1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Next One? A Possible Look At The Future

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Sep 3, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello guys. AQL here again and today, I just wanted to pass along some news.

Given the fact that we very well may be seeing Ben's final year or two, why not take a possible look into the future?... Or more specifically read a twitter post.

Of course, for all we know, this could be due diligence given the fact that a "franchise quarterback" will be needed sooner rather than later. Within the same vein though, having Ben stick around for any of these prospects for a year will do wonders.

Why I chose Josh Allen is due to his eerily similar traits that Big Ben showcased; a big arm with some serious athletic ability and potential to match. However, his first game did not showcase any of this... much like Big Ben's game against Iowa a decade plus eariler. Same hype yet same letdown for their first big test.

Now, none of this means Josh Allen is the next Big Ben. However, some of the intangibles are there to forge his own name. Given the fact that Big Ben does not havr much longer, someone like Josb Allen is worth looking into.

Thoughts?

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I haven't seen too much of Wyoming game tape so tough to pass judgement. Seen some highlights which of course look good.

I originally wanted to hold off until 2019 before spending a 1st round pick on a QB.

However, with 2018 looking like a 2004 type of QB draft, might have to pull the trigger.

I wouldnt even be opposed to making a Chiefs style trade to move up into top 10 or 15 to get our guy.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Ive made a list of essentially 6 QBs to keep an eye on this year.

The one I'm keeping the closest eye on is Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma St.

Now I've been burnt on Okie St QBs in the past but Rudolph has the size (6'5 230), the arm strength, the quick feet and the poise.

He also has more game tape and great production.

I see similarities to Rudolph and Allen but I have to get the nod to Rudolph although as I mentioned I haven't seen any Wyoming games in full.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I've never watched the QB position much before with Ben here, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out this year. Josh Allen will be a good start.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Same here Turtle. Ben has performed well enough that I never gave it thought either.

However, as I said, who knows what is bound to happen with Ben in one to two years time? If there ever was a good oppurtunity to nab a quarterback early on, this would be it.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Darnold didn't look too sharp last night. He better prepare a little better if he wants to be the #1 pick. Then again, I wouldn't want to go to the Jets.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

The New York Jets now just may be what the Cleveland Browns have been in the last two decades.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Speight from Michigan is another guy I was interested in. He just threw a TD bomb vs Cincy. We'll see how he does the rest of the game and season.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll keep an eye on Speight but I really didn't like what I saw last week.

Watching Lamar Jackson today.

Not at the top of my list but has the size, arm and athleticism to be intriguing.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't get to see the Florida game... Trying to find some defensive prospects for Michigan but wow they are young, lost a lot of starters.

I'll see how Speight does today. I think Ed McCaffrey's son (Christian's bro) is at UM but he is a freshman.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    After watching the whole game, I was not impressed with Speight overall. He had some nice moments, but seemed to lock in on receivers and missed horribly on some throws.

I was more impressed with Cincy's QB Hayden Moore, he's a junior and should stay one more year to work on some things. But showed some nice poise and fairly mobile when out of the pocket. A couple pick 6s, but without seeing the replays I don't know if they were miscommunications or not, one looked like WR turned wrong way.

Lamar Jackson looked like he had a big day according to the highlights..

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    rosen UCLA would be my choice. legow from indiana may be a nice choice too, to keep an eye on. :cool:

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Lamar Jackson is certainly "the guy" in Louisville. He is the offense.

There's alot to like about him, but I do feel his accuracy needs some more work.

I think Darnold and Rosen will ultimately be top 5 picks.

Mason Rudolph had a nice game. He's kind of the guy I'm keeping an eye on because he could be more of a top 20 guy. He's really good but we wouldn't have to move up as far to get a great QB.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nope. Not at all.

Quite a bit of good quarterbacks in this draft. No need to worry if you are a team in dire need of one.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Josh Rosen looked like hot garbage today. Then again the UCLA Defense must be one of the worst in the country.

Reading alot of bad character concerns relating to Rosen. Alot of talk many if his teammates don't like him.

Has alot of good tools but hopefully he goes as early as projected to some dysfunctional team.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ferguson looked pretty decent today.

so did the memphis db's. that freshman is going to be very good.

i like mayfield too from oklahoma. i wish he was a couple of inches taller. the kid has fire.

who can play in the pro style offense though. to many of the read option runners playing qb in college. those are more of a crap shoot. :cool:

17. SteelCityThor

SteelCityThor Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Check out Stephen "Buckshot" Calvert from Liberty University, the dude has steal written all over him. Then again small school.[​IMG]

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Based on the college football ive watched so far this season, I'm not sure this is going to be quite the "season of the QB" that some are making it out to be.

Lamar Jackson looks every bit the great college player, dud pro like Vince Young, Tim Tebow, etc. His game requires the college spread attack.

Mayfield has a chance, but his offense is also very different from a pro style, and I have yet to be convinced that he can make all of the NFL throws.

Rudolph - see Mayfield above.

Despite his ints, Darnold is still the guy who looks the part in his playing style, poise and arm strength/accuracy. I'm still thinking he's a lock for the 1st overall pick.

Much, much more to watch this season though.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Had the exact same conversation with an ex-CSU player at the bar last night watching the CFB games.

this game was one we were watching
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-falk-matchup-draws-scouts-from-16-nfl-clubs

Steelers not listed, curiously enough

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn't watch that one. Looks like Darnold had a tough game statistically. 15-29, 164 yards 0 TDs, 1 int. Very interesting... I guess his current stats are allowing me to have a brief football fantasy where he falls in the draft low enough for us to trade up and get him. Maybe I'll change my tune when I break down some of his games after the season, but just based on watching games I still think he has future pro bowler written all over him.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I expect it to be a good quarterback class.

I do agree that the media is making this class a bit too overhyped in my opinion.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    guys to keep an eye on.

riley ferguson memphis/tenn.

kurt benkert virginia/east carolina

my sleeper thats having a good year chad kanoff princeton :cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    spoke about this kid from princeton and got a chance to watch him last night against harvard. wow, he's for real. nice arm. can gun it when he needs to or use touch when he has to. i hope the steelers are doing they're homework. this kid was 20 for 20 in the first half. mid way through the 3rd qtr. he had over 400 yds. passing. i'm going out on a limb here and saying he has some brains too to be at princeton. :smiley1::cool:

24. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Will Grier out of WVU is intriguing... Only a junior but could very well leave. He's very mature, even has a wife and kid. Great poise in the pocket, athletic, leads the nation in TD passes and percentage/yards on attempts longer than 20 yards (would be awesome to have that with AB and Bryant). He's also not being talked about too much among top drafted QBs for this upcoming draft, which means we wouldn't have to trade up for him like we would Darnold/Allen etc. 6'2" 205lbs. Comes from a football family, his dad is a coach and was a stud QB at ECU.

Who knows, he may stay for his senior year, but I would definitely keep an eye on him.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Darnold is confounding as all hell. I watched a fair amount of tonight's game vs. Notre Dame (going back and forth with the only slightly less exciting Penn State vs Michigan game) and Darnold can look like a future pro bowler one play and Jay Cutler the next. I realize the guy lost a lot of talent around him, and that his production is naturally affected, but does he have to be so frickin generous with the ball? I figured he would come around the season progressed, but he just keeps on fumbling and throwing picks. Yet he also often makes NFL-type of throws look easy. Confounding....