1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dust has settled.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 9, 2017.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So I am ready to move on from that game. I look forward to see how we can bounce back.

Also read that Tomlin is open to the idea of using the split back. YES! finally. Bell and conner on the field together. Two different running styles for defenses to adjust each run.

It's time. It's time we shift to a power run O. We need gilbert back bad. We need Nix in packages. Ben, you just have to throw 15-20 times. Bring play action back. Honestly if he can't do it, put Landry... nah jk lol.

Run defense. This is priority on defense. Fix it and fix it now. We will get gashed in the air but forcing them to throw the ball will create opportunities for sacks, turnovers, dropped passes and make them 1 dimensional.

Run the ball, stop the run. It's time to go old school and see what happens.

What say you guys? Are we going to make a turnaround or just fart and die lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I can dig it been calling for split rb's for a few seasons now... Get creative and stay creative

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem with split backfield is they are never serious about it. The second back is always a decoy and everyone knows the pass is going to Bell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Can't hurt. Something's gotta change that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You summed up yesterdays game perfectly: Ben farted 5 times and the D died in response.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    just got to be hot and healthy in the end, while ben just needs an ounce of care in his body. if ben goes through the motions, morale falls like dominos. These next two games are telling. Even if we lose to KC, I want them to show heart. Get blown out not caring and yeah stick that fork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    my red zone offense would be Brown, Juju, James, Nix, Bell. Never take out the RB

Also would like to see vance get a couple more opportunities, non critical 3rds of course

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Split back is cool and all, but I'm not sure we need to incorporate things we haven't tried before in a game so far this year... We need to build on things we can do well. I'm not saying limiting the playbook, but I think we need high percentage efficiency.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes. Need to change Ben into a game manager, days of him putting this team on his shoulders are over.

He can still be an effective QB if he's willing to change his mindset.

Needs to play a lot better than he did yesterday though or it wont matter.

Memo to Haley, dont have him throw the ball 55 times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    on offense it was a mix of haley and ben. Game was close but it seemed he got a little antsy after the pics and started forcing more throws. He has done this before, kind of like he gets frustrated and flustered. Jags wanted this.

Need to be patient and just keep running it when only down 1 score. Anytime Ben throws that much it just gets nasty.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Sad thing is... I gotta bench Ben this coming up week in fantasy football. I'm in a 2 QB league and Cousins and Watson are putting up much better numbers. I never dreamed with the talent the Steelers have on offense, that I would be benching Ben in favor of a rookie QB on the Houston Texans. :facepalm:

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is 9th in yards

Ben is 25th in yards per attempt from qbs.

Ben is 21st in td's. Manning, blake bortles dalton, siemen have more.

Ben has the 2nd most int's right under Deshone kizer

Ben is 29th in qb rating not counting bradford and the minimal attempt ones.

Ben is 21st in completion percentage, not counting minimal attempt ones.

So as it stands right now he is not even top 10 play wise.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In my Yahoo league.. Ben got -0.45 points vs. Jags. I'm surprised it wasn't worse.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    At this point if nothing changes Tomlin and the rest of the staff should be on the first plane out of Pittsburgh. Whatever it is, whether it is locker room drama, terrible play calling, Ben aging or all of the above they need to get all on the same page and get it figured out. Otherwise I am in favor of going a completely different direction next season. Move on from Ben and Bell and start over with Connor and draft the next franchise QB even if it means trading up to get him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. JakeTN1

JakeTN1 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Different week, same result ala Bears! Do the Rooneys know their team is a laughing stock for the internet? Tomlin - call a moving company! This starts at the top!! He hasn't a clue! Sit Mitchell for a game, have some cojones!!
    Haley - go five wide at the three without anyone in the backfield, throw three times and kick a field goal! Someone get these jokers on a short leash! 32nd worst defense against the run; wait let's throw the ball even though we have the 17 million dollar man in the backfield!
    Where is Connor on the three, and please tell me Deebo is actually sick??
    This is getting ridiculous someone pull the reins hard!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Realistically, if you take away the TWO pick 6's and the garbage time Fournette 90 yard TD, this game is tied. Defense didn't appear to be hateful, but I didn't watch it. Offense needs to get rid of mistakes and score some points, however possible. With rain for some of the game, sometimes the offensive WR's and RB's have an advantage, but we didn't capitalize. Tough game coming up, I expect a close one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you see Rodney Harrison's evaluation of their problems last night? Says they need to go downfield more that the check downs are what's killing them. No what's killing them is bad execution of bad plays. Look if you want to go three wr, one TE ,and a single running back then use them correctly especially against a nickel defense. Put Bryant in the slot, with Juju outside and James and have them run to routes pulling the safety with them and slant Bryant to the outside where there isn't a lb alive that catches him. Let his speed work for the team. Stop telegraph ing the wr Screen.

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Ouch...sorry, man. That will ruin your fantasy score for sure

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    True to a degree. But Jax threw 1 pass in the second half, they were a one dimensional offense that didn't trust their QB to throw, and the Steelers D left them run a 13 play 8 minutes FG drive. The D wasn't hateful as you say, but they didn't get a key turnover or a timely stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks the Steelers are going to have to be creative to get a franchise QB, lets hope their all in.

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

The D IMO was giving it 110% to stop the run and for a while it worked. They were trying so hard to stop the run and it burned them out. The 2nd half exposed them. Our defense is not good. Our offense is tragic. this is one of the worst coached teams I've seen in pittsburgh in my life time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Our defense is very undisciplined. They go for the kill and get burnt constantly. They celebrate after giving up big plays. They commit penalties at the worst times. They can’t get a stop in 4th quarters although that’s partly the offense.
    Tomlin keeps chewing

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This, so much.

Refreshing to see a post like this amid the other reactions.

24. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I watch the Texans-KC game? What impressed me the most was watching that wr for the Texans, Hopkins. How many times did he go up and fight for the ball when it was thrown at him? Big, strong, pretty fast who goes after the ball. As opposed to our superstar, Mat Bryant aka Lima Sweed 2, who plays timid, only catches perfect passes, never fights for the ball and when he does catch it goes down right away. No wonder our offense sucks.