1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The clock at the end of the game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelinOhio, Dec 11, 2017.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I looked away for just a second when the Rats got the ball at the end of the game, expecting them to have a last shot at a Hail Mary. Then my son said, "Dad, the clock is running and the Ravens aren't ready," and I looked up, and sure enough the clock just ran down to 0.

Whatever exatly happened there? I missed it when I looked away, and if Collinsworth and Micheals explained it, I didn't catch what they said.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    When the ball is fumbled out of bounds the clock is restarted at the ref’s ready sign for lack of a better term. It prevents teams from fumbling the ball out of bounds intentionally to stop the clock. The ravens should have been aware of the situation and either spiked it or lined up for a Hail Mary.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    If the ball is fumbled out of bounds in the last 2 minutes of the game, the clock doesn't stop, so Ravens could only stand there confused and hopeless watching the seconds tick away.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Here's a link to the rule. Section 3 A.R. 4.5 (g)

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_Rule4_Game_Timing.pdf

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Ahh, got it, thanks! That makes sense.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I want to know why, Tomlin doesn't call two run plays, Steelers should of ran that down to the last seconds and kicked the Field Goal. Tomlin was very lucky Steelers D bailed him out on that one.

He must of forgot that Justin Tucker was the Ravens kicker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I wouldn't have minded them throwing on 3rd down on that drive to get closer. 46 yarder in Heinz is no gimme. But I was shocked he didn't force the Ravens to use their last timeout on 2nd down.

The little things are so important. I get if you are playing to win. But you also have to think about the plays you HAVE to make. And on 2nd down if they have one more timeout left and you know they will use it, you have to at least you make sure you use a play that gets the ball and stay in bounds.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    But if you run it for two plays and only get 2-4 yards that would make it closer too.

9. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Ben was lighting them up.. the play was there, the pressure got there too quick.. that field goal was not easy. the bigger question is, why didn't the Ravens run the ball more when they had the ball with a chance to ice the game.? they were running all over us, even when we knew it was coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Or how about, why didn't the ref throw a flag at the Balt WR that stepped out of bounds, caught the ball and tried to toe tap inbounds, you know the one that was reviewed..... pretty sure they should have called "illegal touching"..... as the WR clearly stepped out of bounds, and I don't think he "reestablished" himself back inbounds before catching the pass. If that rule is still in the book, I'm not sure why they didn't push them back 5 yards.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what had me confused.

They tried to get too cute even after a successful run!

Yes they did get stuffed on one, but that wasn't happening all game!

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They were completely confused lol. I was thinking to myself WHY are they huddling up????

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. The Ravens should have run on third-and-four to try to put the game away. They did the Steelers a tremendous favor by throwing.

I also agree that the Steelers should have run on second down before the game-winning field goal, but I have no problem with the pass attempt on third down. The play was there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Didn't that happen in a game for us last season also?

15. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    I thought the same thing, but I looked it up and in that situation it is incomplete but not a penalty; so refs were correct

16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel like I remember it happening sometime not too long ago. I had forgotten the rule until I asked in this thread, but once everyone chimed in, I feel like it did happen in the last couple of years, at least for some NFL team if not the Steelers.

17. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yah but I have also seen plenty of times this year where they lose 2 yards on those runs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Then line it up where Boz wants it and take a knee. It's a negligible loss of yardage.

I'm glad Boz has been great this year. I'm just afraid we may be relying on him TOO MUCH this year. I want to see them just put a team away for once.

19. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    On 2nd down in that situation you run it with the best RB in the NFL 10 out of 10 times. Inexcusable to throw a 50/50 ball to your 3rd string TE. That’s on Tomlin for likely calling for or at the very least green lighting a pass. It’s on Haley for not running something for AB or a throw away.

3rd down should have then been a run. Running the ball in that situation is not turtling, playing not to win or whatever you want to call it. It’s good sound strategy.

Defense got the job done

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Listening to the Call of the game on that final play Tj's sack fumble was third down so they couldn't clock it even if they had realized what was going on. They maybe had 3 seconds to hike and throw a hail.mary

21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This. It's almost like they were deliberately handing us the game for playoff positioning and ensuring them a trip to Foxboro or something.

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Officials stopped the clock at 0:08. It stayed frozen for several long seconds, then quietly began running again. TV didn’t show any officials, and I didn’t hear any whistles. Apparently, neither did the Ravens. Looked like Flacco saw the clock stopped, then missed its restart.