1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers need a upgrade at NT

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 15, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This guy is a stud Washington's Vita Vea 6'5 340 lbs, he would help in run defense and has some pass rush ability. I like Hargrave but he was invisible this season, after a promising rookie season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Vea looks to be a stud NT.

I know he's alot taller, but he really plays a Casey Hampton style of game.

He holds the point of attack and smiles at the constant double teams. He owns the LOS.

The big drawback is that he doesn' make alot of plays in the backfield. But the LOS is his.

This was indeed a bad year for Hargrave but I don't think the scheme is helping him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Holla Notta sp Ravens parlayed with him for 2 super bowl wins

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

Well said SteelCity. I would expect no less. :)

The Okie schematics of the 3-4 defense are not coming back; doubly so for the dominating days of pass rus- I mean "Outside Linebackers". That style of defense just does not cut it in today's NFL; formation based defenses the same.

The overall scheme is what is ultimately hindering Hargrave's, Dupree's and Tuitt's full potential. A new scheme is required to take full advantage of the fact.

The question remains is that if Tomlin and Butler are willing to go that far to a degree in order to fix the defense? Drafting players are not guaranteed to solve main issues but to combat personnel weakness. Once those weaknesses have been ironed out, the next step is to compose and construct a product which can unleash every single player's talent.

To that end, that aspect does befalls on both Tomlin and Butler. Until they drastically change the style of defense, expect more of the same.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you can change parts in a style or scheme...and there's this thing called a DL rotation. If we had an effective (mccullers is not the guy) big NT to substitute in when needed I would hope to see him in at times. Why they are using Gravedigger, at times, in this role is what needs to change. Alualu subbing in all over the place is great, but I think a big interior presence is needed to help spell Gravedigger when situational football calls for it.

Do they need to go looking in the first 2 rounds, I would say not. But if a guy with that skillset is there in rounds 3 or later, I would pull the trigger. Need to replace Big Dan anyway. They don't need a guy with huge sack numbers either. I would be looking for a guy to control the LOS and take on double teams. Leave the interior pass rushing to Gravedigger when the situations arise.

BJ Hill from NC State will be in the Senior Bowl and could be a target. 6'4 320 or so. A lot of starts and doesn't look to need to be "the man" on the dline getting all the pass rush glory which derails some guys imo. Just a guy to monitor as the draft approaches.

Vita Vea may go higher than what I would look to in the draft as FS and ILB may be needed more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    take a look at tyler lancaster from northwestern. he's a very good under the radar guy. i was reading some write ups on him saying "he was an immovable object in the middle of NW's front and was most of the reason they were the 9th ranked run defense in the country". 6-3 315 4.98. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I suggested we needed a NT 3 years ago and had the idea totally slammed.

This year I watched teams easily running the ball up the middle.

Hmmm.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Haloti Ngata, he's old and has been dealing with injuries no thanks.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see Steelers take a late round NT that is mean and doesn't want to be blocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't write correctly, a Ngata type player is what I was suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    So was I!!!!!! Hell, it may have been @steelersrule6 that was the culprit... :lolol:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think vea is to slow. Big yes but we need a couple of big guys that can run. They would fit better in our sub packages. That's why I was looking at a guy like Lancaster. Still 315 but has a sub 5.0 40. Can hold his ground and still run down the line in run defense and in the short area in a pass rush. I will say I like our players here and I do think tuitt will be back to his previous style. He was hurt all year and it showed. A faster DT type over a NT or typical 3-4 type DE. :cool:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well after watching Hargrave be invisible this season they need a alternative at NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Right there with ya, I think my target was Malcolm Brown the DT from Texas whom the Cheatriots nabbed at the end of round 1.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Anybody know how Stevie T from U So.Cal panned out. I thought he could of been a potential late round steal last years draft but we went with a LS instead.......smh.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Tu'ikolovatu? No stats for the year, so maybe he was on the PS?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    If we did draft another NT could we move to a 4-3?

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt it

20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Why?

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Tuitt and Heyward aren't 4/3 DE

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, thats not accurate. They dont even need to draft another NT to do it. Hargarve and Alualu could rotate with Heyward and Tuiit who would play interior not DE.

Also, they wont be drafting a replacement for Hargrave, if they do, it will be for Big Dan. People saying Hargrave didnt play well need to put in the tape. He does a good job when in there.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe they could. with Hargrave (Draft choice) Allulla you have a pretty stout DL

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. tuitt and heyward played outside and inside in college. alualu did play some interior as well in jacksonville and played it pretty good. walton has played well too when in the game. i also agree with blast that hargraves has played pretty good. if tuitt gets healthy again he is a force. last year he took over when cam was out. if we ever get these two healthy again together we will see a stud D front. :cool:

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why can't they stop the run if Hargrave is doing a good job? Also why is Hargrave coming off the field often?