1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Villanueva Speaks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So they were being unpatriotic all those years when they didn't take the field?

This is beyond ridiculous, they were standing and showing respect.

I'll ask you again, why do you care where they stand while showing respect?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You have your views and I have mine. Time to move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    You're pretty clearly ignoring something very important in what AV said. He said his teammates are NOT showing disrespect for the flag, they are NOT showing disrespect for the Military. But, you don't want to hear AV... because it takes away your anger. Because if you can't be outraged about the flag, then you'd actually have to HEAR the protesters.

The bottom line in this NFL/Protest story, is that a large swath of America is saying, "Hey, Black folks... shut the **** up".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Fixed it for you.

5. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, that fits in nicely with the overall postition of, "I salute your service, while disparaging the rights it created/protected".

America, you're doing it wrong.

6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    What I find most frustrating about this drama is that had it played out differently, we'd be talking about injustice in America. The entire country would be having a difficult and important conversation. And you know what, our Military heroes... would have been a direct part of that conversation. They could've still been a catalyst for protecting and advancing the rights of all Americans. And that would honor them far more than standing and singing a song every Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First thing you're a bully around here and it's not going to work on me. Quite honestly I'm surprised you're still allowed to post here with the number of times you've hurled insults.
    Anyway....

Just because AV feels a certain way does mean that's the standard or that I have to feel that way. You have no idea what military backround I may have. Or what has happened in my life to make me feel the way I do.

I'm not really that angry about it. ( heck I'm going to the game against the Bengals)I just believe it was wrong. My views. You don't have to like it or agree with it.

I'm not telling anyone to shut up. I live and work minutes from downtown St. Louis. I'm well aware of what's going on with the protests.

I'm not going to go on some political rant mostly cause I don't care, but also cause it's not allowed here.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What I find frustrating are post like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    No politics. Please respect the rules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I am not insulting anyone when the topic is something as serious as what's currently being discussed.
    If people get butthurt over Cover 2 insults... whatever.

If you had the choice, that on every sunday... for 1 minute.... Tens of millions of people would show respect and admiration for the military. Or that for that 1 minute... 10s of millions of people would unite in the advancement of freedom and justice for all. What do you choose to use that minute for?

I understand that you don't see this issue in those terms.

I believe it honors our military far more to use a moment that belongs to them, to advance the same causes they fought for.

I don't really care about the right/wrong aspect. The actions taken to turn the coversation in to a right/wrong conversation, do a disservice to all involved. AV recognizes that.

You're right... instead of telling them to shut up, you're simply telling them that their speaking is wrong. But that's semantics.

It's too bad this has been framed as political. It shouldn't be.

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I understand your frustration.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This guy can't be serious?
    You have no idea how I feel about issues in America right now.
    I'm not telling anybody to shut up, but it may be time for you to consider it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You're right, I only have your posts to inform me. Which is why I asked a question.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Knock it off. You're crossing the line.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Getting all excited about paid patriotism. Something the NFL only does because they get paid to. Something that is only 8 years old. Some of you got kids older than how long the NFL has been doing the anthem. Sheep. There's no history in having to be out for the anthem. There was no issue with the team staying in the tunnel one time. I think it's disrespectful to be out for the anthem and actually kneel and not be standing and attentive. I'm pretty sure the team agreed to stand where everybody but AV was. It's pointless and unfair to those who wanted to kneel and agreed to this to basically watch it from 1 foot off the field like AV tried to do. AV screwed up, knows it, and has admitted it. Nobody can say otherwise.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    OMG!!!!
    Do you just keep copying and pasting the same post?

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You keep ignoring facts so I have to

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What is it you need to move on to some new material?

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    When you get out of the thread because you have been proven wrong. There's nothing more you need to add to the subject.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who is disputing any of that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think you're heavily editorializing events.

1. Prior to '09, did the NFL not play the anthem at all pregame? Or was it played but teams were in their locker rooms until afterward? You seem to strongly imply the former.

2. Villanueva didn't go renegade and do whatever he wanted. He told his team captains the compromise he wanted, they readily agreed, and guy's just got separated as people and stuff were being brought off the field. I'm not the only person wondering how you're getting anything otherwise from the players' accounts.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The whole thing backfired because AV couldn't stay with the team. How do you not see that?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's not what happened. They called him up to be with the captains. I'm not buying the flag story. I think where the team was is where they agreed to be. It's pointless to be 1 foot off the field and be able to see the ceremony for those who wanted to kneel and agreed to this. It was selfish on AV's part.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't buy for one second that they would send out one player, especially AV, to be out there by himself. That's ludicrous. and I don't believe AV just decided to renegade on what was agreed upon, doesn't fit his character.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think him going renegade is more likely then this flag story. He even started to say in his interview I was getting all these text and it was hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.