after big play during the season and into the playoffs is okay. I guess making glorified semi-pro quarterbacks look like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning is okay. I guess getting ripped by a mediocre quarterback and a mediocre offense in a one and done playoff appearance is okay. I guess not being able to support your offense by expecting the defense to hold a team that scored 10 points the previous week below 42 points is okay. I guess leaving your buddy, J Peezy, in a position that he's obviously failing miserably in is okay. I just don't get it! I'm going to be very disappointed in Mr. Rooney if he doesn't step in and say Coach Tomlin, somebody is going to be held accountable for this defensive performance NOW! We're not waiting around until next year to see if it gets better. We've been waiting and it isn't getting better. Fix it NOW and start with firing Joey Porter and Carnell Lake! :frustrated:

#FJPI #FCLI

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  25. BlacknGoldBlood

BlacknGoldBlood Active Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Bell is a necessary evil for the team. If we tag him he will sit out training camp, make raps about how he feels, whine to the press etc. Unfortunately IMO he is worth the problems he sometimes brings. He is a major cog in the offense and definitely has bailed Ben out many times. I don't believe ANY RB is worth 15 mil a year due to longevity but if he is tagged again I think that is what he will be getting. If someone wants to pay him more than that then let him go otherwise let him complain all he wants as long as he continues to be productive on the field. Come 2019 let him go to the highest bidder because he will be on the downswing for a RB.