1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Team MDP?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Bud Dupree

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Stephon Tuitt

5 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Javon Hargrave

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Artie Burns

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Martavis Bryant

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Sean Davis

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Mike Mitchell

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  8. Eli Rogers

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Other (please explain)

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I already voted Tuitt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Gotta be Dupree ,I mean come on

3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I don’t disagree that he’s not playing to expectations, but he has twice the sacks that Tuitt has and twice the tackles. Tuitt just signed big money and is paid similar to the top D-linemen in the league. Pay means performance

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    12-3.
    Beat more teams with winning records than any other franchise in our conference.
    Battled the nearly-penalty-free Cheats to the final play.

Hard for me to label any player a “disappointment”. Every guy has made a contribution.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Other - Alberto Riveron :noose:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I vote Burns. In this, his second year, he seems to have regressed rather than make strides forward. His inability to understand zone coverage concepts is downright alarming and has been responsible for a big chunks of points the defense has given up this year. For a first round draft choice, I was really hoping for more.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprised that my vote was the 1st for Davis. I think he’s probably given up more big plays due to missed tackles, blown gap assignments, blown coverages and penalties than anyone else on the defense by far. I’m not even counting his flat-footed, slow motion coverage vs. Gronk against him in that assessment. I barely watched a handful of snaps in the Houston game because I was at a large family holiday gathering, but one of the few plays I saw was a big play in the running game by Houston, and sure enough Davis is there almost tripping over TJ on the outside shoulder of the Houston LT, while leaving the gap inside the tackle wide open for a huge gain. Two guys in one gap, zero in the other, and it was clearly Davis who screwed up. His instincts are poor. Anyone remember his coverage vs. the Ravens just a few weeks ago?

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Oof, actually a tough decision. I wanted to go with Mitchell, but not sure that age/skill degeneration is a disappointment so much as just "how it goes". So I went with Burns - he's really seemed lost out there at times this season.

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    There's no clear cut winner. IMO Tuitt, Davis, and Burns all deserve to be the most disappointing player. They are all players I expected much more from . All 3 players were given the opportunity to shine and completely whiffed. Bryant won this last season. I expected him to be rusty this season and he was.

Maybe I'm most shocked about Tuitt just because he proved him self before and seemed like he was on the verge of greatness before getting hurt. Did Aaron Smith have the same injury as Tuitt? Was that the same thing that ended his career? I also had hope that Burns would take the next step forward. He seemed like he was close to being a pro bowl caliber corner at the end of last season. Now he's possibly losing his starting job to a 3rd round rookie. Davis is kinda in that same boat. Not sure if he regressed or was just exposed this season but either way he's just flat out BAD. He would not be starting on most teams right now, we just have no options otherwise.

It's amazing to me that we have as many disappointing players as we do this season and we're looking to go 13-3. If you look back at the history of the NFL, not too many teams win it all with as bad a defense as we have right now. You can count on 1 hand how many teams won it all based on a great offense alone. I'm thinking NE and the Rams is about it.

10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I thought MDP was going to be for Most Distracting Player. Ben, Bell, AB, Bryant, Harrison, Gilbert, etc.

11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I didn't go with Bud because he's pretty much been a disappointment since he's been here. I can pretty much guess the reason he was so willing to go after Harrison like he did was because it was pretty widely thought that Harrison should have taken his job. After that little rant about JH I'm thinking Bud better put up or shut up.

Mitchell has been crap for a while now..he's only continuing his slide this season.

Hargrave won the NT job be default last season... he's shown NO improvement this season but I'm not sure that I expected him to blossom into some great player. He is what he was when we drafted him.... here's what they said about him before we actually drafted him... he has not changed at all:
    Weaknesses
    Squatty with short arms and tiny hands. Very raw as a pass rusher relying on athleticism over moves and counters. Lacks instincts and feel for the position. Doesn’t anticipate down blocks and can be knocked around because of it. Doesn’t play with enough anchor. Lack of length could become a nonstarter if he doesn’t play with great quickness. Feel for the game and technique could take extended time to learn.

These are exactly his issues... he's the opposite of casey hampton. he's not quick enough so he's getting blown up and moved on every run play. Again the problem is we have NO depth behind him so we are stuck with him. He should be used in passing situations only right now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I have to say arrive burns .he still might be a very good corner but to often this year he is out of position and looks lost out there. As bad as the run def has been at times this team has struggled against the pass for many years. Although the numbers might say otherwise how much confidence do you have in them to stop a good qb when it matters most.

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Hargrave has not been the same player as last year. Add that to Tuitt's health and the D-line has been weaker, even with Heyward back this year.

14. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    None, that is why Tomlin needs to put the ball in Ben's hands on first and second down to move the chains when the game is on the line.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I chose other. JH is very disappointing lately.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    McCullers.

Thought he might be able to kick in with some help rotating on the line, but he's done squat...

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It only let me vote for one, Bud Dupree you can add Tuitt to my list also, along with Burns and Davis.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This team reminds me of the '01 team... except that team's weaknesses were QB and secondary. This current team has issues on all levels of the D, but top 5 offense. The front 7 on the '01 squad was good. I remember the Steelers losing to the Bengals that year, coached by Lebeau. That game pretty much set up a blueprint on how to torch the Steelers D. Patriots followed suit and Raiders did too the following year. Any QB with a quick accurate release pretty much torched the Steelers before Troy and Ike came along.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Now that's funny cause I was thinking other too....Spence........:roflmao:

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted Tuitt but a very close 2nd imo was Hargrave. The way Tuitt got off to a start I was like man our dline is going to be nasty, then the injury. I am not sure if he is playing hurt don't have that info but if he is then I give him a pass. If he isn't he gets my vote here, I thought he was gonna have a monster season the way Heyward is. As for Hargrave I thought he was gonna be the part we were missing since Big Snack and we aren't getting that from him.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Davis has pretty good stats, 89 tackles, 14 stfyds and two interceptions so far, and he had 12 tackles and a pick against the ravens in week 14 and the next week against the pats week 15 he had 10 tackles, so he has improved this year and has some playoff games to further boost his stats, you have to put his game in perspective and see the good plays he makes and dont grade him soley on a couple plays he misses, there is more good than bad in his game this year.....

24. Toughtown

Toughtown Active Member

Dec 2, 2015

Yeah, that's not bad... I called them the Bumble Bs earlier in a thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    MDP is definately Boz . Most Dependable Player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1