1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is our run defense so bad?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Dec 26, 2017.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Main focus is stopping the pass. Only games it cost us was Bears and Jags because they didn't trust their QB to throw. Most teams are pass happy so it plays right into our gameplan.

2. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    We have been run on all year. The Chicago game is when it shook me. Then the Jags. I totally understood the rookie RB from Bengals being upset in 1st game. They killed us and quit giving him the ball early.
    Ravens came out throwing. Got behind. Simply went to run game b/c that's what we were giving them. Went to run game with plenty of time to atone and got back into the game. Then threw the ball on 2nd to last drive???? IDK?

3. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Those were the days when the run defense was stout.

4. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    ...I still cant get used to seeing the Steelers D being run all over.its like bizarro world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    We could realistically see the Steelers spend every draft pick on defense. They need help everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    That’s a great point. Especially vs the patriots I mean Brady will determine the game not 80 yards from Deion Lewis. Give them some running plays and focus on middle pressure and press man coverage. I liked that style last game now if we could just slow Gronk a little

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin said they didn't care if Houston ran the ball, their gameplan was to stop DeAndre Hopkins. Once Houston fell behind they had no chance to win, the Steelers were willing to concede some rushing yards.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They conceded quite a few rushing yards long before the Steelers had control of the game. If the Texans don't give the Steelers a huge gift by failing to run twice from inside the one in the second quarter, they would have cut the lead to 10-7.

Perhaps they could apply a similar strategy against Gronkowski if the face the Patriots again? Maybe something other than the same mix of zones and Davis in man-to-man that they Patriots exploit every time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jax, philly, Carolina, saints, bills rams, Vikings, chiefs falcons all top 10 in rushing.

Not worried about pats when you have that looming

10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Sounds like Mitchell and Golden

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brad Conrad

Brad Conrad Member

Dec 5, 2017
    After we had a 2 score lead we obviously didn't want them beating us through the air. Give up the run and keep everything in front of you. Has happened a few times this year. Our run D is ranked 10th in the league. Not really as bad as many think it is but we do tend to stuff the run a couple times in a row then allow a big gain. The big gains with us trying to arm tackle at the second level is what is so irritating. If we could just tackle a little bit better we could be a dominating defense.

12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Our only rushing-attack worry would be the Jaguars and/or Chiefs.

After that, we’d face only one of [Eagles, Panthers, Saints, Rams, Vikings or Falcons].

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He needs to be doubled. This will frustrate Brady and gronkenstein. You take him out totally. Let someone else try to beat you.