1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Delay of game penalty

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Of all the strange calls in the Jax game this one has me completely baffled.

I am having a hard time figuring how this was possible. Any official types out there please explain.

2nd down started at 2:43 a timeout was called by NE at 2:23 [20seconds elapsed] 3rd down started at 2:23 jax hit a 12 yard pass but a DELAY OF GAME PENALTY WAS CALLED --then again a 3rd down play started at 2:23.

Now i might have flunked 3rd grade arithmetic but if the rule says there are 40 seconds between plays HowTF could it be possible that there was a delay of game. That call was a possible 14pt swing in the game and at least a very probable 10 pt swing.

If necessary I can verify this from the offfical gamebook

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Clock doesn't restart until an official snap happens after a time out. Play clock is independent of the game clock.

It was close, but the play clock DID hit zero.

Now, if it was NE, I'm sure that last second would have extended for 3-4 seconds. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    It seemed weird because the flag seemed to come after the completion, like the refs were waiting to see the outcome before throwing it. Is there a video of when the flag was actually thrown? There was no whistle and nobody seemed to stop playing like you normally see if there's a whistle or the ref runs in waving his arms.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed. But the replay showed the clock hit zero before the snap.

Cue up conspiracy theorists saying the video was edited... (not me. But someone should. ;))

5. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    " Play clock is independent of the game clock"

What I saw was Jax came out of the TO lined up and ran a play. There should have been 20 seconds on the play clock. Maybe a few seconds elapsed while he was calling signals. There is no way the play clock runs during a TO. Something is wrong. They are supposed to put back the time on the play clock to sync it with the whistle to start the next play after the TO. No way it took 20 secs to get the play off. Jax was screwed.

To add insult to injury, Jax ran two more plays and somehow there still was 2sec before the 2min warrning. NE still had there 3rd TO and plenty of time to score. A possible 14 pt swing and a very probable at least 10 pt swing.

Now one more question. On a similar situation last week the clock was reset at 1. The annoncer said no it was not a homer deal he said the nfl controls the clock. the Question

Who controls the play clock?

6. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    okay I was wrong on the delay penalty down. It came on 3rd down after NE did their 2nd TO with 2:23 left.

But anyhow, HowTF do you get a delay of game after a TO. Unreal! Here is how that disastrous final min's played out from the official gamebook.

2-11-NE 48 (2:43) (Shotgun) T.Yeldon up the middle to NE 44 for 4 yards (E.Lee, M.Butler). Timeout #2 by NE at 02:23. 3-7-NE 44 (2:23) (Shotgun) B.Bortles pass short right to M.Lewis to NE 32 for 12 yards (P.Chung) [D.Wise]. PENALTY on JAX-B.Bortles, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at NE 44 - No Play. 3-12-NE 49 (2:23) (Shotgun) B.Bortles sacked at JAX 45 for -6 yards (A.Butler). Penalty on JAX-C.Robinson, Offensive Holding, declined. 4-18-JAX 45 (2:09) B.Nortman punts 40 yards to NE 15, Center-C.Holba, fair catch by D.Amendola. New England Patriots at 2:02

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As we were saying the gameday thread, I've seen that not called too many times before. Ben himself gets away with quite a bit.

8. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    I do seem to recall seeing something like that in a recent game here. Which one of those recent videos in the link referred to it?

Anyway, I listened to several national talk shows this morning, no one could recall that penalty being called after a TO. I got the idea it was as rare as finding an albino alligator. Jax was flim flammed. I did find this explanation of the rule.

In the NFL, teams have 40 seconds timed from the end of the previous down, or 25 seconds after the ball is declared ready for play after certain administrative stoppages and game delays.

In many football games, the play clock is managed by the back judge who is positioned behind the defense and faces the quarterback. When the play clock counts down to 5 seconds remaining, some back judges will raise their arm over their head to warn the quarterback, and rotate their arm downward to their leg, counting down the final seconds. A penalty flag for delay is thrown afterward. The infraction typically results in a five-yard penalty.

You do know that you have to be incredibly lame to allow this to happen. I'm started to believe somehow NE has mastered the sci-fi or comic book ploy of mind control.

9. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Yeah, I saw that too. I was complaining first about the weird flag. But my wife rewinded the tv and it did hit 0 before the snap making it a legit penalty.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Belicheat.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    I did not tape the game and really was not watching that close but anyhow, You do know that you have to be incredibly lame to allow this to happen. I'm starting to believe somehow NE has mastered the sci-fi or comic book ploy of mind control.

12. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I didnt tape it. I have Direct tv, so you can rewind in the middle of the game. But I get what you're saying.

13. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I thought it was odd that they never showed the replay of the delay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It was a bogus call.They never reset the clock correctly . The Jags played a great game I told my cuz when that call was made that it would change the entire game.

NE got another call to help set up the score the WR was clubbing the DB in the head and they called PI on the DB . Gronk pushed off on every route until he got knocked out and it was never called.

The bottom line is there is really no way to beat them . If I was a Coach I would know you are going to get cheated and take any cheap shot you can on any Important player you can .

They not going to win fair and square so why are we playing by the rules ? Good for the Jags making a old school hit on Gronk they needed just a few more of those types on other players.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Jags needed a old school hit on Brady :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    PWP said:
    It was a bogus call.They never reset the clock correctly . The Jags played a great game I told my cuz when that call was made that it would change the entire game.

That was my concern too. That game might be rebroadcast on NFL network tonight at 9 or 10. I'm going to try and time it. The rule was spelled out in an earlier post.

TBH, I actually can't say I watched the game. We were playing cards and there was a tv in the corner a few others were watching but when that play occurred they were hollering watch this you won't believe it. a devastating delay of penalty call. LMAO

Now had that not been called and Jax made a TD 21-3, not for one second would I have thought NE was not going to win the game. I would have bet it and figured 31-21 but maybe even 38-21. That call just gave them an exscuse to lose.

Nonetheless what little I did see was Jax was approaching the LS, got set and did the play. Delay??? By rule there are 25 seconds after a TO to do the play I would presume after the ref places the ball and signals for play to resume. Why would the play clock be started ahead of that? Did Jax get short changed here? Could they possibly be that careless? [being polite]

My reason for concern here is because I am wondering when NE is going to win a freaking game that doesn't require an asterisk. I am serious, they certainly don't need that but it keeps happening.

17. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It’s a call that is never made if 12 is throwing the ball. It’s every call or non call at every important time in every important game. It’s just mind boggling how it works. I can almost bet that if the fumble would have been hidden a little better from camera views that gets overturned even though there would not have been sufficient evidence to do so. That’s almost fact. They looked at it and said we can change the call it’s to obvious we can make up for it later.

18. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    threads like this make me ashamed to be a steelers fan..... Just stop. NFL is not rigged, NFL has horrible officiating and majority of fans don't understand the rules. Here is the truth, NE has the best coach that makes sure every single player knows wtf to do. We have a horrible coach that can't even get players to show up to practice or game day on time.

The earth is not flat and the NFL is not rigged. Lose with dignity and we will get them when either Brady/Bellifat retire or Mike Tomlin is replaced. Or I stop betting on the Steelers to cover.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. petekoutromanos

petekoutromanos Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    How do you know Belicheck is a great coach because they say it on NFL network a million times, what New England assistant coach that has left for a head coach job ever done anything? didn't they learn from the great head coach? I know in the world of business people learn from their mentors, why doesn't any of them succeed is it maybe because they don't get these mysterious calls all the time during important games? I wonder but o yeah DO YOUR JOB video has been drilled in your head, and you think Tomlin is like Yo man go smoke some weed and don't do your job so maybe then I will loose my million dollar head coaching job, give me a break,open your eyes

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It was like a month ago you said you were done. Please be a man of your word.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

They play the victim card well. Or at least try to.

• Like Like x 1
  22. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    You must live in a closet....News flash ...these guys have been busted for cheating a number of ways for a decade!!they have had 9 penalties called on them in 5 weeks..None for holding..Now if you watch football holding happens every play!!! They get GAME CHANGING ,MOMENTUM CHANGING penalties called against there competition every week..that is fact....I'm not saying it is fixed,but with any multi million dollar business there is ALWAYS that possibility...they are very good,they are well coached,and consistently beat teams with more talent...With some help from the guys in striped shirts!...Just the way I feel...Doesn't matter how many super bowls this coach/QB combo wins...they will always have an asteric***** next to them in my book!

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Get that man a box of Kleenex

24. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017

25. THREE RIVER SHIVER

Oct 24, 2017
    Lol...not crying about anything....Just stating my opinion.There are plenty out their who feel the same way. If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd....it's most likely a turd..