1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bengal game concerns me

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Steelers Depot had a good article today on the battles between Green and Haden. Apparently Haden has held Green’s QBs to something like a 77 passer rating and sub-50% completions on targets to Green when matched up. Before the season, Green apparently ranked Haden as his #2 toughest corner to play against after Peterson.

Green scares me, but Haden knows him well, and will probably have the benefit of help over the top on a lot of plays. Pressure on Dalton will be key.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Not concerned about the Bungles at all. I'm only concerned about the Pittsburgh Steelers. We just need to handle business and leave healthy. Nothing else is even a remote concern.

Andy Dalton is no Alex Smith. Alex Smith was far more dangerous on paper last week than Dalton is after playing the Browns and Bills. The chiefs have a FAR more potent rushing attack than Cincy.

Cincy has nothing for us if we show up awake and prepared...wait...in that case, 20-16 Bengals.

3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Not too worried. We have close games with the Bengals but seemed to know to beat them when it counts.

Gonna be a good one! I'll be returning form a quick trip to the mountains and attempting to stream it on my phone in the car -- the wife will have to drive Sunday!

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Haden played against green in college, haden shut him down in college and the pros by playing on his hip in man coverage, I would be tempted to start haden against green in man coverage where he has always played him with success....

SBNation:
    Green hasn't been able to make many intermediate catches against Haden. His other yardage mostly comes from hitch and comeback routes. In re-watching all of these catches, it's clear that Haden doesn't give up much separation to Green. His physical play at the line of scrimmage disrupts Green's routes and timing with Dalton. Haden is usually right on Green's hip every play and ready to make the immediate tackle if Green makes the reception.

5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm taking the Steelers and giving 5.5 points on my weekly bet. First time this year I've bet the team instead of the over under. The over under is 41 so maybe that deserves a second bet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good to know. Lets hope Butler doesnt over think things like Haley does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Take away those "Candyland" mental lapses in coverage against Kansas City and Artie has had a quality season.

I do expect him to be more ready this time against a more formidable foe in Green. To do so though, those mental lapses have to stop for him.

The moment he begins to think and compete simultaneously is the moment we know he is a special player. Even though the way players like Antonio Brown and Von Miller make both those qualities so simple, the fact ia that it is immense in ita difficulty.

Be that as it may, I do believe Artie can develop into a special player.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

T.J., Cameron, "GraveDigger", and Bud all have you covered on that front; not including the likes of Shazier and others either. :thumbs up:

Offensive tackle based combinations are only so good to mitigate weaknesses. A team with consistent pass rush capabilities like Pittsburgh should spell trouble.

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If Im not mistaken thats how Ike used to play Green, tight and man coverage. He usually kept Green in check with limited damage and good success.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Diamond pointed out how well Hayden has done against Green, I suspect he will get the duty of covering him.

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How can anyone watch during the Tomlin era and not be concerned about any game. Beat the best one week, lose to the worst the next. But always make it close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well that was before Haden had those injuries, they should put Burns on Green with help over the top. They need the pass rush to really get after Dalton, the Bengals O-line is weak so I expect the Steelers to get 4-5 sacks.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand.

One thing to note, Pittsburgh is 0-3 against teams coming off the bye in the last three games.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We own the bengals though. I feel ben tweaks something as he gets picked off lol

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The O-line needs another good game, the Bungles have a pretty good D-line.

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I hope Haley was watching how the Raiders won the game tonight. When we are at the goal line, seems we call harder to execute plays. Liked that QB roll out to left and throw low in the corner to receiver running to left pylon. All the receiver has to have is position and catch the knee high throw. High visibility for QB to see if open, pick highly unlikely.

17. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    But I was schooled on another thread about how his stats are great under Tomlin. Pick 6's? It just can't be.. I refuse to believe this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree Diamond. I was thinking the same thing. They might as well take Green out of the game by having Haden shadow him

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope the Steelers don't piss this game away. The division is there for the taking, but I fear the offense will fart around all day like it did vs. Bears and Jags. I hope this is not another egg-lay.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The last time AJ Green played in Pittsburgh, he had 2 catches for 38 yards.

• Like Like x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers need to take advantage of this game. Win it and they got a really firm grasp on the division, Raiders also did us a favor by dropping the Chiefs again. By the end of the week we be tied with the Chiefs and have the head to head advantage for home field. Not a bad place to be when approaching mid season . Patriots still hanging in their but I think teams aren't fearing them like before since they have lots of problems with their defense.

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope the Patriots end up losing at least 3 more games... one of them hopefully to the Steelers. :rolleyes:

Steelers need Patriots at 11-5 at the end to have any chance of playoff bye. If Patriots win 12 or more like they usually do, there is no hope for the Super Bowl.

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm really hoping the improved Buffalo Bills defense, and just doing enough on Offense, can defeat Brady.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I hear ya. But we don't play down to our opponents all season. It's usually a couple games that we have no business losing on paper that we sleep walk into and out of the stadium. I think we've got it out of our system, but I could be wrong.

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Dare to dream. Would be nice.

Yeah...uhhh...what?? We're in second place in the conference currently. A win this Sunday puts us in first. There's quite a few scenarios that give us a bye other than NE at 11-5.