1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop with the political talk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Unfortunately right now the pre game stuff is what everyone wants to discuss right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That's the worst part of it to me, when the coaches and players are only getting asked about this crap and not about them doing their jobs.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here? No, those are exactly types of debates that are not allowed here, regardless of current events.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I appreciate your intent, and I know the boards can get ugly but these are no longer just current events outside the game. They've become as much a part of the game now as the impact of Bells holdout or any other off the field issue. This is our new reality, sports and politics intertwined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm not going to make any more political comments in this "Steelers" forum. :smiley1:

I agree with those on both sides of the argument who say football should be separate from politics.

• Like Like x 3
  6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's funny.
    I instantly went here thinking this would be my place to get info about this topic and then chat with everyone pro or con about the situation.

It's the premier place to do it. but with everything being on lockdown I've had to go to other places to get info and talk and that stinks lol.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont want to talk about it :shrug:

What happened in the tunnel is of little concern to me. My bigger concern is what led them to take that stance but, Im following the rules and wont discuss that here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Come on, you guys really have day jobs? LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been getting questions since yesterday afternoon about how I feel about this. Much as Blast said above this doesn't matter to my life all that much. I have real problems that need dealing with and what happens in a football game pales in comparison to my real life. Moving on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I feel almost the same as you. I didn't enjoy the game yesterday, and that was before it even started. Not quite sure how to feel about the whole situation. Kinda gonna play the wait and see game. I hope we can get this all worked out and get back to just talking about football.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Everyone here knows the rules and agreed to them when signing up. If you have to talk about it feel free to do so, just do it somewhere else.

12. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

Same here. It was a weird feeling trying to cheer for my team that I was just disgusted over. Kinda like watching Timmons puke on the field.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I'm happy cause I don't watch pregame BS or the news. Football is great for me :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    TTF's house doesn't stay spotless by accident. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I understand you all have day jobs and I don't expect you guys to be sitting here reading every thread. All I am asking is before the hammer comes down you Mods take into consideration the fact that our Steelers made a decision that is very worthy of talking about. Now how far that goes is up to you guys I guess and us a reasonable fans should make it about our team and not about our President.

How can we discuss this without politics behind it not sure but that was my point of my original post.....the Steelers brought that onto the field(or off the field I guess) now making it football related. At least in my eyes and that is where I want to go with it, I want to find out more why the Steelers decided to do this and usually there is some great info here on why things happen. I know why they did it I am talking the inside stuff, I am talking about what players are saying stuff like that.

I get it some fans can post a decent conversation on this and a lot can't and that makes it bad for the Mods and the people who want to have good conversation without being fools. I feel sorry for you right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I used to moderate a sports board with over 1000 active posters. I can tell you from hard, painful experience:

NO political discussion can be had without at least some people taking it over the line. And then, of course, some who disagree simply must respond. And down the rabbit hole we go. (Actually, its more like the sewage pipe Andy Dufresne crawled through ... if it had no open end.)

Further, hard feelings develop in those political "conversations", and that spleen spills over into interactions in other forums on the site. We had a separate Politics & Religion forum. It was a pit of bickering, insults and essentially no open dialogue. The scrapes and bruises people got in there manifested in other discussions elsewhere on the site. To the point of timeouts and bannings.

Just because it sports related doesn't mean it's not also political. Political discussion isn't allowed here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I've been a mod on a couple of forums and I know full well that it can often be a hard and thankless job.

I'll respect the rules and do my best not to go over the line. If I do seem out of line all that's needed is a word from the team and I'll make the necessary corrections.

In any case, thanks guys. This is a difficult situation and I think you're handling it pretty well. Political discussion can destroy a member base if not kept in check and seeing how this is a sports forum it's sad it needs discussed at all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Imagine if the network TVs had treated this from the beginning like someone running on the field during a game (for whatever their reason to do so) and diverted their cameras and the narrative to another topic...... like say, perhaps sports. But now, not unlike the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, the escape to sports is no longer an escape for anyone. Ironically this current matter started in August 2016 during a theoretically, much different political environment.

Sure would be great to tune into a sporting event or any other TV show/movie and not be force fed the social issue du jour. On that note, how refreshing that TTF and the Mods want to keep this MB a pure sports escape (with a few other mild Watercooler topics). Hats off to them. Crickets from this corner from now on (on non-sports or untamed WC topics).

• Like Like x 2
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The sad truth Is that none of this matters. With all due respect to those who are really upset I'm sorry but before last year the biggest thought anyone gave the national anthem was who was singing it at the Superbowl. We didon't care about what was happening in the stadiums around the country or the locker rooms. It will be forgotten long before we ever reach a consensus about it. It will be a documentary on the NFL network before long and a line blip on our cultural awareness. Don't believe me? The first openly gay football player how did that story end? This to shall pass

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So true.

:lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    It ain't rocket science to do the right thing. These guys are creating drama because they all want attention. All the Steelers need to do from this point on is to keep doing what they have always been doing. And that is standing during the national anthem...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They did.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The following are facts, not my opinions...

FWIW, the Steelers did what they did because they didn't want protest/anthem-related attention. Ironically, Villanueva -- the guy receiving the most attention -- is the guy who most strongly wants no attention.

The players wanted to avoid the politically-charged spotlight, so they stayed in the tunnel. AV freely agreed to that. He wanted to be able to see the flag, told Ben & Cam that, they immediately said it was fine; AV walked slightly ahead to scout where he could stand to see the flag and still be with the team; and -- unfortunately and unintentionally -- he got separated from the rest of the players by 10-20 feet.

All the relevant players appears to regret how things looked and how those optics could be (are being) twisted to serve inaccurate narratives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    How did the NFL ruin this? The President (the "leader" of the free world) inflamed the issue. Interestingly, just today, Jeff Sessions made a case that freedom of speech is under attack and that we must protect all forms of speech, even when that speech is distasteful...and yet he also complained about NFL players demonstrating the very freedom of speech he said needed to be protected: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-sessions-campus-speech-20170925-story.html

It's looney.

What's further looney is the extreme distaste that many fans are showing over this. For some reason, NFL fans seem perfectly fine with...drug abuse, PEDs, sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse, weapons charges, noncompliance with child support, shootings, DUIs, and on and on. None of that has stopped you from buying tickets, TV packages, and gear. But for the love of gawd, if they kneel during the national anthem, that (of all things) is where you draw the line???? :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nothing worse than some schmuck telling me how I'm supposed to feel.
    If you don't want to be mad about it then don't. That's your choice and I'm fine with that.

Quite a few people are mad about it. It's only been like 58 hours since it happened. Let people be mad if they want to be. What's it to you?

Don't lump me in with most fans either.

Enough with the Looney comments too.

Also go read Steelcops post and tell him he's Looney.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.