1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH TEAMS WILL BE LOOKING FOR QB'S?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With discussion of which Qb's are out there and who you may like,

What teams will pull the trigger and how could it effect Steelers pick/s?

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Unfortunately several teams will be looking. Here’s my take:

Definitely Looking:
    Browns - after ruining Kizer, they’ll find another young QB to destroy
    Giants - Eli is about done
    Jets - I hear that they love Josh Allen
    Cards - they may trade way up this year to grab a guy like Rosen or Darnold
    Bills - they clearly don’t like Taylor, and I don’t think they’ve ever thought of Peterman as the future
    Jags - Blake Bortles is their kryptonite

These teams will make the top of the 1st round very intriguing. I really see the Cards making a big move. They may even package a bunch of picks to entice Cleveland’s dopey brass into a trade to #1 before the draft (if those Cleveland dip___s are still employed). The Jets may do the same with the 49ers, who would be very wise to deal. Just my gut feeling.

Maybe Looking:
    Broncos - Lynch’s absence is getting interesting. When he has seen the field, he’s sucked.
    Colts - just how bad is Luck’s shoulder that he needs to go to Europe for treatment?
    Chargers - I think they’ll try to add another piece to win with Rivers in R1, but they could go QB
    Skins - if Cousins leaves, they need a QB badly
    Bengals - have they had enough of Dalton yet?
    Ravens - Flacco is too expensive for what he brings. It may be time depending on how they finish
    Saints - Brees is getting up there, but he still has it big-time.

I think 1 or 2 of those teams could grab a 1st round QB if one slips to them. One could even surprise us and trade up like KC did last year.

How does it affect us? I see us drafting in the 29-32 range. Lots of teams are vying for the QB talent in this draft. We probably can’t piece together enough ammo to get to guys like Rosen, Darnold (if he comes out) or Allen (ditto). There also may be other guys who go before us like Rudolph, Mayfield (who I really like) or Jackson (who I really don’t like). The chance of us getting a legit 1st round QB talent is very low IMO.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Also take into account some teams will fill their needs via FA. For example what do the Bunholes do with Daulton/McCarren? One of them guys will then be available to fill a teams need, same thing in KC with Smith/Mahomes.

I think a team like the Vikes could be looking, sorry not buying into the keenum hype yet.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I forgot the Vikes. Add another shopper. There are way more teams looking for a QB than legit 1st round QB prospects, even in this QB-heavy draft. The very few available FA QBs won’t fill enough openings to allow us to be in the sweepstakes for guys like Rosen and Darnold. Also, those FA QBs aren’t exactly franchise players. Maybe Cousins, but that’s about it. Smith is under contract for another season, and the combined cap hit for Smith and Mahomes is less than a handful of individual QB cap hits. So, it’s far from a foregone conclusion that he’ll be available. After that you’re talking McCarron (overhyped with no real track record IMO), Bradford (glass), and maybe guys who get released like Tyrod Taylor, Dalton or Siemen. Not intriguing.

My guess is that if Ben retires, our starter next year is one of the guys on our current roster or a cut like Tyrod Taylor on a 1 or2 year deal while a QB who’s not pro ready (maybe Dobbs) is groomed. Don’t expect a top tier QB to land in our laps on draft day and take over in his rookie season. That’s really, really unlikely. Supply and demand is not our friend.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes I agree and I am not saying guys like MaCarron and Mahomes are or aren't gonna succeed I am just saying you have guys who will fill spots. For example one of the KC guys will come available and the same with the Bungals so there are 2. Add in Cousins, Tyrod, Garoppolo and maybe Brees there is another 3 maybe 4, so take 5 teams off the list. Does anyone give Bardford and/or Keenum a shot..maybe add another to make 6 spots filled by FA. I am not saying there isn't a need I am just saying there may not be as big of one in the first round.

This class is deep you have Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph and Allen as the early "locks" as 1st rounders. That will make 12 teams needing QB's taking care of right?

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    First of all, if Garappalo hits the market, then San Fran enters the list as the neediest team. Secondly, none of the rest of those FAs are likely to deter a team from taking a 1st round QB, except for Cousins (and if changes teams, Washington is probably all in for a 1st round QB). Third, I’m reading that neither Darnold or Allen may come out this year (I don’t think Allen should).

Those other FAs are stop gaps that teams will sign to start while a 1st rounder gets ready. Only Cousins (and Garappalo if SF doesn’t extend him) are likely to dissuade a team from grabbing a 1st round QB. If any of the guys you listed falls to our range, it will be because no team views him as being good enough, not because the teams aren’t looking for QBs. I don’t think all of those guys are locks. Rudolph has some mixed tape that can be scary, Mayfield is short and Jackson is a runner first, passer second.

There will be QBs available with potential when we pick, but the only guy with a realistic shot of being there that I see as close to NFL ready is Mayfield. I love his game, but I’m also reading that some scouts have as low as a 3rd round grade on him (though I can’t understand why).

My guess is that at least 4-5 QBs go before we’re even in trade-up range. Just my view, and I have a TON more tape to watch to know who “my” guys are (though I will say that Rosen’s arm talent is fantastic, and Allen has a good gun too).

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Correct if garappolo does go somewhere you add SF to the list then you also take one off......

As far as the other guys if a team signs Smith or MaCarron or one of the other guys mention they will not be looking 1st round for a QB, jmo.

As for the whole I don't like this guy or this guy is to small I am not into all that and neither is anyone else or else Dak and Russell wouldn't have lasted till the 3rd round. It is way early to judge who is good and who is bad and who is or isn't coming out. I can just for now go by what the rankings are, ya know?

I agree with you about the QB run that is gonna happen I just also feel FA is going to knock into that a bit.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Wishful thinking IMO. Would you be comfortable with Tyrod Taylor as our long run solution at QB to the point where you’d pass on a guy you think could be our franchise QB for the next decade? Same question for Bradford, Keenum, McCarron, etc. I would hope the answer is no if you ever want to have a true franchise QB again. Why would you expect any other team to sign one of those guys and pass on a QB prospect that they like?

Consider the Bears last year. They had just signed Mike Glennon, and then drafted Trubisky. They spent some good coin on Glennon, but were not going to pass in their potential franchise QB in the draft. Very few teams will pass on their potential franchise QB when they don’t already have one. Not every front office is as dumb as the Browns’ moneyball team.

Your view that someone is going to get Bradford or McCarron and say “we’re good, no need for Sam Darnold!” sounds like wishful thinking to me. If QB needy teams (other than Cleveland) pass on a QB, it’s because the guys they have graded high are gone.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies everybody, I really feel we will pick
    Ben's heir apparent this draft. And thought that this might be a good topic to discuss
    and get people's thought on how we might go about trying to aquire this person?
    As you can see there will be lots of competition in the QB derby. I hope our scouts are working overtime. I am also going to add if a new QB comes in a new OC must also be hired,
    that would have the patience to work with a young QB and develop.

I am looking for a QB that can win in the pocket.

May I also add, I am not a cap person, and do not follow other teams cap limitations.
    This also may play a part other than the need of other teams searching for the next Carson Wentz.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

It is not wishful thinking just thinking teams like Clowns and Bills already spent a pick on a young QB and might want to bring in a vet guy and try to bring these young guy along. Also teams like Jags, Broncos, Colts and even the Skins my feel they are close and want a vet.

This is not my thinking just throwing out these options as to what can happen. You never know what teams think. Nobody knows what teams opinions are one guys like MaCarron, Tyrod or even Bradford and Keenum. A team may think they are good enough IDK and you don't know....**** half the times the teams don't know lol.

You bring up Glennon and it made me think about this a little more both him and Hoyer were signed and that team draft a QB high. So I guess it may not matter if a team signs a guy like you say they may still draft a QB. That Glennon contract was crazy 3/45 and I would not expect a team to draft a QB so you may be right. One thing I think is there will be a run of QB's in the first round how many I don't know.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The run will last as long as the QBs that are graded in the 1st round (by the teams, not the media) are available. I still think that, for the most part, signing a FA will only dissuade a team from drafting a QB if 1) they see the FA as the long term answer (I only see Cousins in tha5 category), or 2) they see someone on their roster as the long term answer, and want the FA to bridge the gap. By the way, we may be in the latter category depending on how our coaches and front office see Dobbs’ long run potential. It’s possible that the Bills or Broncos may be there as well, though I’m doubting that with the Bills. Bottom line is that the demand will be high enough such that a consensus top 3 QB is not getting anywhere close to where we pick. The only guys we have a shot at are ones that very few other teams have graded as 1st round talent.

We have months of film watching ahead of us to come up with our own views on the individual prospects. Focusing on the QB position will be fun and new, and a bit scary as well given the stakes. I’ll watch plenty of film on the top guys, but my focus will primarily be on guys outside of the top ranked 3-5 QBs because I think that’s where we will need to find our guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Fair enough I agree with that and for the record when it comes to a top 3 player going to the Steelers I usually try not to ever think we have a chance since we draft so low every year. If QB is a priority and like you say Dobbs isn't in our "starting" plans the Steelers will have no choice but to trade up.

I enjoy the draft and the talk of different prospects here and this year may add a little spice to the conversation if Ben hangs them up......

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, I think Dobbs may be part of the plan. I could see us going into next season with Landry, Dobbs and a 2nd - 4th round rookie as the 3 QBs on the roster if Ben hangs up his cleats. Or maybe substitute a guy like Tyrod Taylor in place of Landry as s the short term starter. I think Dobbs will have a chance to compete to be the long term starter, and I don’t think we’ll spend a bunch of draft picks to move up for someone else. I honestly would not be terribly surprised if Dobbs becomes a quality NFL QB. I think having him as Plan A is a bit scary, but he has the physical tools and intelligence to succeed. We haven’t seen him since preseason, but our coaches and FO have seen him every day since. I wonder what he’s shown them.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Like I said I have not seen enough of him but I like what he brings. It will also be a big help that he will have a very good if not great cast around him. I know it is not the Steeler way to trade up especially as high as it may have to be to grab a top guy. Gonna be interesting to see how things play out with Ben. I think if we win the SB he is riding off, but if we don't I think him coming back will be 50-50 and a lot will depend on what happens to the offense, Bell especially.

I haven't even looked at the draft guys yet just going from what I hear but I would not be surprised if we end up trading up in the 2nd to grab our guy. Like I said the draft is a long way away and ranking prospects is unthinkable right now but I just have a gut feeling.....maybe just wishful thinking too..lol!

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Trading up in the 2nd is much, much less costly than trading up in the 1st, and yeah we could see that happen. A trade up in the first is certainly possible to grab a guy we like who doesn’t go in the Top 15-20 picks, but we’re not going to move up into the Top 10 for a top rated guy. The Rosens and Darnolds of the world are out of reach unless they fall sharply (which would happen for a reason).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I would expect the Pats to use one of their second rounders on a QB. Hoyer isn't a long term solution and you have to have someone back there in case Brady gets injured tripping over one of his rings.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I can see Dobbs as a back up QB for a few games a year if needed. Nothing more. Here is hoping
    Steelers find their #1 somehow. I am not ready to go back to 6-10 & 7-9 teams.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The Giants drafted Davis Webb this year so it's highly unlikely they will be looking to spend their high draft pick on another QB............

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe the Steelers will move if they like a certain QB, but not into the top 10.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. there are some pretty decent qb's coming out that will be in that range. :cool:

21. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Could someone please explain to me why everyone seems to have the Vikings needing a QB? They've got Keenum, Bridgewater, and Bradford under contract. Keenum is 7-2. Bradford looked like God his first game this year. And Bridgewater is the guy they really want. Why would they even consider a first or second round QB, when they're already the #2 or 3 team in the NFC?

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    2 of those 3 will be free agents next year and could cost many millions. bradford being hurt all the time and having to pay him is crazy, tying up that much money. they could sign or franchise kenum like the skins are doing with cousins to have a prove it season. bradford could be on the market. or they draft one and use bridgewater. :cool:

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Because Keenum has been a career journeyman that has had his first real success with Minny. Bradford is hurt all the time, and Bridgewater is coming off a potentially career altering injury and may not be the same player. They could very well be in the market for a young QB and keep Bridgewater and one of the other two vets. Or Bridgewater could not be the same player and they are forced to stick with one of the vets and draft a new guy.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i stand corrected. all 3 of those qb's are FA's next year. :cool: