1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Pittsburgh vs Jacksonville game thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 14, 2018.

1. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Typical Tomlin and his philosophical bullcrap. Bradshaw was correct a while back with his “cheerleader” comment when asked about Tomlin as a head coach. Garbage in...garbage out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ben done? WOW

3. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Defense just sucked. 3rd downs, and red zone.
    Just needed to hold 1 of those RZ drives to 3pts. Then the Steelers would be winning this game.

4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Or hear anything from Tomlin with his nonsense elephant in the room interview.

5. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Fire Butler and the rest of the Defensive coaching staff tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Do you hear players on a Belichick coached team talk about any opponent other than the opponent next on the schedule? Do you hear players on a Belichick coached team talk about their upcoming contract and how they may retire or sit out the next season if they don't get what they want? Do you hear Belichick himself discuss any team except the next one on the schedule. Every team has distractions, but the HEAD COACH establishes the culture which leads to championships! The Steelers have an undisciplined culture and Ben as much said so last year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Game wasn't over 10 seconds. Wife grabs keys and says, "let's go." Off to my favorite draft house.

She's a keeper.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed. That’s what head coaches are paid for...minimize the crap, create discipline in the system, manage your coaches, manage the game and create a culture that people want to be a part of. I’ve said it before, if Bill was our head coach with all this talent, we would have nine super bowls by now. But, we are stuck with Mr. Standard is the Standard for a long time. Unfortunate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. stangflyer

stangflyer Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Yea we were 13 and 3 and I know a win is a win. But look at how many games we barely won. 1st game against Browns. After that game the Browns and everyone thought that Kizer was the qb of the future for them. Then he suck all season till what game? The second game against the steelers. I know we did not have all offensive players but our D played and they sucked. We beat Min 2nd game but it was Keenum's 2nd game of the season. 3rd game gashed by Chicago's run game. Had a good game against Ravens. We all know about the 5th game against Jax.

Held KC to 13 which started their big losing streak. Good job against a bad Bengals team in next game. Then we beat Detroit by 5 pts. Then we beat Colts by 3. Another crappy qb that almost beat us. Brissett had two td's where our D was torched for big plays.

We blew out Titans because we got a lot of turnovers. Then we played the Packers and another last second fg to win by 3. Hundley was 17/26 with 3 td's against us.
    Think about that. Hundley played 10 games this year and had 9td's and 3 of them were on us. Another rookie or bad qb torched us.

Next game barely beat Bengals by 3 with another fg. Win by one against Ravens. Pats game enough said. Browns by one.

We only had two blowouts all season and two that were comfortable wins. We had 8 wins that were very close or down to the wire and only one to a playoff team. KC

Just for comparison the Pats had 7 blowout and 1 comfortable win. They had 4 wins that were less then 7pts.

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    JAX went:
    Third downs -- 56% (8/14)
    Fourth down -- 100% (1/1)
    Red zone -- 100% (5/5)
    Goal to go -- 100% (3/3)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The Steelers haven't recovered an onside kick in TEN YEARS.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Rooneys should try some upside kicks..........but they won't

13. stangflyer

stangflyer Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Many of those 3rd downs were 3 and 5 or more> A few were 3 and 10's.

14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Again, wrong. Ben's fumble was returned for a TD. You should be able to rely on your defense to bail your QB out at least once in awhile. Jax, 5 fo 5 red zone efficiency, 3 for 3, goal to go. How the hell can anyone blame this game on Rothlisberger? I questioned the fourth down calls, the throw to #19 where PI should have been called, the pitch to Bell. Other than that, this defense lived dangerous all year long, it finally caved today.

And then there is Bell commenting about his contract situation this week, that idiot Mitchell, of all people, calling out Jax at their dressing room door before kick-off, I mean who the hell is Mike Mitchell to call out anyone? He might be the worst starter on defense.This team really does some incredibly stupid things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    But nothing will change. Maybe Haley is not resigned, maybe some guys will be gone, but the culture won’t change. The team will still be undisciplined and as usual that will cost us.
    It just sucks that with a different management style maybe this team with all this offensive talent could have won another super bowl or two. Just depressing.

16. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    This lost the game. This. Not the decision to try an onside kick or some things that were discussed. Our defense doesn't have enough talent, especially in the middle and on the back side. The talent it does have, IMHO, is poorly handled (coached). LeBeau never had premium players at most of the positions, but they played smart football, and they played unfailingly hard for Dick LeBeau.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Tomlin tells us he doesn't live on his fears but he sure called the onside kick as if he was fearful of the Jaguars. Someone asked if it was the defense or offense fault that, we lost. I asked, " are you joking ? No matter the two turnovers, the defense gave up 45 points to an offense lead by Bortles. I hate to say this, I knew we would lose today. I know what Tomlin and this bunch is like. Tomlins ego/head is so huge, he could be a float in the Thanksgiving parade. How do you fit all that stupid in one brain ? He walks and talks like he has everything under control, he knows this, he knows that but each Sunday, he is on the sideline like a spectator.
    Seldom do you see his influence or signature of a game. People are all jacked about what Bradshaw said but he was correct. What is it about the Steelers that has
    Tomlins thumb print to it ? Bad clock management for one. Stupid decisions such as an onside kick. Stepping out onto the field when a Ravens player is running
    down the sidelines. That was totally an embarrassment when he did that. He's witty and even likable but, he has no coaching savvy in my opinion. Forget the
    reasons why to get rid of him, tell me why do we keep him ? Answer, it's not the Rooney way ? The Rooney ways stinks. Tomlin is young and healthy with an
    ego of, I'm head coach of a professional football team, I'm not going anywhere except six foot under when it's my time. Could you imagine what another coach such as Wisenhunt could have done with this team or a Harbaugh to name a couple. I don't give a ****, Tomlin won with Cowhers players and Cowhers coaches.
    Yes, it takes some going ons to get the record Tomlin has made but, who the hell could get at least 9 wins a season with the talent on this team ?
    Tomlin is another Andy Reed, Marty Shotenheimer , Marvin Lewis or any coaches as such that, can have all the talent he wants but when it comes down to the
    playoffs and all teams are equal, he can't match up to the brain trust across the field of the opponents. Cowher was smart. You never seen Cowhers teams lose
    because he didn't have it upstairs. They lost from not being as talented at times. They lost because his one OC, ( can't think of his name ) he was from the Giants still was stuck in the 70's with , we have the lead, let the defense stop them. Was it Earhardt ? We lost because Patriots cheated ( Fact !) I don't know much
    about coaching but, I can tell a smart coach from a stupid coach. Noll too was smart no doubt. The game passed him by but, he didn't do stupid ****. Paint Tomlin any color you want but at some point, all coaches needs to stand and be accountable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I said the defense is the “main” reason why we lost. You can’t say Ben’s two turnovers didn’t hurt us. The fumble was taken straight in for a TD and the interception was in plus territory. Now I stated his stats 469yd and 5TD’s. Your right 5-5 in the redzone by the “defense” is what cost us the game.

All that said I get it your upset just like every other Steeler fan. I’m pissed myself and I unfortunately had a feeling this might happen with all the noise coming out of the locker room.

We score 42 points we should definitely win the game. I think it was the most points in NFL history scored by the losing team. Plus Ben’s stats were the most in history for a losing QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Tomlin isn't going anywhere, but I wish he would run a tighter ship and quit being so loyal to his assistants. They might want to assess the work of Kevin Colbert and their draft(s), too. The jury might still be out on Artie Burns, but I don't think his football IQ is very high. Bud DuPree stunk this year. Problems like the aforementioned could very well be coaching issues, too.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    When push came to shove we couldn’t get a stop. That’s it

21. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    I just listened to Tomlin’s post game interview and he straight goes around the question asked. He barely addresses it then side steps it. They asked about the onside kick and he said we wanted the ball the defense couldn’t stop them. He was right about the defense but it still wasn’t time for an onside kick. Oh well we lost they won.

22. djnva

djnva Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Do you even watch football?

HOU: 11/21, 125 yards
    NYJ: 15/35, 140 yards
    CLE: 17/30, 154 yards
    ARI: 19/33, 160 yards
    TEN: 15/34, 158 yards
    BUF: 12/23, 87 yards

23. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    No question the turnovers hurt, and no doubt we are pissed and have reason to be. What is starting to settle in with me is how certain players on this team continue to act like morons with no apparent internal consequences, the Bryant suspension notwithstanding. Mike Mitchell is the ringleader. If he is on this team next year in any capacity, I really will start to question if they are trying to improve defensively.

24. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Completely agree we had 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 10 then they’d reel off 15-40yds. I mean we just couldn’t stop an unimpressive offense, before today, who scored 10 points last week against the Bills. Fournette 109yd rushing and 3TD’s and we said don’t let Fournette beat us. I just looked Bortles only had 214yd and 1TD. He just made throws when it counted and Fournette finished it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Tomlin’s been saying for years he was going to improve the defense and it hasn’t happened. I know he’s taken CB’s in the draft but they haven’t panned out. Next year things have to change in that locker room. Just keep your mouths shut and play. I hate the Pats but no matter who their playing it’s always that team their focused on. We need to adopt that mentality.

I listened to the post game interviews and all the players said they weren’t looking past Jacksonville. I don’t believe that at all with the way we started today. I mean 21-0 halfway through the second quarter.

As for Mitchell he can go somewhere else where being a loud mouth is ok.

It’s hard to have a good feeling for next year with the way our defense played today. I thought this was the most talented team we’ve had in awhile. I thought the defense was good enough but I saw big cracks towards the end of the season. I mean the Browns lighting them up. We should of seen this coming.