1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst safeties in the league

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Dec 10, 2017.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree and I add comments to this list: Dupree, if you watch him close last game, he is playing soft and slow.

Sutton now needs to play more, seen enough now he is better then Cody. Forget Spence and Moats in the middle. I've seen high school players tackle better then Davis, Burns, Cody, and even Dupree at times. This horrible tackling is not something new and has been haunting us all year.

One more thing, loved Carnell Lake as a player, but seen enough and he has plenty time to prove himself, but he should be fired and replaced at the end of this season.

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I would like to see Gay starting at FS. He is smart and even last year was our best CB.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert screwed up by not drafting Mitchell's replacement this past draft, Mitchell always have these nagging injuries. When he does play he misses too many tackles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually really like Davis. He had a bad night last night...but we did just lose our best defensive player the week before and, lets face it, the D as a whole gave up 35 points to Flacco and the less than stellar Ravens offense. First game out of the way after the horrific injury to Shazier - lets hope they regroup and can focus on playing disciplined football.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The biggest issue is Davis and Burns gave up HUGE penalties last night.

They need to be mentally sound. Discipline is the key.

Burns should have never taken his helmet off. He could have gotten even more tacked on to that call.

Also I'm starting to want Willie Gay out there more. He is a vet. He knows the defense through and through. He might not make huge plays, but he also won't make mistakes.

6. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Emotionally, I want to disagree with this, but intellectually I can't. The middle of our D is non-existent without Shazier. Patriots might run no other plays but runs and then throws to Gronk. The only thing that stopped the Ravens last night was dumb play calling and poor QB play. I'm pretty sure neither of those will be an issue for the Patriots.

I don't agree with the forfeiting part though, but I'm guessing that was tongue-in-cheek by you anyway

7. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Shamarko is still out there somewhere! (and you can bet that wherever it is there are no wide receivers within miles)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't normally blame officiating but IMO there were several questionable calls last night. One of Burns' PI was particularly frustrating... Wallace, in the replay, clearly GRABBED Burns' shoulderpad and DRAGGED him to the ground. Before that it was all arm positioning which is always happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes, Golden is bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Agree officiating was crap.

But we can’t blame this all on Shazier. We’ve struggled defensively for 3 weeks straight .... against terrible teams . Davis has not been good by any stretch so to say this was his only bad game is laughable. He’s the SS. He’s suppose to provide deep coverage , cover TE’s, RB’s, and run support ... obviously depending on the called defense . The big plays and inept run defense is a direct result of bad safety play . Sure Dupree can’t pressuew the QB. Tutu and Hargrave are both struggling against the run . These are all reasons why I’d say we might have the worst defense Pittsburgh has seen since the 60’s. The wheels have fallen off since the packer game.

11. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Spence and Moates were bad but have not been in the spotlight for a while. Dupree is disappointing. I think everyone was thinking this was the time of the year that he turns it on. It seems 50 made a lot of people better than what they were.

That guy is so hard to quit talking about. I really never thought there would be another defensive player that was as invaluable like 43 was in his day.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What's really disappointing is the defense keeps regressing. I don't see how they are ranked in the top 5. I swear... only half of the starters should be back next year. I'd keep Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Williams, Watt, Haden and Shazier if he's able to play again at a high level. Keep Hilton, Matekevich and develop Sutton for depth. The rest I would sh!tcan in a heartbeat. Dupree, Moats, Spence, Chickillo, Davis, Burns, Mitchell... all need to get on with their life's work. Gay has been a good Steeler, but father time has caught up with him. Time to clean house on D.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was joking about forfeiting, should have used green font.... trying to rile Glenn. :smiley1:

14. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Burns could play for the Seahawks and never get called for PI.

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know that I'd label them "worst in the league," but they definitely didn't make a case for themselves otherwise, last night.

If they don't tighten up, then they will have a long day against Brady.

16. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    We will put 25 lbs of muscle on Dupree, convert to ILB. Then he won’t be able to cover or rush the passer.

17. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Mitchell will retire and succeed as Steelers D-dacks coach.