1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Limited Partners want Tomlin ousted

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Jan 16, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    First of all, I had plenty of criticisms of Cowher. But Bill Cowher NEVER had the kind of offensive firepower that Mike Tomlin has had. If Cowher had Ben as his QB for most of his coaching career, we'd be talking about Cowher in the same breath as Chuck Noll. So Tomlin is above reproach in your mind, huh? GIVE ME A BREAK!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You don’t fire a coach who has never had a losing season. Rebuilt the team and still didn’t have a losing season. We fire Tomlin and he names his price to 90% of the teams in the league. O’Donnell was the highest rated QB in 95 and Cowher always had great RBs and great defenses. Tomlin is working on the defense now. Cowher focused on keeping the defense top notch while Tomlin and co built a power offense. Another thing. Back then us and maybe 1 or 2 teams ran the 3-4 so it was a lot easier to draft players to fit it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So just so i understand. We go 13-3 win the north. So because of a horrible defensive effort and i will give you, so bad calls. We fire a coach? Coordinators are fair game but do you seriously want to bring in a new coach and staff with a qb that might have 3 years left, a rb who we have for 1 more yr, one of the best offensive lines in football, and a wr who if you change schemes may not be as successful?

Heyward all but said they have some selfish players on defense. It showed. To make this defense work each man has a job to do. If he dont, it doesnt work. All this can be fixed and by this staff

Be careful what u wish for. A college coach isnt the answer. Look, i am a liifelong alabama fan. I know that program. It doesnt work in the nfl. Saban is a college coach. Dantonio is a college coach. Some people were just meant to coach college. See steve spurriur.

I would hate to see what little time this team has left with ben wasted on a coaching change

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    There's no law that says you can't fire a coach who's never had a losing season. That shouldn't be the only issue yet everyone loves to harp on it.
    Let Tomlin go to another team. Because it will show his total ineptness and I bet you he's be out of the league within 7 years. Where's Dan Bylsma at these days?

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin deserves a lot of credit in building the offense to what it is today. The O-line was below average in his first few years and now it's one of the best. Tomlin played a role in drafting AB, Bell and JuJu... and was involved in hiring Mike Munchak.

The defense has regressed badly under Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not on the FMTI bandwagon...yet. But I'm getting increasingly disappointed with the same tired act we see from him every year. His legacy at this point is good regular season coach, but he loses often to inferior teams (at least teams he's favored to beat), his teams are very undisciplined both on AND off the field, his teams often come out flat and seemingly unprepared at big moments, his situational football and game management is some of the worst I've ever seen. When the team is falling apart, he gets that deer lost in the headlights look when that's the time he should be doing some of his most passionate coaching. He's sure doing the chest thumping and bumping when things are going well and they are riding an emotional high, but when the chips are down he gets this defeated look on his face like he's at a loss as to what to do next.

Tomlin has his good qualities but I'm just not sure he's the guy to get us to that next level. I'm not sure a "player's coach" is the best fit for the current group of immature and undisciplined players on the roster. You're right though, if the Steelers allowed him to walk the suitors would be lining up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Let the suitors line up. That's their mistake to make

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    There's a lot that would be appealing about Tomlin if he were to hit the open market, but I wonder how successful Tomlin would be without Ben? Of course you could ask the same question of Belichick and Brady. Tomlin is not an Xs and Os guy. I don't think his football intellect is all that high as has been demonstrated with some of his game management and situational football decisions. He's said from day one he's a "fundamentalist as opposed to scheme". That's okay and that can work in some situations. If you have very strong coordinators and strong veteran leadership, the emotion and energy that Tomlin brings can be a good thing. I'm just not sure his coaching style can get this particular group of players to the next level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This. and the biggest problem is gonna be how does he now ramp up being more assertive and strict with the players. He came in like a lion and he's been going out like a lamb. I'm not sure how the players will now react to the discipline that NEEDS to be imposed. If he's not willing to reassert himself and become the hard ass that's clearly needed,it might be time.
    We have the talent but it's all the other BS that's stopping us. I'm not convinced he can turn this ship around. Players and coaches around the league have alluded to our cockiness holding us back from success They get a lot of that from their coach. **** has to end and **** has to get real......

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree. You do not hold on to someone for fear that he might go somewhere else. Didn't Tomlin teach us that with Harrison ,so what's good for the goose.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    They’re not the only folks who want to see a wholesale change in the culture of the Steelers.

12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ya, they don't panic, however this is 2018. You do not adjust to the times you dont win ****. The Steelers better fix this problem. Steelers waited 26 years before they won another Super Bowl because they weren't focused on what they needed, rather what they were known for. And that cost them Dan Marino. You need to be adaptable week in and week out. That's how it is now. If you have a coach who doesn't know how to win big games, you have a problem. Mike Tomlin hasn't won a big game in 8 years. And even that one was against the Jets with Mark Sanchez coming back in the second half and almost pulling it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree on the bolded points.

Until the issues on defense are addressed, then another Super Bowl will not happen. Defense still wins games, as the Jaguars are proving. The Steelers won both Super Bowl 40 and Super Bowl 43 due, in large part, to really good defenses. The offense is great and all, but the Steelers are not winning squat without a good defense.

It was disheartening to see the defense regress toward the end of the season. The loss of Shazier had a larger impact than I anticipated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    There's a coach who says you can't live in your fears. Who says that?

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pat Fitzgerald would be somebody I would be interested in.

16. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Should we have an intervention:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah but the Rooneys have spent more money on contracts than they are known for. They also know Ben only has 2 yrs left. They want to go back to the big dance as much as the rest of us.

18. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Fixed it for you, Steeler fans never say that name. It is an unwritten rule in Steeler Nation.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If Tomlin is staying,which he probably is we need much better coordinators because he is either too hands off or not a X and O guru or both. So that means OC and DC need to be top notch especially DC and Butler isn't the answer there. I think we would be fine with Fichtner as OC because Ben basically knows everything about the O just have to tweak things like QB sneaks. Ben is gonna be Ben that's not gonna change good and bad....if they only replace Haley it's not gonna be enough and will expect basically the same problems but with a toughe schedule ....

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd at least make him bring back cowhers players. :smiley1::cool:

21. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Not sure if the Packers beating the Steelers qualifies as an "upset".

22. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This is a big moment for Art II. IIRC he laid out a major shot over Cowher’s bow publicly saying something like it’s time we start winning championships. It stunned Cowher that he would be so called out like that. He responded by winning a Super Bowl.

Art II has to do something similar at the very least with Tomlin. I want the guy fired but I know it won’t happen. So appease the fan base and go on record saying enough is enough . Put every one of these mf’ers on notice

• Like Like x 2
  23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    We don't know what happens behind the scenes, but we can deduce because of the Rooney's hands off policy regarding their coaches that Tomlin uses far too much of the rope he is given. I'll say it again for clarity; I've always been a Tomlin defender, but this last game and the circumstances leading up to it lead me to believe that Tomlin needs reigned in and so does his team. I mean, they are starting to resemble a Barry Switzer squad, with not quite the same amount of outlaws. I also think his assistants need to go. I don't think you can force an assistant HC on Tomlin, but I think it should be discussed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

It would probably his first and last one. Harrison would hit him so hard it would be like one of those old Rock Em Sock Em Robot games.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except for the fact the Packers were favored in that SB :facepalm:, that defense was shot by then they couldn't stop Aaron Rodgers. Most of the experts picked the Packers to win also :shrug:.