1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Is there any chance that James Harrison gets enshrined into the Hall of Fame?
    He has had a weird career, was a backup his first five years, but then went on to being the most feared defensive player in the league for five years before injuries and age started to slow him down these last 5-6 years.
    He has a Defensive Player of the Year on his resume, with 2 super bowls, and probably one of the most iconic defensive plays in super bowl history against the Cardinals.
    People say if J J watt were to retire now he would make the Hall, JJ only has 4 years as the most feared defensive player compared to 5 for Harrison. Harrison also has more career sacks, and 2 rings as of now.
    Plus Harrison is defying father time in a way not many before him could of... Except Bruce Smith.
    Any Chance he gets enshrined?
    Thoughts?

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He has 5 pro bowls which is not HOF caliber and he is way down the list in sacks. I don't see it happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Does James zharrison get into the HOF? Only if he stands in line and buys an admission ticket like everyone else.
    The comparison with JJ Watt is humorous. JJ was NFL def player of the year 3 times, not once! Only he and Lwarence Taylor did that. Joe Greene, Reggie White, Mike Singletary and Bruce Smith were not voted best defensive player 3 times. Harrison and Watt are not comparable.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If it weren't so political to get enshrined he would be in no problem. He definitely has the credentials to have his Bust in Canton. Since he is envisioned as a player that bucked the system, sadly he will not make it, unfortunately. JMO.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How many rings does Watt have? How many biggest plays in SB history has he made? How many SB's has he played in? Yea. the comparison is laughable, I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not too certain on that one.

If he gets that third ring... it is possible. Still a bit iffy but more possible than without.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Rings ain't not got nuttin to do with it.

At least 52 of the approximately 267 players in the HOF never won a ring.

14 teams never won. Lots of their players got in.

22 Steelers from the 70s have 4 rings. 22 aren't getting in.

With the minor possibility of a QB, rings don't mean diddly.

It's what you do over the years.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Never stated it was in the bag for him if he does get that third one. :lolol:

All I am stating is that having another does at least make him slightly over the border than where he is now.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Is he and his story worthy of the halls walls... Absolutely. Unfortunately there are plenty of folks getting fanned and have been for decades that belong. It should be a 20 year wait especially in this day and age of idiots pushing the first ballot quals for current generation players. Get the trailblazers settled... And work you way up. Too many peeps getting lost in the shuffle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as we all know how awesome JH is, I just don't see him making the HOF. Like dobbler said, too many people getting overlooked or lost with the waits.

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With all of the concussions, no one could give a speech after 20 years

13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Doubtful.

As far as the J.J. comparison, Watt passes the smell test on paper. But the league changed the rules because of Harrison. His impact on the game was transcendent. The game also changed because of the 70's Steelers who are in the hall.

I would choose Harrison all day and twice on Sunday over an injury plagued Watt to be on my team AND in the hall.

But Watt is white and establishment. He's the kind of player that makes the league look good. So yeah, he gets voted in easily over Harrison. The hall is more style than substance.

(Side note: I think Watt is a very good person and a hell of a football player. He is charitable and giving and seems to be an all around good dude. My comments here are not to discredit him in any way)