1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Job Landry Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 3, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :lolol:

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think of Landry Jones and Trent Dilfer's face pops into my head!

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To me the best reflection on what Landry can be as a starter is to look back at last season's regular season 27-16 loss to the Pats. He did not play as well as Ben did in our game a few weeks ago, but he did help the team stay within striking distance for most of that game. In fact, late in the 2nd quarter he threw a game tying TD pass that was nullified by penalty (and followed by a missed field goal). A few minutes later he led a 2 minute drill drive for a field goal that closed the game to 14-10 at halftime. He then led a field goal drive on our first possession of the second half that got the game to 14-13. I've been critical of him at times, but he's a solid backup, and can be a winning starter with a very good team around him. However, I don't think he has enough to be the starter for a SB contender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trade LJ , Burns, Gay, Dupree ,and Mitchell to the stains for the number 4 pick.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Landry Jones is a career back-up with 2 season ending victories against the 1-30 browns and a relief victory against the cardinals in a performance that he's never been able to replicate........ he is what he is

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i'd say that's a very good assessment elvis. though with a very good defense i think he could make a team good enough to contend. thats the part we are lacking right now. we have a good defense but for him to make us a contender it would have to be top two or three. :cool:

7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If we had to rely on him as our starter, 8-8 is the best we would do, probably worse. He beat the 0-15 Browns, just barely.

8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011

I AGREE!! He put up 21 with basically the 3 best players we have on offense on the bench. Not to mention DeCastro was also out, a center who hasnt played center in the NFL before and he still went 23-27 with 2 TD's, I would say thats pretty damn impressive.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Landry Jones isn’t responsible for defensive failures.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BlacknGoldBlood

BlacknGoldBlood Active Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I've always been a bit of a Landry fan. He played really well last week with good numbers (I know it was the Browns). I am a fan of his but would not be very confident going forward if we were depending on him regularly. I just haven't gotten over the hump in believing he could carry this team if needed. Ben is the only QB I want to see under center for a few more years (hopefully). I would take Landry as a backup though.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Landry Jones is the undeserving, official scapegoat and whipping post for many Steelers fans. I have no idea why.

I can think of 10 other players on the current roster who are more deserving.

Fans expect the caliber of Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich... QBs that started entire seasons for other teams. Jones does not have that experience, but does an adequate job considering his pay grade and place on the roster.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    THANK YOU!

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Neil O'Donnell

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    True, but did we not get a kick return for a TD in that game? Would we have won without it?

If the Browns had an average defense, then Jones work would have been fairly impressive, but the Browns allowed the second most points on defense in 2017. On the positive side for Jones is the fact he did not have all the starters Ben would have had. Would also add Browns were actually trying to win while we were not committed to win that game.

He made some good throws. He had a good game for him, but he is no starter. He has no pocket presence. He tends to fumble when hit. He tends to throw picks under pressure, but maybe he is making some improvement there. Overall, very slow and steady improvement continues.

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    His passes were crisp, with good velocity and very accurate. He doesn't get any reps with JuJu and Bryant.

Also he was blitz 50% of the time by a defense coach by Greg Williams is is a proven DC!

I wonder how good Landry could be if he got all the reps in Practice and a season of snaps?!?

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I wouldn't say Landry was as good as O'Donnell by any stretch. O'Donnell was more consistent.

I had high hopes for Landry Jones when he was drafted. Mechanically, I think he is great. Physically too. But he does not appear to show ability to throw the ball down the field with any consistency, or move in the pocket and improvise much at all.

I didn't see the browns game, but I don't believe There is any chance he will seriously compete for a starting position next year.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts

The guy was 23-27 with a pactchwork offensive line. He made one bad throw. The guy has had two fumbles in his career. You’re turning into pvp. Just throw everything possible at the wall and hope something sticks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Can't we throw in Toussant for the 1st pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    :facepalm:

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You could be featured in a Direct TV commercial about the bizarre things that people like that are as bad as cable TV.
    You could also run as Governor of California and turn this into a Sanctuary MB and ignore well established rules. :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Mom, is that you? [​IMG] :hehehe:

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A career back up, nothing more nothing less.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    He's better than some of the starters in the league but he isn't good enough that I'd want him as our starter. I am totally fine with him as a backup. He gives us a chance to win when called upon.

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    That was my disagree Cajun. I can't stand LOLandry. Never could.
    side note, you don't go past my house anymore on your job, right?

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Saying Landry Jones is not as consistent as Neil O'Donnell is like saying the apple doesn't taste like the orange. Jones has never been the starter on the Steelers. Neil O'Donnell had to beat out Bubby Brister for the job. Jones is firmly entrenched as Ben's backup and has been his entire career. We don't know what Jones is capable of doing over a full season with first team reps surrounded by the most gifted skill position players and one of the best offensive lines in the league. He may surprise you.

• Agree Agree x 2