1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler deserves more time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2018.

1. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Butler gets rewarded for another playoff meltdown and his staff stays intact. This defense is now hitched to the back of Mike Tomlin. Another meltdown and it would be hard for Art II not to go through the roof like most of us are. Mike Munchak is hangng out and could fit right in to that head coaching spot.

3. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I completely agree with you. The RZ d was horrific.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Still dont think they completely fell apart. The 5th game seems to be a key indicator for the start of their problems and yet for the next 5 games they still held opponents to under 20 points. I didnt include the Cleveland game because they barely scored above that, at 24 points.

Im not trying to sound like a stat junkie but you simply dont finish in the top 10 in that many defensive categories if you are awful, you just dont. Regardless of the first 5 games as the next 5 indicates there wasnt a dramatic shift in scoring against them. Its just indicative of when the big plays began.

As for the Jags offense, I dont believe defensive scores are included when calculating a teams offensive output. You might be able to say that the defense puts the offense in good position to score but that just means they have an efficient offense.

I actually like the Jags chances Sunday, they are making a believer out of me.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin doesnt have a lot of rope left with me. Would really be interesting to know when he took over the play calling.

On a different note, Im just learning about Tomlin blowing off the lack of focus and speaking out by Mitchell and Bell. Its no wonder there is no discipline on this team.

I hope someone higher up got in Munchs ear and said, hey, stick around, you might get a shot here.

If the same circus bs is on display next season, Im done with Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I kinda feel the same way, I have been going back and forth on this whole Tomlin thing but the more I read the more I think it is time to go. I am tired of the people who keep saying well that's fine who do you replace him with.......MUNCH!!!!!! It is not like this is a rebuild team all we need is structure and I think Munch would bring that. People want the coaches of the defensive side of the ball to be gone but it won't matter who you bring in if MT keeps putting his hands in things then you will have the same result. idk, jmo

• Like Like x 1
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :unsure:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Not comforting numbers. I'm glad I don't need to worry about the Steelers for much longer. I don't see much good happening for the next couple of years.

9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I disagree on Butler. I think he needs to go. This defense was never ready in the big moments. Who knows what we could do with a different scheme and voice?

We had a relatively easy schedule. So some of those stats are a bit misleading. We NEVER get turnovers. To me that’s one of the biggest defensive statistics. That usually turns into points.

I know we lead the league in sacks, but it dang sure didn’t feel like it. We didn’t get sacks or even pressure when really needed.

Also ton of blown coverages in big moments, which you did elude to with giving up big plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

About 1/5 of those sacks were against the Browns so it't a skewed stat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You believe incorrectly. The Jaguars were fifth in scoring. That scoring included defensive touchdowns.

I assume you've heard the saying, "There are lies, damn lies and statistics." That doesn't mean statistics are always wrong. It means statistics can be manipulated many different ways to show many different things.

The Steelers statistics are skewed. The defense they had the first half of the season is not the one they finished with. Part of that was injuries. Part of it was declining execution. Part was probably teams figuring out what they were doing. Sports are about adjusting, which doesn't seem to be one of Butler's strong suits. Once teams figured out how to attack the Steelers, Butler never seemed to have a counter-move.

Over the final seven games of the season, including the playoff loss to the Jaguars, the Steelers gave up an average of 30.9 points per game. Even that number is skewed by the game against the Texans, who employed a couple of quarterbacks off the street. Without that, they gave up 35.2 points per game. That's awful. If I remember correctly, the fumble return this past Sunday was the only return touchdown in that span, so that was almost all on the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They missed Shazier so much because his speed made up for many deficiencies. He wasn't just good but he covered for others being out of position and, generally, not having much impact. We not only downgraded his spot significantly but there was no one left to make big plays. Our philosophy was basically for the super fast, fragile guy to bail everyone out.

13. stompin69

stompin69 Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Things come a little more in to focus if Big MT was calling even parts of the D. Easy with Shazier in there and running the on field calls, for Mike to later say I was calling the plays. His lack of discipline and overall indicision could easily explain some stupid games that we had this year. I just wonder if he started these defensive duties last year by playing zone the entire damn game last year against NE?

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its stupid to include defensive scores when determining offensive ranking but whatever. It might drop them down from 5th but I doubt it would drop them very far. Then there is this:

1st in rushing
    8th in passing
    8th in receiving
    3rd in total yards
    4th in first downs.

Their defense doesnt have anything to do with those. Trust me, Im shocked by this as well. Everyone is selling this team short. Hope NE does too.

Back to the Steelers. You dont get to wipe away the good and focus on the bad. The first 9 games count. The gist of my OP was that Butler deserves more time because the defense did play very well at times, for a good portion of the season actually. He needs to figure out why things went south and get back to the good defense they were playing. Was it Tomlin taking over play calling? Was it injuries? Was it scheme? He has an offseason to figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not wiping away the good. I'm pointing out that a defense that seemed okay early in the season fell apart, and the defensive coordinator has to take some blame for that. The Patriots were a mess early on defense and got better. That's why they are still playing and very likely to win another Super Bowl. The Steelers started off decent and got worse as the season wore on.

Butler has shown no ability to figure anything out. When the defense faltered this season, he couldn't adapt. It just kept getting worse. His defense looked absolutely helpless in its last two playoff games. I could almost excuse it last season against the Patriots except he failed to make any adjustments at all in that game. The Steelers just kept trotting those same zone defenses out there and Brady tore them apart. The only difference this time is it was a much weaker offense shredding the Pittsburgh's defense with the season on the line.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He adjusted well in some games but not in the playoffs

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, Butler is as good as Belichick said no one ever, lol.

The defense was more than ok at times, especially the first five game, even by your own admission.

18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I thought a lot of sacks came from creative blitz's and you could argue a sack is a sack but teams that can pressure the QB with 4 DL seem to be much more consistent at pressing the QB.

Of course its very difficult to get 4 DL that can produce pressure you really need 5 or 6 as the other team will go hurry up and gas them. I think there should be some time for defenses to rotate guys in n out.

Just very frustrated that Burns and Davis regressed in their second year and Lake is retained. I remember Lake as a great player but that shouldn't be a free ride forever.

19. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes

20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Well, with the report of Tomlin working the defense and calling plays, maybe we need another DC if he needs help from the HC.
    But maybe it's just some mentorship and he will leave it up to him next year. But if this continues, we might want to look at that DC position.

21. den

den New Member

Jan 20, 2018

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Who said Butler needed help? Will be real interesting to see when he took over play calling. First 5 games, defense was playing really well, next 5 games the big plays began but still held opponents scores down. The 7 games after that, the D really dropped off all around.

23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If your boss is involved in your work in calling plays and taking over meetings, either he feels you need help or he doesn't trust you to do your job. IMO.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Or, hes a defensive guy and has wanted to for a long time. Either way, WHEN he began calling plays would be very telling.

25. den

den New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    keith bultlers defense was not good .the players out of position. in the jag game they used a 300 lb.lineman to spy the quarter back on third down bortles ran 16 yards on 3rd down.the rush instead of containing him they left the side wide open a back would come out the backfield two steelers would watch him instead of following they let him swing out and get wide open only after the pass went to him would they go after him. alot of times the player are caught flat footed .watch a bill belichick team his players are in the right spot most of the time .his players are coached on how to defend the play properly. the steelers players are not the problem the coaching is. keith butler should watch bill belichick defense over and over till he learns