1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is our coaching bad?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 2, 2017.

1. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Actually leading the Browns to a playoff appearance is hall of fame worthy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's kinda my point. I've seen this movie too many times to think it ends any differently for the Steelers this year.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That Bears game though... for me a combination of both. Seldom does that happen.

Players for not executing well enough.

Coaches for not adjusting soon enough.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Short answer- No.

Long answer- Nope.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If anything the league this year has shown us anyone is beatable on any given Sunday. How many of you would have predicted the Jets to be 2-2 or the Pats 2-2 or the Rams leading the NFC west, etc. I was just as frustrated as anyone with the loss to the Bears but would take that loss any day of the week if it meant a division win on the road at Baltimore.

As a basketball coach sometimes no matter the gameplan the players just don't execute to their abilities or the other team has a tremendous day no matter your plan.

Are the coaches perfect, no but I will take this staff over almost any other staff in the league outside of maybe NE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Pretty much. There is not another coach in the NFL other than BB who has an argument for being better than Tomlin. Anyone who wants to claim that Tomlin is a bad coach has to somehow explain how a bad coach has the Steelers relevant every single year. I think we have had one game under Tomlin where we were already eliminated from the playoffs. One game in 10 years. Yeah, clearly he has no clue what he is doing. He might not be perfect but he is as good as we are going to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Munchak should have his guys stop getting all those dumb penalties, since you think he's the only good coach on staff :shrug:.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think MT is a good coach. He's not perfect, and there are definitely weaknesses that are somewhat aggravating (losses to subpar teams, clock management, etc.) but you can't argue with his results. He's never had a losing season, been to two superbowls and won one, and the took some pretty bad teams to 8-8 on back to back years a few years ago. You live with the warts when you get the results. When he starts losing, then we can revisit the HC job.

9. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Is our coaching bad? If Ben is his own coach, then yes.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If Hue Jackson is so great why is he 1-19 as a head coach???

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats with Cleveland. He was 8-8 with the Raiders.

His record with Cleveland needs to take into consideration the train wreck that organization has been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Many HCs are better coordinators than HCs. Wade Phillips is a prime example. Defensive genius like LeBeau, but didn't do much as a Head Coach. Hue Jackson is an above average OC, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I agree. Wanted him when we hired Haley.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I took that into consideration, but you cant overlook the fact they have had the top picks in the draft along with the most draft picks in the draft the last 3 years in a row he has the cream of the crop players from the draft, he's drawing up the Xs and Os so he should have a better team by now than the one he has...........

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im going to give him more than a season and 4 games to turn that dumpster fire around.

Question is how long does Cleveland give hm.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We'll see. They're heading the wrong direction right now. They played with a lot of heart in Week 1, and flashed future potential, but got stomped by the Bengals. They're going to need to play better and win a few games this year with that roster that's really not awful (on paper anyway).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Last year we went to the AFC championship game. Right now, there is only one team with a better record than us. And people are questioning if our coaches are bad.

Great google moogly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    dunno if it's Ben or Haley, but when it's 2 and short or 3rd and short, we don't try to power it on the ground. We try and gain 30 yards instead of moving the chains. Same goes for the redzone. The defense to me has been really nice this season. minus the meltdown in chicago. the pass defense is really good. when sutton gets back it will take another step up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Getting to the AFC title game isn't an accomplishment for this organization. Winning SB's are.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I have to disagree. They’ve made it to the AFCC three times in the past ten seasons. And missed the playoffs twice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Your perspective leads to an awful lot of disappointment. Success or accomplishments shouldn't only be measured by only winning Superbowls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelers89

Oct 1, 2016
    They made the SB in 2010 because the Jets did their dirty work for them. Lets be honest.

23. Steelers89

Oct 1, 2016
    So if they get blown out in the AFCCG again is that still deemed successful around these parts? Once BB retires in the offseason....well....things will be bleak.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So every year we don't win the Super Bowl we have bad coaches ( title of the OP)?

Balderdash.

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Of course not. But getting to the conference championship game is far from automatic (for any team that doesn’t cheat).