1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers finally sign a free agent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 7, 2012.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No big deal Ramon Foster signs his one year tender. Colbert needs to get Crotchery re-signed this offense could be special with a better o-line play with Todd Haley calling plays with Wallace, Brown, Sanders at receiver.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Cotchery wants to be the #4 receiver on any team. He wants to be a #2 type of guy. I doubt he signs with us unless nobody else is interested in him. What we need more than anything is a healthy Mendenhall. I know a lot of you hate him, but he's a playmaker and that is what you need in a RB these days. Yeah, Redman will move the pile, but he's not a playmaker. The game has changed, you need a playmaker at RB these days if you want a high powered offence (or a ridiculous QB in the case of GB). There's a reason NE got rid of BJGE, despite the fact that he always got 3-4 yards every carry, always fell forward and never fumbled.

Mendenhall will be a great RB under Haley, he just has to get healthy. If we re-sign him and he gets a full off season under Haley, we're going to see why he was drafted in the 1st round. The kid is a playmaker and has ridiculous ball catching skills and can make most LB'ers miss in the open field. He is not a power back and that's all we've used him for so far.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As for cotchery, I thought it was cotchery that said how he really wanted to be a steeler.My what a difference a year makes.I'm over this, if you want to be a steeler then sign on the dotted line and if you don't then it's been nice.This organization will excel with you or without you.We would love to have you along for the ride but if not ....cool.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I read that Cotchery and Dennis Dixon met with the Rams this week. To me, signing Cotchery is crucial given the fact that Hines has now retired and you never know what might happen with the Wallace situation. I look for the Steelers to get this done soon.

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say if Cotch signs somewhere else, we resign Hines. The dude still has it. At least he blocks better than DJ.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Always remember folks there is no loyality when it comes to players or management.
    Peezy, Faneca, Randle El. Its all about dead presidents.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cotchery would be nice, but signing him cheap may not be that easy. he's at a point in his career that, this will be his final contract most likely. i can't blame him for wanting to make some decent money on his way out. if he was a couple of years younger we could possibly sign him for 4-5 years. i think this is what he's looking for on his way out as much as i think he would like it here. :cool:

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Couldn't disagree more with ya. Being a "Playmaker" would mean that he's not dancing around behind the line of scrimmage dazed and confused and wondering where to run and that's exactly what he does on about 40% of his carries. Yea Mendy might rip off maybe 3 or 4 big runs over the course of an entire season but that's nothing compared to a guy who can consistently move the pile 3 to 4 yards per carry game in and game out. That translates in to keeping more drives alive and ultimately scoring more points. You talk about Mendy making people miss in the open field? First he needs to be able to get to the open field which means good vision, decision making and patients at the point of the attack and I don't see any of those things from him most of the time. He'll be a great "Playmaker" on DWTS one of these days, maybe sooner than later after this latest injury.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    To be fair, it also means having a offensive line who can open up holes, and a running scheme that thinks outside of off-tackles and dives.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: :shrug:

DirecTV, NFL Short Cuts, and a DVR are your friends.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cotchery isn't a #2 anymore, more like a #3. The fact is he can get more money from other teams, and more playing time. I don't see him resigning. If we need another receiver that bad let's just draft one.

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Laugh if you want but you'll need that DVR to go BACK IN TIME if you wanna see the best he had to offer ;)

13. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011

Exactly...they ALL want to stay a Steeler...while bidding for the fan sympathy...while money will talk....aka...Gay...whoever