1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does this coaching staff wait so long

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Oct 30, 2017.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That list goes on and on, including Ben. They would have squandered them all, that's what the Browns do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Red zone issues were there even when Ben was in better physical condition.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Um.....

As much as I love the potential of Dobbs, throwing him into the literal "Lion's Den" would have been catastrophic to his development.

He just may get there in time. For now though, learning is essential. Luckily for him, two things work in his favor;

1.) He is learning behind a Hall of Fame Quarterback.

Two and more importantly...

2.) He wants to be better than he is. Nevermind his renowned intellectual prowess, his showcasing of poise and perseverance on the final drive against Carolina this preseason is exactly what I wanted to see from him.

That being said, all he needs to do is simply progress organically and naturally. Artifical rapid growth can backfire a lot worse than it can assist.

4. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Vick was washed up and we tried the wrong type of packages . I would use Dobbs with the run/pass option Offense that a lot of Teams use now .If the box is stacked the pass. If we go pass then off the fake just like the Texans do with Watson and get him on the edge . From there he has better passing windows and another run/pass option.This would force Teams to protect the edge which would give Bell more room.It would also help create better passing angles for the WR'S .

I think Dobbs could do well at that , because he would only be reading half the field and the speedy WR'S would be running into his vision .

Heck in a perfect world just the threat of the boot game is enough to open up the inside running game . He might not even have to pass. If they stack the box like they do Ben he could crawl in for a score on the edge.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes washed up but still more mobile if I'm playing into some of your arguements. But you also mentioned wrong packages which wouldn't it be pretty far fetched to believe the right packages would manifest with dobbs? Same team same philosophy... Similar results. Vick wasn't doing much, dobbs would do less than Vick in all honesty. I understand what you're saying, but it ain't happening and if it did, would ,MAYBE work a time or 2. Ben can run a boot book it. He can sneak for a yard, why they don't? That's the question of the year.

7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I don't understand this love of Dobbs around here. I'm not sure he's better than Jones and we know what we're getting in Jones! This team is going to win or lose with Ben at QB. People need to relax. The last three weeks Ben has looked much better. It's clear he isn't the old Ben we're used to, but He's finding his way and everything will be fine. Take a breath.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dear lord help us!!!

9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Yeah, I can't believe the coaches are waiting so long either!

What are they gonna do, wait until he is 13 -3?!!! It will be too late to pull Ben then

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. STEELWARRIOR

Oct 26, 2011
    Or maybe inhale one of those alcohol bulbs the players use...that will clear your thinking.:scratch:

11. STEELWARRIOR

Oct 26, 2011
    You mad Bro???:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    As much as I think Ben is playing inconsistent to sub-par, I think it would be a pretty big gamble, and I wouldn't take Ben out unless he was losing us games. Don't get me wrong, with what I see of Big Ben so far this year, I don't hink our chances are too good come playoff time, against teams that are good in the playoffs.

I believe Big Ben's demise in play is partly because of coaching. For all these coaching jobs in the NFL, it appears it is about a lot more than just calling plays. I think Its about communicating with players , developing relationships, and gettting your players to get on the same page as you(i.e, getting on the same page as your players' motives), to believe in your (group) vision. I think thats why Haley has always had a bad reputation with players; he doesn't know how to communicate with them. And I also openly question Tomlin'd abilities in this department. You have to have a clear vision first, and then you have to get players to buy into it.

Right now, I would much rather see Bell in the Wildcat, than Dobbs.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Must be able to evaluate talent, not sure Browns approach accounts for this. But everybody on this board loves Hue Jackson.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I wonder if jackson was here with his 1-23 record if they would still love him, truth is any coach in this league should be able to win a few games after playing 24 even with the browns, they are loaded with high draft picks so you would think even a sandlot coach could get more than 1 win with that high drafted roster....

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you ever wonder if reading particularly bad ideas causes brain damage? I found myself pondering that concern as I read this thread.

I'm not sure which is more ridiculous, the opening post or the argument that Dobbs' NFL stats are the same as Roethlisberger in 2017. Dobbs has no NFL stats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Not everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Someone (PWP) here a couple of weeks ago said Bell was finished, wasn't the same runner, and we should move on from him. I can't remember who (PWP) said that, but I have high hopes whoever (PWP) said it is as wrong about Ben as he was Bell. Washed up, same stats as Dobbs, give Dobbs a shot, run the right packages...You can't make this up! Damn I love this board! Where else can you find this kind of satire...oh wait, you were serious?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Easy guys....I guess I should have not written this thread this way. What I meant in the beginning of the season with Ben contemplating retirement, give Dobbs a try. I certainly did not to infer putting in him in this part of the season. Sorry for pissing a lot of people off.

19. SteelTruck

SteelTruck Member

Oct 31, 2017
    The only reason people think Ben is regressing and is finished is because he's contemplated retirement the past couple of years. If you go back to 2008, he had a very mediocre season. He got killed in Philly that year (something like 8 sacks) and I remember everyone claiming the sky had fallen, the team was done, Ben was finished, etc. Yet we still went on to win the Superbowl. Ben could be declining or he could be just having an off year. He still has zip on his throws when he needs to. He certainly doesn't scramble as much as he used to but he's only been sacked a few times this year. So I don't get the comments that he's easy to bring down now.

As others have stated, we're 6-2, sitting pretty in the division/conference and are well positioned to make our run. If some of you want to go back to the 80s and 90s where we're always hoping they put that rookie QB in to see if he's the next Bradshaw, be my guest. The Steelers were about 0-10 in turning low draft pick QBs into hall of famers.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think you pissed anybody off. I think you got a lot of people laughing at your idea and your backtracking doesn't make much sense, either. Just own what you suggested and move on.

21. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I've seen the whole Dobbs experiment before. Dennis Dixon, that dude from Bowling Green... dare I say.... Kord... no I won't go there.

I'm not a QB evaluator so I don't know. I hope nothing but the best for Dobbs. But for me, give me a drop back passer that can read defenses and go through progressions in a flash. Not many of those guys out there. Ben is on his last ride I'm afraid.

As for Watson... let's see if he can last. Rules have changed to help protect QBs but in the long run.. is his frame strong enough to hold up? RGIII had similar early success.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Watson is already better than RGIII at his best. You talk about Watson not holding up, but Roethlisberger battled his share of injuries and he is burning out a little younger than quite a few elite quarterbacks.

23. SteelTruck

SteelTruck Member

Oct 31, 2017
    None of those running QBs will hold up long term unless they can convert to a successful pocket passer after about 5 seasons. Running with the football on a regular basis results in a lot of hard and legal hits on the running QB. That's why most who play with that style don't last long.

24. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If Dobbs was our QB, we'd be about 1-7 right now. Seriously. Maybe 2-6.

Insane. Ben is 4th in passing yards in the entire NFL, but some rookie who has never even shown much at the college level would be better? Just stop. Ben has not been all-world this season (Jags game was insanely awful) but he is at least top 10 QB if not top 6.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Either they don't play long or they learn how to become more of a pocket passer (see Cunningham in MN, Steve Young). Then there are some that are so good at it that they do have longevity (Russell Wilson, Fran Tarkenton).