1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitchell’s Late Hit/Roughing Call on A. Smith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Clive From PIT, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I think our best pass defense is a little misleading. We have played Kizer, Case Kennum, Glennon, Flacco, Bortles, and Alex Smith.
    Smith is the best QB of that bunch and he is a borderline top 10 QB.
    I know we can only play who is on the schedule but i wanna see how good this Pass Defense is against Stafford, Brady, Mariota, and Watson.
    Hopefully the days of our pass defense being complete garbage is over but only time will tell when we play the good QB's.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its true that we havent faced the elite yet but its also true that bad QBs were carving up this secondary last year.

So they have definitely improved.

Personally I think the defense is on its way to being great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    No suspension or fine. It’s a ruff sport and he didn’t hit him hard enough to knock the dirt off his shoe. Smith was mad because they were getting beat. This stuff is getting stupid, Ben has been rolled up on several time this year and didn’t even get a flag.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Intentionally rolled up on with not mitigating factors.

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Live by the sword, die by the sword. A first time offender would have gotten a pass on that. The exact same explanation from a "clean" player would have passed the smell test and no one would be talking about it.

But since this is Mitchell, with his history of playing on the edge and his constant trash talking, it becomes an issue.

A fine is warranted just because of his history. A 1-game suspension shouldn't surprise anyone.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

SE I disagree, while we are getting better and we are getting more and more talent on that side of the ball. Just under 4 per rush still isn't good and I don't care if it is one play or 10 plays we give up the big one we still give it up. They don't give back that back, it still counts and yeah I get the 90 yarder at the end of the game was when it was out of reach. We are ranked 24th for a reason and I am hoping to see us improve there. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Ok so saying our run D is bad is "rooted in we suck and world ending" cause I do not believe I was on that track. I think i was pointing out how bad our run D is IMO, which by the way this is what you said in another post:

So which is it, first you say this now your just saying we are not that bad we are only bad on one play?

Now if your statement in this post was not directed at me no problem but I by no means was going there. I am just chatting about what I think is a part of our team that is bad. And since it is ranked 24th while our D as a whole is ranked #1 that should tell ya something, cause usually when you are ranked that low vs either pass or run I don't think you are going to be ranked so high overall. jmo

I agree with your assessment on Bud and Shazier....especially Bud, I also feel Mitchell & Davis aren't in place enough for back up(which by the way would be a big gain anyways). Gap responsibility and all that stuff is to deep for me but no matter how you look at it, what ever the problem is...it is a problem. :smiley1:

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Let me point out that cause I don't like him don't mean I don't root for him, felt the same way about VW and before he went down Sunday he was lighting it up. Now my problem with Mitchell's play is he is slow, another thing that drives me up a wall is how when he makes a play or big hit no matter where on the field he is pretty cocky and to the point of taunting. I am not calling for his head I am just pointing out how he is the weak link right now.

Again being #1 is just a stat and stats can be misleading. For example not hard to gain stats when a QB only throw 14 times vs ya cause the run was working for them and our QB was playing for them as well. I am not trying to tear anything down, you should know me by now I try to be positive as one can be. I am just talking about Mitchell's abilities and judging from the comments from the past there were a ton of people that felt the same way as I do about him...:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really don't think you're getting my point, so I'll break down one of the 5 games where you apparently think we didn't stop the run. Here are the Vikings runs on down and distance:

2-9: 7 yards (OK, not good)
    2-20: 0 yards
    3-20: 9 yards (9 yards on 3rd and 20 is a big win for the defense even though it raises the average)
    1-10: -4 yards
    2-14: 1 yard
    2-1: 0 yards
    3-1: 2 yards
    1-10: 1 yard
    2-9: 4 yards (end around)
    1-10: 0 yards
    2-4: -3 yards
    1-5: 7 yards (ended 1st half, so good result even though it hurts the average)
    1-10: 6 yards
    2-6: 10 yards
    1-10: 4 yards
    1-10: 25 yards
    1-1: 1 yard TD

The 5 plays above were a not-so-good stretch of the 3rd quarter, featuring the big run by Cook to the 1 yard line where Haden blew contain, and both Davis and Mitchell whiffed.

The final 3 run plays came after we had built a big lead, and the defense was all-in defending against the pass AND all 3 ended with tackles in bounds which kept the clock running, so they are generally wins for the defense given the game situation even though they hurt the average yards:

2-10: 8 yards
    1-10: 6 yards
    2-20: 6 yards (a win for the defense on 2nd and 20)

So, looking at the above I would say we stopped the run a hell of a lot better than the average yards per carry would indicate. There were only 3 running plays in the entire 1st half over 4 yards, and one was a 9 yard gain on 3rd and 20 (big win for defense) and another was 7 yards on the final play of the half (harmless, but hurts average). The only 4 yarder was an end around to Diggs.

In other words, just looking at the average doesn't tell the full story. I'm not saying we don't have a problem to fix, but it's not nearly as bad as the average indicates. Further, studying the tape shows fixable issues and not a lack of ability to stop the run. That should give us comfort that it's not a case of us simply not having the horses to stop the run.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I should have used the word “consistently” in my statement about the run defense not being adequate. My bad. To hear some people complain, you’d think that we’ve been consistently pounded by the opposing running game. That has not been the case. There have been inexcusable bad stretches like the 1st half and overtime vs. Chicago, and the awful 8 minute 4th quarter Jax drive, but there have been games where the actual performance over the course of the game when factoring in game situations and down/distance have been solid, and the evidence is on the scoreboard regardless of what the average yards say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with you and your right just looking at averages don't tell the story just like picking out one game that we won by the way don't tell the whole story. Great job with the break down that was a lot of work but I am sure if you pulled up the Bears or Jag games the splits would be much different. IMO we have a problem vs the run, I don't care what the numbers say or what our rank is I believe what I see. It is a very fixable problem and I am not saying the world is coming to an end, I am just saying we have a problem......much like you did before I posted. You kind of changed your stance a bit since my post not sure why. :smiley1:

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Now this I can agree with.......:thumbs_up:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So stats are only misleading when it fits your agenda?

Like I said, just stick with you dont like the guy :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t change my stance. I said it’s a fixable problem when you break down the games. I said it’s a problem, but not as bad of a problem as the 24th ranking or some views expressed out here would indicate. That’s still my stance. Hopefully the Chiefs game was indicative that many of the fundamental errors that led to toxic plays in run defense are being addressed. I am hopeful that players on both sides of the ball were so embarrassed by the stinky turd they left on the field vs. Jax that they are focusing more attention to fundamentals in practice. I’m not just referring to the defense. The blocking was also mediocre vs. the Jags.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Also, I didn’t do the same type of breakdown of the Ravens game, but given how we stopped their offense pretty much all day I’m confident that the more complete breakdown would be similar to the breakdown of the Vikings game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah.... I noticed that too.

Love debating with you NY, but that was more than a bit contradictory ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Whining about the hits Big Ben takes and then saying this one was OK "because" or wasn't MMs fault is hypocritical.

But the way Alex Smith is crying about it makes me think he needs to start wearing tampons. It's not like someone intentionally chopped him in the face and he had to play the rest of the game with a broken nose. It's not like someone suplexed him headfirst into the ground. ( Bradshaw only missed one game - amazing )
    It's not like a team was given free rein to do whatever they wanted and try to a QB out of the game like the Saints did to Brett Favre.

You remember what Favre said about it? "Yeah they were trying to take me out. That's football. If they wanted me to go to court and testify against them they would be calling the wrong guy."

The hit was late, got a flag per the rules and Smith suffered no injury whatsoever. That should have been the end of it.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not whining. It's called kettle calling the pot black...

We've seen Ben and other so-called big QB's not get calls on obvious cheap shots, to be sitting here when Mitchell actually gets a penalty called on him for one that is marginal as to intent and talking about fines and suspensions is laughable!

19. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    "talking about fines and suspensions is laughable!"

I agree.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No no no you guys, rankings and stats are 2 different things.....lol :shrug:

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This point has been brought up more than once, but I'll make it again. Look at our opponents so far. We have played some of the worst offenses in the league. Kizer, Case Kennum, Glennon, Flacco, Bortles, and Alex Smith. That's the qB's we've faced. So we are #1 in pass defense. Given the QB's and WR's we've faced... We should be in the top 5. Not going to get overly excited about slowing down those QB's. Granted I will admit our pass defense looks better than last season... IMO because of the improved pass rush.

The run defense on the other hand is bad. Again consider the offenses we played. We knew the only shot those offenses had at scoring points was on ground, yet they still run the ball with success. The jags and Bears have 1 dimensional offenses and the ran on us like we were a HS team. We knew the run was coming and couldn't' stop it. 3 weeks in a row we could not stop the run. The chiefs game for now looks like the exception not the norm. The argument that if we take away the big runs we were good is ridiculous. If you eliminate the longest runs you need to eliminate the losses. If you cherry pick 1 or 2 games or cherry pick stats you are not getting an accurate picture. If you ever took a statistics class you'd understand this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Only stats and rankings that matter are W's vs L's... Keep improving in the W column and all is peachy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You clearly don't get the points I'm making at all.... but whatever. :facepalm:

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Mitchell got fined 57K, 48K was for a helmet to Helmet hit, the fine for hitting smith low was 9K, people jumped to conclusions that he was fined 48K for a low hit when that isnt what the league said....

• Like Like x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I get the points you are making, I'm saying your points are wrong. The logic you use to make your points is flawed. 2+2-1 does not equal 5 .