1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler deserves more time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone is shell shocked by the Jags game but the defense was top 10 in several categories and 5th overall total defense.

First in sacks: 56
    3rd total yards: 306.9 yards
    5th in pass defense: 201.1 yards
    7th in point allowed: 19.2
    10th in rush defense: 105.8 yards

Butler took over at the start of a rebuild. He fixed the pass rush and improved points allowed. 7th in points allowed is pretty damn good and the most important stat. Followed by pressuring the QB, which they did very well, best in the league, just not against Jax. It carried the team for a portion of the season and had 9 games of 18 or less points.

Areas they need to improve, giving up big plays. 48 plays of 20+ yards through the air, tied for 16th. 13 plays of 40+ yards, tied for third most. 10 running plays of 20+ yards and three runs of 40+ yards. Thats not so good, pretty bad actually.

Picking up a safety will go a long way to cleaning that up. Burns and Davis had an up and down year, their 3rd season will be very telling on whether they were the right picks or not and how well the secondary improves overall.

Losing Shazier was huge, in his shortened season, he still racked up 89 tackles (69 solo), 3 Int, 11 passes defended and graded out 12th best LB.

I think Butler is on the right path. This was the first season they used more man coverage, hopefully they get better at it and wont be so much bend dont break defense which collapsed at the worst possible time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

3 teams with backup qbs and the browns twice help those stats a lot. just sayin. i found out something tonight reading that i didn't know, the patriots have not only a DB coach but a corner back coach and a safety coach. i'd hope we got someone to help lake if he's staying. we have 2 LB'er coaches and 2 OL coaches, why not 2 DB coaches? i'd be all for that. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I read everything you said and considered it very carefully. You made some persuading arguments and a few good points.

I still want that SOB run out of town on a rail... after we tar and feather him. His subordinates can go hang with him.

This is not some first time coach new to a system. What this IS is a guy who got the job because everyone liked him and it was "his turn." And since taking over has shown miniscule improvement in some areas and backslid in others. Stats mean absolutely nothing if you can't get off the field on third down and make garbage qbs look like all pros. They really mean nothing when you bend over and slather yourself with industrial strength lube in advance of a playoff game. Even tilt your head a bit to look more alluring...

If it isn't his fault...

And it wasn't LeBeau's fault...

Then we have someone else to get the pitchforks and torches out for. And we all know he's safe. For now. Truth is, it's both.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If we could get one more guy in the secondary who is good, that would go a long way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You make a good case for him. But my biggest problem isnt with the numbers. How many times have we seen this defense look utterly confused? I'm not just talking about the Jags game either. Look at the Patriots. They also suffered some tough injuries, and looked dazed and confused for a while. They figured it out and are now playing good defense. We have had quite a while to figure things out without Shazier. We didn't. We got much worse with each passing week. The bottom line is if your defensive success revolves around a super human effort by Shazier, then I'm not sure you can call your DC successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We play teams with back up QBs every year though. Other teams go against weak starters. I get the point you’re making mac, but there is no denying a statistical improvement in a lot of areas. However bad the d had looked at times....

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    okay, we were bad at all defensive position this year.

Saftety -Probably worst in the league

Middle Linebacker - Before Shazier injury we were average, after Shazier we were really bad

Defensive line - All year we were bad against the run okay with sacks and pressure against the pass (got man handled against good teams)

Outside linebacker - Dupree side was bad against run and pass pressure, Watt side just okay average against run and pass pressure.

Corners - Struggled against mediocre QB with running ability and made them looker better then what they were. Burns did not grow and still has problems turning to the ball, Haden is okay and we didn't develope him, only other bright spot is Tilton and maybe Sutton.

Lets not forget how how bad we were defensively against some average offensive teams like Cleveland, Chicago, Jax, Colts, and Packers without Rodgers.

We need more then one guy in the secondary, we need better players or better execution at almost all defensive positions along with new coaches on that side of the ball OR we will be looking at thing same thing next year and have to score 30 point a game to win. Too many excuses for too long with lack of game adjustments against runs and pass coverages like against Gronk, the communications within the group was just horrible all year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Naw, we only need one for every coach position. We just need to go out and get the right ones. Now, there is nothing wrong with having an assistant ... but, not two coaxhes for one position.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I was all about the stats but believe me they lie, our defense is not good

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah that's a bunch of over the top criticism, especially D line and Watt had a very good rookie campaign at OLB. MLB has no depth but Shazier was a stud and Vince had a very good year.

And I never said safety was all they needed, just that one would go a long way to fixing the secondary.

I haven't fact checked this so it may be wrong but I believe they had a good red zone defense in the regular season. That obviously wasn't the case last Sunday.

The defense didn't show up in any area against the Jags but that wasn't the case during the regular season.

The D line bailed out the secondary with its pass rush, it's clearly still the achilles heel of the defense. Safety should be the focus in the 1st Rd and now unfortunately, MLB too.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Blast, numbers lie sometimes. That's all they are, numbers. Eye test. I wanted some of the defensive staff to be dismissed. Some upgrades are seriously needed. I knew Butler would get another chance. They were all retained. How can you justify keeping Joey Porter? Or, Carnell Lake? Even John Mitchell shouldn't get a pass. Hargrave and Tuitt were both below average and at times Heyward was a ghost. Big thanks to Alualu who played pretty solid.

TJ Watt hopefully becomes a force, and at times he was. At times. Bud Dupree looks like Jarvis Jones part two. Now they have to look at an OLB, Chick is a RFA. He could do no worse then Dupree. And the only thing Dupree is worried about is his 5th year option. Hopefully that's not happening. Porter has run his course.

Burns and Davis. There have been threads, major criticisms about these two over and over. Development. That falls at the heals of Lake. And we won't even get into that has been Mouth Mitchell. A change needed to be made. But it's not.

The run defense has been horrible all season. This starts up front in the trenches. Fail. This lies at the feet of John Mitchell.

ILB and Jerry O. I feel Olsalvsky gets a pass. Dealt a horrible blow when Ryan went down and tried to piece the position together. But lets focus on the run defense, even with Ryan it was below average.

The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over expecting different results...

Tomlin made the call and now this defensive mess is at his feet. A below average mess...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. The Analyst

The Analyst New Member

Jan 18, 2018
    It all boils down to one thing regarding the Defensive Coaching performance... 45 points given up in a playoff game to a team that you lost to earlier in the season - NO EXCUSE!

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know if that was a rhetorical question or directed at me but I didnt make a case for them. Could have replaced all of them, Id begrudgingly give you Lake but I have a hard time believing a cerebral player like that couldnt impart what he knows. I think its always been a talent issue back there, well documented they they aren't very good at evaluating DBs.

Comparing Bud to Jarvis is very unfair IMO, Bud has produced, just not at the level of a #1 pic. Jarvis never produced anything. Anyone who was expecting him to be great out of the gate was way too optimistic, I knew hed take time to develop, he was raw talent and he suffered an injury which has stunted his growth. Hargrave had his playing time reduced once Shazier went down and Tuitt I think has been injured. As far as Im concerned, TJ had a very good rookie campaign. Heyward is a beast, I dont know how you mention him.

It really hasnt though, they had some trouble maintaining gaps which led to those big runs I alluded to in my OP. You simply dont finish 10th if you're horrible BUT they have to fix those gap problems.

Look, guys, Im not making a case for coach of the year with Butler, just that he has done some good things with the defense after being handed the unit in a rebuild mode. Trending in the right direction IMO. Stats can sometimes be twisted to make a point but not points allowed, 7th in the league, 9 games below 20 points. Dont forget, the defense carried this team while the offense found its way, then took a step back. Injuries to Haden and Shazier had something to do with that, the two best players in their respective units.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    This speaks volumes. Can't lose your lead dog and not have issues. Shazier is a beast.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I can live with Butler being retained, but don't you think there needs to be a shakeup among the defensive coaching staff? There just doesn't seem to be any accountability there. Carnell Lake has not gotten much from his secondary and Joey Porter has presided over the utter failure of Jarvis Jones, the slow development and even regression of Bud Dupree, and after TJ Watt got off to an impressive start, he trailed off pretty significantly at the end of season. Keep Butler (on a short leash) but Lake and Porter should be fired. Tomlin refusing to make any changes on the defensive coaching staff is unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    First at making crap QB's look like Brady
    First sucking at 3rd down and long
    First at having CB's look at the wide open receiver and just stand there picking their nose
    7th in point allowed: 19.2
    10th in rush defense: 105.8 yards

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Not a stat guy at all ,but come on,I did a quick search and 10 sacks came from the 2 browns games and 7 in the texans game ..
    Games against the Pats and 2 jags games ,total sacks 4 .

The D was not good this year

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The stats look good, but if the D can't get stops on 3rd down... then to hell with the stats and why even bother?

I think it's long overdue for the Steelers to go 4-3. We're stuck with Tomlin and he is familiar with the 4-3. Steelers need an entirely different approach on D. The LeBeau 3-4 system helped to win us 2 Super Bowls, but it's outdated and has never been able to stop the better QBs in the league (Brady, Rodgers and Brees).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought there should have been a shake up among the assistants. I mentioned that in my reply to CK

They aren't in their 3-4 base much at all. They are in the nickel a ton. They've been running 4-3 hybrid looks and think it will continue to shift that way.

20. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    It speaks volumes that an injury prone player like Shazier was the lead dog and the defense falls apart when he is out. I thought this game was a team sport. Relying on one player to cover up the mistakes of other players is just asinine coaching and a downright retarded defensive scheme especially when you don't have a capable backup to handle the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As some writers have pointed out, the Steelers D stats can be deceiving. For instance, 23 percent of the team’s sacks (13 of 56) were against the Cleveland Browns. Thank goodness we are in the AFC North.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay I could live with getting rid of Porter and Lake now, then we get rid of Butler next year if we have the same results, then we get rid of Tomlin the following year. If we have learned anything it's Tomlin is not the defensive genius people make him out to be and he oversees this mess.

Rooney's please do something now because Tomlin is not going to get rid of his buddy Porter no matter what he does or how bad he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It takes more than putting star players on the field on defense, it takes a DC who is a strategy minded coach who can adjust his defense based on situational down and distance in real time, Butler after 17 years with this defense hasn't proven he is the coach who can do that IMO....

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Stats are misleading because we sometimes play 5th stringers and browns twice who pad our sacks. Games that matter our D line falters and secondary torched. Elite defenses shutout awful offenses and hold elite offenses to 25 or less

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They can waver a little bit but 5 categories in the top 10? Come onnn.

• Dislike Dislike x 1