1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Coaches Safe

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Illini_Steeler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Illini_Steeler

Illini_Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2016
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Carnell Lake needs to go, staying status quo is not cutting it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin...

wrong.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would have fired Porter, Lake. should have brought Kevin Greene in here last year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That just proves Tomlin needs to go.
    The Defense has stunk for years.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin doesn't have the balls to fire anybody. Now Cowher on the other hand had no problem throwing everybody under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    I can’t see not making any changes to our defense!It isn’t like we’ve improved gradually!Statistically maybe!Tired of seeing subpar qb’s finding an open man on third and 8!!!This has to be fake news!Please!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We'll take WR in the 1st round. The plan is to score 50 in every game next year. We gonna do what we gonna do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What does Joey Porter have to do to get fired? Burn down Art II's house?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I keep thinking don't worry ownership will override this but then I remember it's the Rooneys so no they won't.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Our ownership is not the ownership.of old

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't agree with this at all. In fact I'd rather keep Haley then Butler & Co. Haley with a little stern warning and some tweaks should still be decent. But the "LeBeau" defense DOES NOT WORK any longer and Butler is a disciple of that. WE got killed last year by Patriots, gave up 45 points this year to Jags and even the Titans got crushed by the Patriots this year. It should be time to clean house on D.

The only thing I can think of is they are giving him the benefit because of the whole Shazier thing. I just can't fathom them not making some kind of change on Defense after the way they played Sunday. No adjustments at halftime at all on Defense deserves someone to be fired.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I actually think the ownership of old wouldn't have done anything either. That's the problem, they're stuck in the past. But the fact that Tomlin won't address the problem is another indictment of him. Don't want to do the dirty work? Then you shouldn't be a HC then.

15. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The standard is the standard. Tomlin doesn't fear failure. So expect more of the same next season.

16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    When the defense had the correct personnel, they were performing well. Shazier going down killed the defense from an on-field strategy standpoint.

They need smarter/more-aware players for sure. But they also need a handful that can get out there and make sure the rest of the defense knows their assignments when on-field adjustments are needed.

1) Butler is not afraid to run man coverage, and he's found blitzing schemes that have worked. Let him finish out his contract and see if he can be successful with the right pieces in place.

2) I'd give Porter one more year to get Bud Dupree back into shape to be a disrupter (we've seen he has these skills) and cultivate Watt. Also, get those LBs gap sound and stop the run of opposing offenses. If that doesn't happen, then they need to consider a new LB coach.

3) As far as Lake, one more season to get the DBs in shape (awareness) and cultivate a safety who can be show stopper against both the run and the pass. I like Mitchell's heart, but the team needs more than a big hit guy. They need someone who will take the ball away. I've seen Mitchell miss way too many that he should have snagged. Otherwise, find someone else.

The defense has some good players. The coaches need to figure out how to bring this all together. They have one more draft and free-agency to finish building the team on that side of the ball. I'm hoping to see a much better defense next season.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    81 points allowed the last 2 playoff games. Yes, I'm including the fumble return as there's no doubt the Jags covert that to a TD...

18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They did with Arians, so you never know.....

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I expect more of the same soft and cheesy defense next year. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

He doesnt fear it cuz he's used to it. Which isn't a good thing ..we'll just keep seeing the same mistakes and hear the same excuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The ownership of old was more vocal. Ex...we need to run the ball more...we will sign this or keep that one

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tomlin probably went to Art II and said the loss of Shazier, the injury to Haden, the hidden injury to Tuitt(ghost injury?), Dupree was banged up all season, and and Mikey "The Mouth" Mitchell never recovered from his injury too, and so on and so on...excuse train to nowhere...

It's unbelievable. The numbers this defense accumulated was a smoke screen of what they were, a below average defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope this turns out to be false. There is no way that entire defensive staff should return intact.

Porter should be gone for his behavior as well as his failure to develop Dupree. He adds to the lack of discipline on this team, and it shows constantly with his outside linebackers getting caught too far inside on runs to the edge.

When evaluating Lake, all you need to do is look at Burns and Davis. Both regressed badly this year. That's on Butler and their position coach.

The defense was faltering before Shazier got hurt. Part of that was Haden, but the run defense was a mess most of the season and he never found any way to address the problem.

I understand the reasons for Haley's departure, but the defensive side should not be spared.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It's simple:

Tomlin needs to keep people around to fire next year and cover himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    How? How is Carnell Lake deemed to be doing an effective job? How is Joey Porter deemed to be doing an effective job? We've selected what, four 1st round linebackers in five years?

• Agree Agree x 2