1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin and Coaching have wasted Bens prime

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Jan 14, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    wait until we see how awful this great regular season coach is once Ben leaves. These buffons have wasted ten years of Bens career. Make it 11 after next year.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I 150% agree. This is what drives me nuts with all these apologists of the coaching staff. You have a very small window to have a team of this much talent. If these guys can't put the talent together to win we need to find someone else who can.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This is crazy talk. I am not sure how they wasted Ben's career when they've won a lot of games. I guess Favre, Marino, Brees, Rodgers, and a list of other good to great QB's careers have been wasted based on some fans wacky thinking. Ben is just as if not more so responsible for this teams failures and success as Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    IMHO there is nowhere to go, but down next year. The Killer B's will be a year older ... We will lose some free agents ...

To get our Defense where it needs to be might take 4-5 years through the draft IMHO.

What stinks is we need to win NOW with Ben. I think next year is Ben's last.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I agree with the title of this thread, since Tomlin shouldn't be considered a coach

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    It’s the defense... always has been and most likely will be with the loss of Shazier.

Bottom line is you have to make stops when it counts, and the Steelers haven’t done that all the way back since their last super bowl appearance.

Defense wins Super Bowls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Well you care about regular season wins. Some wacky fans don’t. Tomlin is a proven big game loser and for being a defensive minded coach has one of the worst defenses in football for several years now. You put a better coach in Tomlins spot we have 1-2 more Super Bowls. Book it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Bradshaw is a loon but he was right about Tomlin man. Guy is a good talker and cheerleader. Terribly overrated coach. Steelers win in spit of him not because of him. Like I said after he fs up next year we will see how his record looks with Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs. Hell the Steelers might be holding an 0-16 party!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I agree for the most part, but Ben has a hand in it too. If he doesn't throw the pick vs NE at the end (and that's all on him regardless of the play call), maybe they win that game and they play vs Titans this weekend and host next weekend. Ben's great most of the time, but he's good for something Brady isn't - a loss or two a year that's on him - and 1 or 2 games per year is the difference between hosting the CG or getting a bye.

10. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Ben is not Brady but nobody is. Brady is like a robot. If you score 40 points on arguably the best D in football you certainly don’t blame the QB

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    A lot of fans after last season said this season would end the same way unless some coaching changes were made. Anyone want to guess on how next season ends if things stay the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    With all the picks the Steelers have spent on defense there is just no way it should be this awful. That is squarely on coaching and talent evaluation, which little Mike sucks at equally

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    I would say the odds on that are extremely high. Not because nothing changes but because only 1/32 wins a super bowl every year.

The only outlier is the patriots and it’s because they get 6 free games from their horrible division and a cake walk to the AFCCG every single year.

Bottom line is the Steelers aren’t going to win a super bowl every single year. We are pretty blessed to even watch them in the playoffs as much as we do for the last 20 years.

Yea, it sucks, but it’s sports. I have 4 sports teams. Most of them don’t make it or come close.

The only real chance the Steelers have starts and stops with their defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Have to agree.

I don't work in football, play football. I watch football. 2 minutes into the game I pointed out to my wife where on the field we would be beaten today, what players were the weakest and how. Then she sat and watched it all come true exactly as I said.

I pretty much walked away after 100% right and wondering how the calls were called that were called. Complete insanity.

15. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    True but how many coaches go on national TV talking about writing checks their ass can't cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Everybody cares about regular season wins. Without them teams don't make the post season. All games in the NFL are big. Some games bigger than others.

Tomlin's helped this team make it to two SB's and won playoff games so there's that in regard to proven big game loser. A coach can't win them all.

Who is clearly a better coach over the past 10 years or so outside of the guy in NE?? Maybe one or two other guys?? Even those guys have their big game loses and questionable decision making at times.

In regard to the defense, they showed flashes this year. They were a top 10 unit in several categories. They loss arguably their best player and most dynamic play maker this season. So there is that to consider.

I understand that losses hurt more than the wins bring joy but Tomlin is a good coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Tomlins in game adjustments and clock management are some of the worst I’ve seen at the NFL level. He is supposed to be a defensive coach but yet his defense has done nothing but gotten worse year after year. He wins regular season games because he has a top 5 QB and dynamic offense players. Like I said this team wins in spite of him not because of him. Since Cowhers team has retired how has he done in the playoffs? My guess is sub 500

18. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    Who made some boneheaded decisions today but that’s part of the game.

This loss doesn’t even bother me that much, the offense fought their life to win this game and an under skilled defense lost the game. It’s a huge reason that they would have most likely lost the patriots game as well.

PS Cut Mitchell. Like the guy but he stinks.

19. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    What has any other coach outside Belichick done? My guess is sub 500!

20. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    So we should just let this clown keep ruining seasons because there is no other option? Sounds smart.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We are an equal powerhouse in talent to the Patriots. We fall short in the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    Who? I’m torn on getting rid of Haley. Our defense is screwed. But who can we get better than Tomlin without wasting the last few years Ben has left completely?

23. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Ben has 1 year left. I have no idea who we could get. Anyone with a pulse would be a start?

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think it’s one last hoora and that’s it.

25. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    Idk man.. even with the iffy calls on 4th and short, and the onside kick, it’s not Tomlins fault that the defense generated 0 sacks and let the jags covert over 50% of third downs.

That comes down to execution and the defense did not execute when they needed to most.

The defense got exposed today, and honestly I’m sort of glad we don’t have to watch them get shredded by Brady again. I hate his ass.

• Agree Agree x 2