1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

this season is ruined

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Sep 26, 2017.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Best case scenario is 11-5, IMO. I think it will be around 9-7.. which will be good enough to win the North. One home playoff game like last year and then on the road again. :rolleyes:

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So be it

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Red was a true power back and we had a zone blocking OL. When we went power blocking he ran very well. Who would you want in their prime to pick up 3 yards ? Redman or Bell? I would take Red he had the ability to punish a defender with power .

I am sure if you asked NFL defenders they would support my view on Red and his Power . 1 key play that supports that is him breaking 4 tackles against the Rats to help us win the game. How soon some forget.

When have we ever had another RB do that against the Rats ?

4. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think James Connor will eventually be that short down back. He runs completely different than Bell. But right now they are trying to get as much work in for Bell as possible to get him back into football shape. Disappointment the loss to the Bears happened but would rather be 3-1 with a loss to the Bears than the Ratbirds.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Goes to prove a lot don't really understand the overall game The Power runner forces LB'S and DB'S to fill the gap right now. An elusive type allows them time to evaluate the play. If the DL gets movement I can wait for the RB to decide where he is going. Meaning more zone blocking style. If a Team runs Power then as a gap filler I have no choice but to fill that hole right now.If me as a filler meets the RB in that hole with him at full tilt it will be very hard for me to keep him from powering over me if I hesitate . On the flip side if he is a cutter and bouncer I can wait longer and if I make him cut or bounce then it gives my support more time to flow to the ball.

Now on a 3rd. and 3 lets say this becomes all the more Important. If I am at LB and at 7 yards deep this effects all passing windows behind me . I don't have to force the hole immediately thus putting me in a lot of PA passing windows behind me .

The style of the RB coupled with the timing of the LB play greatly effects the ability to run a lot of certain plays . The bottom line is the faster I can make a Defender step up the wider that window is open behind them.

So yes I would want the Power PA game vs. the zone PA game. Because of that I would want my RB with the best chance to gain the 3 on his own after contact . Do you see what I see now ?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wish you could go into an NFL office and pitch Redman against Bell in his prime to gain 3 yards and see how quickly you get laughed out of the office. Pretty sure its not us that dont understand the game.

Dont have time to look at the stats but pretty sure Bell led the league with yards after contact.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bro... I love redman too! But come on man! I don't know what's up with Bell... Is it injuries, rust, no heart in a payday year? But seriously, and I can't stand Bell and what he's been acting like... The proof is in the footage. Always has been and always will and it wasn't even a debate Bells rookie season.

9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    what I can't stand, is the insistence on running Bell into the ground when you've got an all around back (as we had in Williams) in Connor and they won't even give the dude some snaps, or Bell a blow, or whatever you want to call it. History is not on Bells side in any example offered... Need to get the other kid involved because he will probably be leaned on in this seasons future. Bell was already out of practice with a personal issue today and I'm not down playing it, but the way they've ran him into the ground and refuse to alter their approach is maddening. You got a youngster, feed him some

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually most that wanted a Power game would probably prefer Red. Most of the Teams who had a bunch of run after the catch WR'S would choose Red. Most Teams with a aging QB would probably choose Red .Most Teams with a improved D would probably prefer Red.

Now if you ask the question of which RB had more talent ? Bell would win hands down . Does that make him the best fit to get 3 yards when needed In no way does it.

As I stated don't go to the Coaches,GM, or owners ,go to the players and ask who they would rather face on short yardage ? The answer will be Bell hands down , his style is much easier to defend. Now ask them about any true power RB ? The answer will still be Bell.Now who would they not want to defend ? A power RB over Bell which includes Red and the RB'S we currently have riding the pine .That answer would be everyone but Bell in most cases . Again ask the player's on the field not the above crap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell a greater overall RB? Check. Bell a better option in the passing game ? Check. Bell building a Power running game ? No. Bell creating better passing windows?No . Bell yards after contact ? No.

I never once said Red was better than Bell overall.What I did say is he would be better on short yardage. What I also said is his down hill style would make it easier to throw behind it.

Not really a post about Red , but a post about the style of the RB is very Important to play calling and the type of WR'S you have.

12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, and I agree that Bells patient style is not the best suited for short yardage power situations but I also realize that's a flaw in the playbook as for some asinine reason reason this team has left powerball instinct. I can say as far as yards after contact, I take Bell who for some reason or another has the ability and short burst break away ability to take short down distance to the second level or atleast used to be able to where as Red was a hammer and usually good enough to get the job done and then done himself but not do to effort, due to a lack of his what he really was.

We have 2 all around backs of different shiftiness and a hammer that actually got a carry last week where as Connor got none that I can remember and the same coaching staff that refuses to run a stable.

But to your throwing behind it part, hard to establish any PA when you run out of spread formations and don't actually utilize a running game which we've seen a lot of this year so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Watson on this team. Dude never had negative yards.

14. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016

Agreed. It's time to move on from the prima dona QB too. The guy is a bad QB. Yet fans just keep pretending he will turn it around.

15. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Bad QB? LMAO.
    He may not be top tier, or even in his prime anymore, but he is far from a bad QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    :shrug:

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Coulda woulda shoulda...... didn't. End of story time to move on.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This helps to explain the famous bidding frenzy for Redman's signature each time the Steelers cut him from the practice squad.

Redman was alright at his role. Same as Gary Russell or Chris Fu. And I get that you're saying a different kind of RB is needed for short yardage than Bell. You just need to make that point without the hyperbole.

20. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  22. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We've literally played three games this season. lol THREE!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome back Real Steel :lolol:

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    PFF's criteria for a short yardage situation is "3 yards or less from first down or touchdown."

So it will be mixed in - if they do break it down between goal-line and open field, then it's hidden behind a subscription wall alas.