1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No Huddle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Got that Haley.

Rest of the way, unleash it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Like you generally say;

"Even a blind squirrel can find nuts."

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I normally hate the dink and dunk, especially when Brady kills us with it. But it worked well last night. Could have used even a little more of it, to be quite honest. They couldn't stop our out routes. It was a beautiful thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Not sure why we abandoned it in the first half

5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Dink and dunk seems to usually be the answer against Lebeau's D.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's obvious that Haley got the message. His Hall of Fame bound QB has been calling for it and someone forced Haley's hand.

And the result speaks for itself, as Ben played his best game this season as well as the rest of the Offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Ben has said it is much easier to run when at home because of the crowd noise (or lack thereof). All the more reason why that December 17th game is so huge if we are to make a deep run in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id like to think Tomlin told Haley to go back to it at halftime.

Or maybe Haley just swallowed his pride and went with it.

Or maybe Ben said stfu Todd, Im running it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that, but they really have to find a way to run it regardless of the venue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The Steelers also said in a short week, the no huddle was best to use because they dont have as much time to game plan. I thing its better because it takes out the predictable play calling by Haley and the overuse of Bell runs up the middle. This is the offense that many of us wanted to see, play action and have Ben attack with his multiple receivers and not so reliant on Bell and conservative game planning.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was a little more empty set than I like to see, but the only real criticism I have of last night's offense was the odd decision to abandon the quick passing for most of the first half. It doesn't have to always be no huddle, but the short passing game was there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I swear the Steelers read these forums. How many times this year were we calling for play action passes? Last night the play action was killing the Titans and resulted in a couple TD. The one to Jesse James from the 1 yard line was a beauty, he and Nix were both wide open. I think Haley finally listen to us when it was so obvious.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    More like for the first half of the season. Let's see if they stick with it, it seems just when you think it's the turning point, they go back to playing deep ball stupidity

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They will take their deep shots and they should. The first touchdown was a deep ball. They had a shot on the second drive as well, but Roethlisberger overthrew it.

But they need to focus more on the short and intermediate routes. Of course, the opponent makes a difference. The Titans' safety play makes it tougher to rely on the deep ball, but the spread formations the Steelers employed forced Tennessee into more man coverage.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, question:

If they are running no huddle, which has a quick tempo, who is sending the players in and out. One moment we are empty set, next time Bell is in the backfield. Or was Bell just moving back and forth from the line?

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    When you have the weapons we have why not? Also it keeps Ben healthy and that is big time as we will go no place without him.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bell was lining up as a receiver in the empty sets.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Those people just like having the squirrel in their pants.

19. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    The no huddle works well for Ben because it allows him to call plays he's comfortable with based on what he sees. That's great and all until you start building tendencies, which will happen if you use it often.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you caught that too glory. the out routes, quick throws and angled routes. ( slants- curls- crossers- digs- stops- comebacks) the go routes or streaks haven't been good most of the time and we started running more angles in the second half and it worked well. :cool:

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yep, and while you're moving the chains with small ball, you're also sucking up the safety(s). Any of our receivers can break one and take it to the house. Just takes a missed/broken tackle or well placed rub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There was one out route by AB he had Adoree Jackson all turned around.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    If I'm thinking of the right one, I don't even think he was supposed to turn it out. I really think he was supposed to either work the middle or hook. He started the hitch and then turned it all the way around and out toward the sideline where Ben hit him. It was similar to what he did when Ben missed him and he threw the tantrum.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    That was a thing of beauty. Looked like a textbook post corner that had the rookie doing circles lol. AB's routes are so sharp and he comes out of his breaks faster than anyone I've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Adoree Jackson could be on my team anyday, he is covering the best wr in the game. for

a rookie, he was quite impressive.