1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

catch rule

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Dec 17, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    we all hate this catch rule especially how things ended today. we don't know what a catch is now.
    but am I correct that this catch rule was implemented by the rules committee which is consistent of coaches around the league? it's not Goddell or the league making this rule. This is what coaches wanted and they got it. I wish we could just go back to the old rule. if you cross the plane of the goal line, it's a TD regardless of if the ball comes loose after hitting the ground.

2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    The problem here was that you could not see the ball hit the ground. They said it “moved”. That is not an issue if it doesn’t hit the ground and he isn’t out of bounds. They should have only overturned a TD ruleing on the field if there was video evidence of it hitting the ground

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Jesse's knee being down...maybe a catch on the 1 yard line....:facepalm: irrelevant now. :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    That’s what I’ve been saying!

5. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Its tough to make the call from the couch- mainly since we're only shown slow motion replay. Typically a catch/no catch situation should be pretty easy to judge when using a mix of full speed replay and slow motion replay to analyze the play....surely the NFL is aware of basic video analysis principles....but THEN AGAIN the NFL's decision making can be a LITTLE suspect at times :read: :goodellsucks:

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It does not matter now. Even if it was ruled incorrectly (not saying it was), the game is over. We can only hope they change the rule in the off season to bring some common sense back to the game next year so this does not happen again.

7. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I've read some comments on FB and there are Pats fans saying that was a TD.
    I've watched that play numerous times and it sure looked to me that Jesse lost control of the ball and it was on the ground. Unless his fingers are 12 inches long and under the ball.
    If that were another team fixing to beat us we would be delighted with that call.

8. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    The rule for replay does not state that something “looked like” it hit the ground. The play was ruled a TD, there must be clear video evidence that the ball hit the ground to overturn. If it was called an imcompletion then it stays an incompletion. The camera did not capture the ball on the ground. If there is any doubt what so ever, then it stays with the original call. I read a lot where they say the ball moved, that would apply if they are out of bounds. This is only an issue of whether or not the ball hit the ground and ther is no video of the ball on the ground.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is the problem, you want replay to 'get the call right'. But once you have replay the old standard that a catch is what the ref sees as one (ball didn't hit the ground, receiver didn't bobble it, etc) isn't good enough. Now multiple people have to decide what a catch is.

So they have to develop a 'legalese' definition for a catch, so that multiple people can use the same criterion to decide. As in the real world, legalistic definition don't always work. Things that fit the definition arent catches, things that don't are.

Situations like ydays are inevitable. And the outcry to change the definition, make it more legalese won't fix the problem and will probably make it worse. Just like hiring more lawyers does in the real world.

10. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017

11. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    They need to get a group of 10 trustworthy people that review catches during games on a weekly basis. If 8/10 (maybe even 9/10)say it’s a catch it’s a catch. Everyone’s under the microscope, so you can be canned at any time. I would think most of these catch reviews can be heavily one sided as to a catch or no catch. Surely 10/10 would says Jesse James TD was a catch right?

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If that were Gronk and the call went our way, as a fan I would be happy that the call went in our favor. However, I'm not sure "delighted" is the word I would use. I would actually almost feel as if we lost the game but the zebras (and a bad rule) won it for us. It would be a very ungratifying victory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Him losing the ball was inconclusive to me. It looked like his right hand was under the ball the whole time.

But my thing is he caught and tried to turn in mid air to stretch for the goal line. In that instance there is no need for a football move.

Plus he had a knee AND an elbow down before the ball hits the ground. At what point is he not a runner there. Theoretically you can run 100 yards on just your knees and elbows?

14. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    I’m glad we didn’t win like that. I’d rather lose like a man then be gifted a win.

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I do have a question I would like to ask the NFL if I could. "If after JJ broke the plain with his stretch, but before the ball moved, if a defender swatted the ball out of his hands, would it still have been ruled an incomplete catch?"

If the answer is "He broke the plain and because the ball never moved, it is a TD", then the rule is hopelessly flawed and wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If he loses control of the ball before heading back to the bench for any reason it is a no catch.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    ^This x1000

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That would mean the initial Pats TD is overturned since he basically let the ball go one step after crossing the plane of the goal line thus losing control.

19. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I guess you don't have to go all the way back to the bench if you don't go to the ground.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If you're going to the ground as you're attempting to catch the ball, you have to establish possession and "survive the ground". JJ was going to the ground. If a defender swatted the ball away before JJ could both establish possession AND survive the ground? Incomplete.

I'm not saying last night's review decision was correct. To me, IT WAS WRONG. I'm just answering your hypothetical.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    As the dust begins to settle and more nfl officials are walking back statements on the overturned TD or saying how wrong the overturn was or which rule applied, the only vindication the league is going to potentially get is if the Patriots lose in the divisional playoffs. Because if it comes down to a rematch at Foxboro that is a huge problem nightmare.

22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    My friends who are Pats fans feel exactly like this.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You have friends who are Pats fans?! :eek:...;)

• Like Like x 2
  24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, I should be a better judge of character. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1