1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest Needs For The 2018 NFL Draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Sep 18, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Outside of Quarterback, what other needs do you guys see that need attending to?

Inside Linebacker?

Cornerback?

Safety?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Safety. Free and Strong.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Free safety. Possibly a TE. Inside LB but like rounds 2-4 depending on who is there. A corner if Haden is a one year stop gap (which I don't rethink he is)

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Outside of Marcus Allen, Ronnie Harrison and.., dare I say his name, Jordan Whitehead, any other safeties you are looking out for?

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Fitzpatrick from Bama at FS.

Derwin James from Florida St at SS.

Both are underclassmen . Watts has a thin resume so far but he was so good as a freshman.

I dont see the overall wealth of safety talent that was present in the 2017 draft. Still early though.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Would love to nab either but given their resumes and media attention, barring injury, I do not think we will have a shot at either.

8. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably not if they both had great seasons. James is a Kam Chancellor clone and Fitzpatrick plays with great instincts and smarts.

I think both are top 15 picks. But I said the same things about Shazier and Peppers and they dropped.

My priority is QB but anyone interested in upgrading the S position should atleast keep an eye on James and Fitzpatrick.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Shazier's class was loaded and Peppers class was a trading bonanza. Either way though, both were within reach.

I hope that both scenarios play out for the 2018 draft class for us to nab at least one of them.

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Hooker this year too but that was injury related.

I think between my top 5 QBs and those 2 safeties, it would be devastating not to come away with any of them, even if we're picking at #32.

I am usually never a trade up guy, but I think 2018 will go against the grain.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No doubt. :drinks:

Better yet, we just may. Looking back at Josh Allen's stats against Power Five teams in addition to what Kevin Colbert looked at in Joshua Dobbs, I am not too sure that Josh Allen may be the guy.

Prototypical NFL ready arm but not in the accuracy department. In eleven FBS contests, only 53.3% completion rate. Yuck.

Arm strength can be trained in the NFL. Accuracy cannot unless there are extremes. Unless those extremes exist with Allen, I would pass.

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, I wouldn't even consider a 1st round QB if the completion pct isn't at 60%. In college, I prefer 65%+. Of course the system matters too, just not all 5 yards passes.

It's why Lamar Jackson worries me despite his huge upside. Allen too and to an extent Rose,,although his character could be his ultimate downfall.

I've got Darnold and Rudolph 1 and 2. Would doubt that changes over the course of the year. We will see though.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I watched most (flipping between Louisville-Clemson) of the Oregon-Wyoming game last week and Wyoming was just overwhelmed by Oregon. Allen was being harassed on a consistent basis. He had no support. Not giving him a get out of jail free card, but that may lead to some of the discrepancies. That was the only game I've seen though.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Safety , and he is right across the hallway at steelers training site Jordan Whitehead. Or Godwin Igwebuike

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think you and I talked about Igwebuike last year, but he didn't declare. I'll have to keep my eye on him this year.

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We did Turtle, he had a monster game against the Buckeyes.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    QB
    safety
    safety
    G/C
    T
    ILB
    NT
    DE
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Starting to like Luke Falk a lot more.

That game against USC was awesome. Cannot wait to see what he does next.

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought we all were omitting the obvious.I thought the original OP wanted another position.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming "the guy" cannot be nabbed at the quarterback position.

That is where I was getting at.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    falk looks good. system? :cool:

22. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I've missed over half of 2017/2018 Steeler football. So my understanding of our unit isn't the most up to date. But here's a round by round overview, and positional breakdown regarding the draft/state of the roster....

Round 1: QB, MLB, S, CB

Round 2: QB, MLB, S, CB,

Round 3: QB, MLB, S, CB, DE, DT/NT, TE, OL

Round 4: S, CB, DE, DT/NT, MLB, TE, OL

Round 5: S, CB, DE, DT/NT, MLB, TE, OL

Round 6, 7: S, DE/NT, MLB, OL, OLB, TE

UDFA: DE, DT/NT, OL, RB, WR, TE, OLB

QB: LETS GO #7 :clapping:(and I'm not talking about vintage Atlanta Falcons Mike Vick #7). That being said, we should probably make a very serious QB draft pick this year. I don't know who's available, but its draft one this year or next year...or god almighty pray for us Steelers. We've been asking who's next after #7 since 2013 (year of Landry Jones draft pick). And in 2006, some asked for #7's replacement right then, after a 23 INT season. Injury or retirement, we'll be lucky to have 1 more good season (after this season) from #7 (I'm asking for 2). Does anyone REALLY think Landry Jones can be our starting QB? What kind of potential does Dobbs really have? I'd like to see Dobbs wear Black&Gold for at least 1 more season before we decide he's not our guy...can't rush the decision...wouldn't it be great if our Offense actually consistently put up 30+ pts. Then maybe we could see Dobbs or Jones get some snaps late in blowout games, or late in the season...I'm sure Big Ben wouldn't mind clocking out of work a bit early on gameday. Easy times for #7 = more seasons with #7.

RB: How long will Le'veon Bell wear Black&Gold? Can James Conner replace Bell? And how soon? I'm not opposed to a pick in the 5th or later if there's the right opportunity available, and we've taken care of other needs.

WR: Brown. Bryant. JUJU. Rogers. DHB. Hunter. Hamilton?? Ayers?? How many times have you read that in the past 3 months? :facepalm: They've come up short so far. Let the season roll on baby :towel:. Reasons to draft a WR (1) to replace roster spot of aging DHB...does not need to be done via draft. (2) one or more WRs really sh%# the bed. I don't see WR as a priority at all. But, obviously we'll look to bring at least 2 of the new WR faces of the NFL to Pittsburgh to at least have a look at during camp (with legitimate interest, not just camp body)...that's just what ya do.

TE: I'm not convinced this is a high priority. Then again, how good is Jesse James really? Maybe its time for a big draft investment at TE. Blocking were average, we have the potential to be above average. Receiving threat is lacking. Just like having a fullback on the roster; every team needs a #1 dual threat TE (receiving, blocking). #2 TE Jesse James. #3 TE blocking... always plenty of UDFAs with potential.

O-Line: Don't know enough at the moment to make a worthwhile statement that hasn't already been said. I like the potential of: Hubbard, Finney, Hawkins. I will say that its never too early to start looking down the road. So maybe 1-2 mid to late draft picks.

DE: We don't need starters. I like Alualu for DE depth. But who's our next LDE after Heyward? I don't see the need to invest big in that answer via the 2018 draft. But D-Line depth is a necessity to reliable success. 2019 draft should see notable investment at DE. 2019 DE roster then becomes: Tuit, Heyward, Alualu, young buck.

DT/NT: Hargrave until his play says otherwise. But again; depth, youth. Add in a big interior linemen. Mid to late rounder. Plus UDFAs. At the moment, as a whole we have the necessary pieces to field a competitive D-Line in most formations/schemes.

MLB: I'm willing to draft high here. Someone to play beside Shazier. But, do we need to invest big in 2018? If so, how many snaps will we need him to play next season? That depends on Vince Williams' production, and Matakevich's growth. 2018 draft, or 2019 draft might see a big investment at MLB depending on how things pan out... add in 1-3 mid to late round picks, and the usual looks at UDFAs.

OLB: Is it really a priority? Lots of young talent in the organization. It's all about who produces. Watt, Dupree, Chickillo, Keion Adams? No need for a big investment in 2018 draft. Look for diamond in the rough. Rounds 6, 7, UDFAs. Although I'm a bit concerned about that group's ability to cover the pass.

CB: We're invested in Burns. He'll be starting on the outside this season and next, rain or shine. Joe Haden... please return to your once elite form and deliver us from CB hell :beg:. Burns, Haden, man coverage... SOUNDS amazing. Big Play Will Gay... so long old friend:hi:. Cameron Sutton... if he pulls another Senquez Golson, Doran Grant, or Curtis Brown, or by-God a Cortez Allen, or Ricardo Colclough act...I won't take another Steeler CB draft selection serious for at least 3 years. On the plus side, Mike Hilton looks promising. I like his potential in the slot. Does Mike Hilton remind anyone of our former #26 CB Deshea Townsend? Townsend played a coverage, blitz role in the slot during the 2000s. Any word on Coty Sensabaugh? We need a backup on the outside, and slot. 1-2 mid to late round picks, maybe a big investment early in the draft.

S: Davis, Mitchell, Wilcox. Could a combo of those 3 satisfy the FS, SS roles? If so, how long does Mitchell remain valuable? I'm not convinced FS/SS is a high priority. But, 10+ yard runs are the safety's job to cap....and sweet jesus I CAN NOT read about another team rushing over 120 yards on us :read::puking 5: I don't mind a 2nd round draft pick in 2018. Otherwise something mid to late...all depending on what we see from Davis, Mitchell, Wilcox.

23. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Will we sign Bell or pay him 15.5 million franchise next year? That would be nearly double what the highest paid back makes. If there is doubt, it may be time to trade him for a 1st rounder that will get you a top 10 pick to get a QB. Better than letting him dissipate into free-agency.

24. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    A coach:eek:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    defense defense defense. Safeties and LBs