1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stevan Ridley signed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, but could he honestly do much worse than Davis?

4. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I think watt can handle it:

Watt has enjoyed a tremendous rookie campaign for the Steelers. Along with his 6.0 sacks, Watt has also been spectacular in pass coverage, recording a critical interception in Pittsburgh's Week 1 victory over the Browns. He also helped contain Green Bay's top receiver, Jordy Nelson, in Pittsburgh's Week 12 victory over the Packers.

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Absolutely. Watt in man to man coverage down the seam against gronk is laughable. Outside of the last drive he really wasn’t that bad. Gronk is gronk. He’s a first ballot hof te and probably the best tight end to ever play the game. If Brady does his job then the rest is pretty much automatic.

Steelers fans can’t seem to grasp the fact that AB and gronk are essentially the same in that they’re the best at their respective positions. Taking away either of them away is damn near an excercise in futility. Fans of opposing teams say the same things about AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    1on 1 all over the field....no. But in the middle carrying through the zone,he would be our best option. He is the most athletic and aware option we have. He has a knack for covering zones...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Hasn't even finished a season and he's already reached mythical superhero status. Might as well try him at safety as well. Watt and dhb to the rescue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @strummerfan honest question did you think before the season started that Watt as a rookie could come in have 6 sacks, 1 interception, 1 blocked field goal and several passes defensed while basically holding down a starting spot through 15 weeks as an OLB in this system?

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They had Dupree and Spence trying to drop into the middle of the field to try and cover him. I remember one play where he ran right through their zone and they were unaware he was there. I'm didn't say he could cover him 1 on 1 but I trust Watts instincts and athleticism over theirs

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Nope, I didn't want them to draft him. I was worried about his inexperience and injury history. I'm obviously happy with what we've seen thus far. However, I really wouldn't go touting his stats. It's not as if he's been dominant.

His best game was the first game of the season against the browns(7 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 Int). What did he do against the patriots? Two tackles? Compare his season to woodley's first year as a starter. Woodley had what 11-12 sacks, 70 tackles an interception or two and a couple forced fumbles.

It's entirely possible that Watt becomes a dominant olb for us, but it's also entirely possible he doesn't. That doesn't change the fact he's got no business trying to cover gronk man to man like some suggest. Just as DHB has no business being moved to safety.

12. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    It’s what we have....
    it’s funny how people get on here and make stuff personal or take condescending tone towards people who comment. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean you are right and they are wrong. If you don’t agree say you disagree and save the lecture for your mom when she brings your meatloaf down to the basement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm going to have to go back and look at Woodley's rookie year because I remember him showing flashes but not the dominance you are talking about. Either way I was just asking about whether he had exceeded expectations given the last couple of drafted OLBs and have no opinion on using him in coverage.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Now that's cute you're going to play the victim again. We've been down this road before. You get all butthurt claiming i made something personal. However, just like the last time the only person that went there is you. If you don't want someone to call you on a comparison then make a better comparison.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I didn't use his rookie year because he didn't start his rookie year. I chose his second year because they would have a similar number of snaps. Comparing a part time player's stats vs a starter's stats doesn't really work. You can't really say well if he had played x number of snaps then he would end up with x number of sacks and x number of tackles. If watt had only played the first game then someone would come along and say well he was on pace to get 32 sacks and 112 tackles. Damn that injury!

16. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Yes Sir! You are the smartest person on this blog!

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You really think he's better than Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow?
    Not yet!

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You don't think that slants the comparison in Woodley's favor and drops what Watt has accomplished as a rookie down unfairly?

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Kellen Winslow 109 games 541 rec 6,741 rec yards 45 td

Gronkowski 100 games 469 receptions 7,112 rec yards 75 td

Winslow and gronk are the closest comparison since the other two have played twice as long, but yes he has to be in the conversation. If he plays 17 years like Gonzales or 15 like Gates there's no debating it.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If. If he doesn't party himself into a coma. He's good, no doubt. If I had to choose just one, in their prime, I'd have to take Winslow!

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Watt can cover Gronk one on one, but maybe run with Gronk down the seam with Davis helping over the top :shrug:. What they tried didn't work, Mitchell was of no help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It's not an exact comparison, but it's better than comparing a starter to a bench warmer. I don't think it diminishes what Watt has done, but again he hasn't exactly been dominant. He's played well and better than I expected. However, we've seen rookies play well in the past or look promising and then fall off a cliff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The hilarious thing is jeh1856 agreed with the first post and disagreed with the second.

24. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    When they do it to Gronk no one will be able to tell the difference

• Like Like x 1
  25. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure you did.