1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

all 3 phases failed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 25, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    hate to say this but when we lose to bad team, it seems like all 3 phases of our game failed (offense, defense, and special teams). it's just hard to imagine all 3 phases failing. I could see 1 or 2 of the phases failing, but all 3? it is happening too many times and this squarely falls on coaching.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This has been a common theme going back 5 years. The lack of basic fundamentals, preparedness, attention to detail and discipline for road games against teams the Steelers should beat. And it all starts from the top... Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I would have liked to have seen in the 2nd half 100% effort in stopping the run. Rush 6 guys and play man. It wasn't Brady back there. Glennon only had like 60 yards at the half. Force him to throw it he would have made more mistakes.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think a huge part of it is to many self centered types on one Team . This Team has to much talent and never lives up to it . Less star Power and more Team power is needed . Also we need a QB who is a student of the game and will make the right throws to the open guys no matter the name .

This season is going to be a very bumpy ride and the end result will more than likely be a bounce out of the playoffs in a ugly fashion . People say that yardage doesn't count.Of course it does it proves you can move the ball more often than not when on O .And it proves you let other Teams move the ball more often than not .So when a game comes down to the end it favors the other Team and not your Team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Exactly. I've been saying this for a while now. Give me a Hines Ward and a Willie Parker any day, over an Antonio Brown or a Le'Veon Bell. Steelers have become the Cowboys of the '00s.

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The number one culprit was special teams. Two HUGE failures that cost points in a game that went OT preventing us winning ugly in regulation.

The least culpable was the defense. The Bears only scored 17 points in regulation and when you factor in the turnovers, they were not responsible for even that modest amount.

The offense was lame. They could have bailed us out of the special teams failures, but they did not.

7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree to a point, but it's very disturbing how the front 7 was gashed by the Bears RBs. The front 7 was supposed to be the strength of the Steelers defense. Ravens will copy what Bears did yesterday. I hope the Steelers can fix this, or the remaining 13 games will be painful to watch.

8. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It was a weird game, maybe one of the worst games I've seen the Steelers play in years. The Bears were totally one-dimensional. Glennon was awful...do the Bears even have wide receivers? I kept waiting for the D to crowd the line to stop the run, and make Glennon beat them, but it never happened. The Bears DB's actually made some good plays, especially the showboating guy who botched the FG return. The Steelers offensive game plan was drawn up by Schottenheimer...keep the game close and hope to win on a FG late. I'd say it was an outlier, but we've all seen games like this over the years. It comes down to bad coaching and poor game planning.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Shoot, I could probably name 3 more phases to add to those. That game was an embarrassment to the extremes.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers can still salvage the season, but I think they will go 2-2 before they start stacking wins... best case scenario. I don't see the Ravens losing on Sunday in their own house, after the beating they took in London. Ravens will be an angry team... more angry than the Steelers, IMO.

11. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    This team has 3 consistencies, 1- AB, 2- Road losses, 3- losses to sub .500 teams.

It would take a miracle to go 8-8 with the way they are playing now. I hope I'm wrong.

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're right on that Ward - especially the 4th Phase - Intangibles - Steelers absolutely sucked yesterday on Intangibles. They really need to bone up on this area this week in practice :frustrated: