1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential FA targets

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Jan 16, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk Mac I've seen SD let guys run right past him plenty of times when it was his responsibility. I feel we need a guy with natural ball hawk instincts....done trying to make guys something they're not.

2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    FS Lamarcus Joyner (Rams):
    made $1.7MM in 2017 on his final year of his rookie contract
    49 tackles and 3 INTs in 12 games
    Spotrac says he's worth 5yr/$53MM ($10.6MM/yr)

SS Eric Reid (49ers):
    made $5.7MM in 2017 on his final year of his rookie contract
    67 tackles and 2 INTs in 13 games (1 tackle behind SS league leaders)
    Spotrac says he's worth $5.4MM

SS Kenny Vaccaro (Saints):
    60 tackles and 3 INTs in 12 games
    made $2.4MM in 2017 on his final year of his rookie contract
    Spotrac says he's worth $5.4MM for 2018 (don't ask me how they get that)

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    folks we need a FS and ILB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Okay. Your insane! :roflmao:It sounds like trading a half dozen apples and getting 6 apples in return. Martavious showed a lot of promise toward the end of the year. I hope he stays clean and comes back.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he had to much to cover having to support the run so much first. I think he's more like a coverage guy CB than he is run support LB. Keeping him back with the play in front of him may help him use that speed than having him play up closer and having to turn and run in coverage.:cool:

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Big FAs usually don’t come banging on the door trying to get in.

With the Defense being so bad, would a Defensive player really accept the challenge?
    Or does money talk?

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know Mac I think if he was capable at FS he would of been back there instead of Mitchell because he was as bad as you can be. To me Mitchell would of been better suited around the LOS especially if they thought Davis had ballskills and the ability . The fact that they stayed with Mitchell as bad as he was makes me think Davis can't do it....we need to draft the best FS we can on the board.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, I wanted to look at more than just S options for possible FA signings, as we can use more than just S help. I know, as we sit, we don't have much cap space, but they will make a few moves to free up some space, including cutting Mitchell, which will yield 5 mill.

TE

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tight-end/

If McDonald can get and stay healthy, TE not a huge priority. Out of those on this list, I like Fasano.

ILB

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/

Out of this list, I love Bowman; he is a beast but a 29 a little older than I like most FAs, but we have to win right now, right? Zach Brown would also do nicely.

FS

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/free-safety/

I like Tre Boston, 25, entering his prime, great ball skills and can tackle, Major upgrade.

SS

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/strong-safety/

Eric Reid would do very nicely.

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Very rarely doesn't money talk; you almost always have to be highest bidder.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I really don't care about getting a ball hawk at safety, though that would be nice. What I want is a guy who can clean up the mess. I want a guy who can make the stops that keep 10-yard runs from becoming 30 and 40-yarders and make plays on the double-teams against deep passes. You know, the stuff Mike Mitchell constantly fails to do. The stuff we used to take for granted with Ryan Clark.

The idea that Heyward had a bad year needs to stop right now. He had a bad game Sunday, but he was an All-Pro for a reason.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was on NFLNetwork this week he's coming off a career high 5 ints in 2017, when they mentioned Boston being a FA he flashed the money sign. He's looking to get paid, he might be too pricey for the Steelers.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Yeah you're insane, what's the point? Gordon has been suspended more than Bryant, he's completely unreliable.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Sign Ben to a extension
    Cut Gay, Wilcox, Mitchell salary cap relief right there

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mitchell: Would save 5 mill right away. easy decision. I would hold the door...
    Gay: 1.75 mill. Would like to see him as a cornerbacks coach.
    Wilcox: 3.125 mill. Liked what he brought early on but fell out of favor. Will leave the safety spot thin.
    Sensabaugh:1.4 mill. Easy decision.
    DHB: 1.2 mill.

12.475 mill savings.

Could see them restructuring Haden possibly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The return won't be any greater than his original draft round. His production doesn't really match his potential, too inconsistent. Needs to learn to high point the ball and fight for 50/50 balls.