1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defending Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 16, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nonsense, Switzer couldn't sustain it once the Cowboys got old that's why they got rid of him. They totally rebuilt the defense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    He is not perfect but 104 wins in 10 years every team but one would take that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Never said the comparisons went beyond that one Super Bowl. Tomlin, even though there's a lot to criticize about him and much to be concerned with, is at least a legitimate NFL coach. Barry Switzer was a JOKE. I still can't believe Bill Cowher lost the Super Bowl to a Barry Switzer coached Cowboys team! :facepalm: That game was ours for the taking and we blew it thanks to...I won't say the name because a certain board member kind of gets upset when you mention it.:lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Fixed

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Blast, just remember that Ed Bouchett nor Dulac will never criticize Mike Tomlin, they have been criticized many times for this. Read some of the comments after their stories. Ray Fittipaldo speaks more fairly in regards to Tomlin and not as afraid to do that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I read Ray and Eds chats all the time, Ed absolutely criticizes Tomlin.

It's amazing how these rumors take flight, Tomlin gets criticized a lot by everyone. Cowturd is a moron.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    okay who is Cowturd? Did you read the comments this week after Ed's chat? He got blasted like I never seen, and well deserved.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol cowherd, he stated in a clip posted here that Tomlin never gets criticized.

I didn't read the comments after Eds piece, usually don't, it's not gospel Jad :lolol:

9. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Firing Tomlin would set us back for many years. Our playoff appearances would be gone. Nothing good comes from firing the HC. We need to get rid of the DC!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Firing Tomlin might make a slice of the fan base happy for a while, but there's probably a 95+% chance that his replacement will be worse.

11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher had the same knock as well. He made it to SB XXX with Chuck Noll players. Tomlin is going no where. No matter how bad the decisions for this game, you don't fire a coach with a 12 - 4 season, AFC North title, no losing season during his tenure. Firing that coach will only result in a losing season to follow. Yes, I know the Tampa Bay Bucs fired Dungy and won it the next year with Gruden, but he got fired not long after. He just rode Dungy's coat tails.

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Considering the Steelers were one and done, you think there's a 95% chance they would miss the playoffs with a different coach?

13. 1Steelerfan

1Steelerfan New Member

Jan 17, 2018
    We I for one wouldnt care to much if Mike was gone. There are men in the league who can repeat what he has done with the team's he had.
    But we all know Mr. Rooney will not fire Mike. He just wont.
    We all have heard about Haley by now. It's a start. I didnt mind Haley personally, but those 4th downs were bad. We did put up 42 on a great D though. Anyway when a team is underachieving changed should be made. It's a start.
    The one who should be gone first in the DC. Our Defense is bad. They seem lost out there at times. He's gatta go. Maybe porter too. Our OLB are regressing. Can't happen!!!!
    Gatta go new coordinators all around...

14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This year Tomlin deserves to be criticized, but not fired. The Steelers declined to extend Haley, and many are happy about it. Is Haley abrasive? Yes, but he did what he was brought in to do and that was to improve the offense while keeping Ben healthy. He walks, but Butler, Lake and Porter stay on? Many within this board are still grinding on the two fourth down calls and the onside kick. Here is a reality check THE DEFENSE LOST THE GAME!!!!!!!! The defense was uneven all year long. Yeah, they broke the sack record. But they gave up countless third and long conversions, made borderline pro QB's look All-Pro, and cost us a chance to go to the AFC Championship game. Not enough talent? To a degree, yes. Much more than that, it appeared to be poor coaching, discipline, execution and lack of improvement by younger players. But people want to burn Haley at the stake?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 1Steelerfan

1Steelerfan New Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Agree with most of your post.
    Butler gatta go. I would of been ok with Haley sayn on but his contract is up and i think Ben is happy about this.
    Plus with Randy in there this should be Bens offense. No disrespect to Randy at all. I BET WE SEE QB SNEAK NEXT YEAR!!

My point is this. If you are underachieving I think changes should be made.
    We will not fire Tomlin, but the coordinators, both, gatta go and they should go. It's change we need!

Good to see Munchack back though......

16. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm pretty sure Ben has something to say about those 104 wins despite Tomlin.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I gave up on him Blast. Just since the last game. He does nothing to rein in 23-25 and 28. I saw all three of them make a stop one game this year only to have them then, give the other guys a first down for USML flag. Sh*tcan Tomlin. NOW

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I get it. There are things I admit too now that I didn't used to.

If I don't see improvement in those areas next year I'll probably be right there with you :butcher:

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have commented for years about Tomlin, he is not the one to win in a big situation

when the lights are on. His teams are unprepared and undisciplined. We can do better and we must.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The article by Ed was a good one with good points and I will agree with it somewhat. The thing he doesn't mention is that he has had something very few coaches get, a franchise QB right from the get go. Yes, I give him credit for keeping it together when the defense got old all at once and it had to start over from scratch but he didn't exactly do well with it.

My problem with Tomlin is 2-fold, the lack of discipline and lack of focus of the team. Watch any NFL program the last few years and when the Steelers play a sub .500 team you'll hear someone bring up how they play down to competition. Watch Pro Football Talk and you'll hear it every show when they play a lesser team, and that speaks volumes, this team losses to lesser competition on such a regular basis you can almost predict it.

That falls on Tomlin, plain and simple. His job is keep the players grounded, focused, and prepared and instead he is like a 1 day substitute teacher who doesn't care and the class that day is utter chaos. It sounds funny but how many Sundays have we watched them play a hapless Browns team only to end up with heartburn and headaches because the game was in doubt up until the final seconds?

Yeah, there are pros on every team but after this team, with the roster they have, barely gets by a bad team by the skin of its teeth or loses outright, we then atch the next 5 weeks as that team gets destroyed by everyone else they play. Green bay gets shut out by the Ratbirds and then ends up looking like Aaron Rodgers was back and the team had to win in the last few minutes.

You can see a game or two like that a season but this happens on a regular basis, multiple games per season and the only difference this year was that the team snatched wins from the Jas of defeat in 3 games this season and struggled in a lot more despite the wave of back-up QBs they faced. I know a lot falls on the players but they see the problems but are unable to fix any of it and not just for a few games but season after season.

Bad draft picks happen and it isn't Tomlin's fault but those consistent bad games against bad teams fall directly on his shoulders and rightfully so. If you don't agree with that fine, but explain why they can come out and play against a good team and look good and fall so flat and be so bad against teams that are poor to say the least? I believe it is because there is no urgency to game plan against certain teams and may be some ealy quits to practice or extra day off or something but there is a problem.

I also know it happens to other teams as well, but not so consistent that it is as predictable as the Steelers, even the Bears game Mike Florio said the Steelers hould win it without trouble but it has the earmarks of an upset that happens all too often in Pittsburgh. He was right, and it was mentioned here, a lot! That is a glaring problem that Tomlin has had and if doesn't seem capable of fixing it and it means there is something wrong with the way he is coaching his players and for that reason I believe he should be let go.

I think that perhaps this season we may see a change, we know Tomlin isn't going anywhere....This year. However, I think he is now beginning to feel the pressure and his seat getting considerably warmer than in years past. If he isn't then he has to be living in a cave, it has been written about, and talked about on every single sports program, magazine, blog, newspaper, etc. and so he has to know it. I also think the Rooney family knows that the fans are going to get tired of it as well should we see multiple games lost or barely beating teams that they should be able to take care of without issue. It will be fun to see how this plays out this upcoming season.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Having great players always helps a coach. Other coaches have had Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers... they've pretty much achieved as much or less than Tomlin.

I'm not saying that to defend Tomlin particularly - more that having a franchise QB is important, but it'd not a guarantee of anything.

22. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    From the. Bouchette Article talking about Bell blowing off walkthrough...

There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-Art-Rooney-Ryan-Shazier/stories/201801180124

Maybe he’s doing too much. Does he not trust his DC? Or does he just want that power?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Nothing good comes from firing the HC? So I guess the Broncos shouldn't have fired John Fox?
    I guess the Rams shouldn't have fired Jeff Fisher?
    I guess the Eagles shouldn't have fired Andy Reid?
    I guess the Jaguars shouldn't have fired Gus Bradley?

Should I continue?

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately Blast I don't expect any changes at all for next year. Improvements can always be made with improved talent, which we had lots of this year, but we're going to continue to see the same blown coverages, miscommunications, bad angles, etc. It's been that way since almost day one and the problem has only gotten worse as players under a different regime have left and new players have come in. Even in years when we had great defences on paper, we all know our defence really did suck. A good defence doesn't get roasted by Tim Tebow. I'm tired of being a paper champion. I'm tired of hearing how talented we are, only to come up short. It's not even like we're running into better teams, we're losing to inferior teams most of the time.

I've been calling for Tomlin's head since probably 2011. That's when I saw things that I didn't like and I believed were his fault. I truly believed he would have been fired by now, but the incredible amount of talent we have had over the years has kept him above water. That's obviously going to continue, but the day is coming when we will no longer have the talent we currently do, and when that happens, Tomlin is going to be exposed for the awful coach that he is.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't say I'm real confident either.