1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bryant versus Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 13, 2017.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    After making the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history Harrison can say what ever he wants!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well I'm pretty sure him being alright with it doesn't mean he was alright with basically not playing at all.....there's a small difference

3. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Its not a double standard - Harrison has earned the right to speak his mind. MB is nothing but a ***** who bitches.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Harrison is delusional if he thought another team was going to sign him, look how that year in Cincy went for him.

5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    In my mind, it's both - he has to be looking at Dupree's results and thinking "I'd be better than that..."

AND

He figured Watt would be hitting the wall by now.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, we all know certain players are afforded some latitude in respect to there off the field actions.

Bryant gets none.

Harrison does get some because of what he's done for this organization. But the bigger question is what did the organization or coaches promise him before he signed the contract?

We will probably never know but I feel they should of rotated him more in the rotation because it's not like Bud was doing anything spectacular, Chick and Moats are just guys, so they could of instituted something for James Harrison.

Suggs is in the twilight of his career and probably doesn't offer anything in coverage or special teams and they find a way to use him.

I think the organization/coaches have some culpability in this entire mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt exactly call it a mess, they are 11-2.

Hes almost 40, I love what JH has done for this team too but hes nothing but an insurance policy at this point. He's a freak of nature but he has to come to grips with his age, hes not the future of this team.

I would have thought he would have been used more as a situational pass rusher but its not like its hurt them not having him play.

He needs not to become a distraction during the home stretch. If he doesnt create a stir Bryant style, there will be no mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Wish he would teach Dupree better hand fighting or a rip move or a spin move or how to bend around the edge.

9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015

This, this, and 100 times this!

(see also: Santonio Holmes)

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't have a problem with what Harrison said, but let's not portray the guy as if he is an angel. Somebody brought up Bryant's off-field issues. Harrison has had off-field issues, too. He only escaped a domestic abuse charge because the woman let him off the hook. If that happened this year, he would have been suspended for six games.

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This! Times 10! You would think he would be close to a show stopper this season, going all out, catching everything that comes his way, taking it up another notch, being humble with the opportunity. Negative. Hope he gets shown the door after this season, or they get some small value in a trade. Done with his crap.

James Harrison is a Steelers icon. And is Hall of Fame caliper. He gets a free pass as far as i'm concerned. As a competitor he want to compete. This will be his last season and hopefully he gets on with his life's work as a strength and conditioning coach.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so all this talk about MB not producing has got me wondering and I checked some numbers. MB is not really off his stats much from his last year playing. Where he is off is his long gains which by the way isn't all on him. Right now he has 37 rec for 419 and a 11.3 avg with a long of 51 in 12 games. His last year before suspension he was 50 rec for 765 and a 15.3 avg with a long of 88 in 11 games.

Throw in the fact that Juju is now into the picture and really MB has some decent numbers. The long bomb is not there and that is in part of Ben, the system and MB himself. It isn't like MB is running down the field alone people are playing him over the top and we are taking what they are giving us hence the good numbers by Juju & AB. jmo

Oh one last this he had a 54.3 catch % in 2015 and right now has a 55.2%..........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe Harrison can't say anything he wants?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course not. Only star players can, not past stars. He got paid and got recognition for his past success, and he'll get recognition in the future as well, but that doesn't mean he can do or say whatever he wants right now. It was time for him to go.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    While I agree his skills have gone down....a little and what we are doing now at OLB with coverage he can't do. However with a team needing players to help with this loss of RS I can't see why this move was made. We keep guys like Spence and McCullers who offer nothing.....NOTHING!!!!!! Sorry but week 16 is not what the week you do this to one of our legends, especially when this guy came out of retirement when WE needed him a ton. JMO.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not happy with what just happened, but Spence does not offer “nothing.” If you watch the All-22 film, you’ll see that he actually had a respectable game vs. NE given that we signed him off the street 2 weeks ago. Shazier is done for the year, and we need a quick ILB who can drop into coverage. McCullers.... It’s about depth at D Line in case on injury.

As much as I don’t like what happened, and especially the timing, I’m not sure what JH was offering at this point. His 11 snaps vs the Ravens were pretty underwhelming, and I think he’s a clear #5 on the depth chart, yet he doesn’t play special teams (usually an absolute requirement for a guy who is #5 on th depth chart). If AB hadn’t been injured, maybe it would have been Hunter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whether SS or Big Dan offer nothing is irrelevant. You would still need to have players at those specific positions, And they would take those roster spots. Wouldn't change anything.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have not watched the all 22 but I am not impressed with spence. Not to mention what does this say about our coaching staff's decision on our back ups when a guy sitting home steps right in and starts. Other than RS injury nothing has changed so why has JH been on this team if the coaching staff felt that way? It has been an out right disrespect to JH the whole way this situation has been handled. I get our olb' drop into coverage and JH can't do that. Than if that is the case why bring him back to begin with. Sorry this team owes him a lot better than that. The guy came out of retirement to save our ass, he didn't come out of retirement for his own reasons.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It sure is we have guys who can play there. Like I just posted to disrespect JH like this is wrong. JH has sat on the bench and when he gets time he gets a sack. He may not be able to cover but he can still rush. While we are on it Soence can't cover either and he still gets out out there and his place in steeler history is a pimple on JH butt!!

Just like big brother jj pointed out tj can drop into coverage. That would allow us to still put JH on the field and we would be a better team with tj/JH than we are with tj/SS. The bottom line is I would rather have a guy that can produce that guys that don't and if you think SS or big Dan offers more than JH than it is your right I don't feel that way.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm upset that Harrison was released, but I ask myself who goes before him? Forget that it's SS and McCullers in those positions. If you cut one of those guys you have to fill their vacancies with guys to fill those same positions. Those roster spots are for a NT and an ILB regardless of who they are.
    Go look at the roster and ask yourself who makes sense. The only other one would be maybe Sensabaugh? That's the only position that could stand to lose a player.

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

There's 2 big differences...

#1 - Harrison is right. I think most agree with him. He should be playing more..he's an upgrade to Bud on the run defense and pass rushing. He's great to have for depth but not utilizing his skill set every week is stupid... we just let him rot. It was insulting to a player that has given everything to the steelers. He's a steeler legend and did not deserve to be treated like a piece of crap. Why were they not honest with him to begin with?

#2 Byrant created his own problems. He screwed the team over and was lucky to be on our roster collecting a paycheck. Also he was given opportunities since week 1...he for the most part failed to contribute..which again is on him. The dropped balls, poor route running, poor effort, etc were all Bryan's fault. Harrison never got an opportunity and it didn't take Einstein to know Harrison is a better LB then Bud Dupree.

Now Harrison is gone... we take an injury to one of our OLB's then we could be in trouble with no options. If we didn't want Harrison on the team they wtf did Tomlin waste a roster spot on him? This is just another embarrassing gaffe by Tomlin.

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No different than any other position?

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Right or wrong it's always detrimental to the team to be speaking out in the media like either one of them did. Was Bryant tirade worse? Most certainly, but Harrison's was wrong too regardless of how good a player he was.
    I'm not sure if it figured into their decision or not though.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what your saying and yeah while Big Dan stinks he is at a different position I get it but don't agree especially with the kind of hybrid system the Steelers play. Also that is why I pointed out Watt playing coverage, I really believe Watt is our best answer at ILB when we are dropping them into covereage. JMO

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What about Harrison now? Seems like he may have been worse than Bryant?