1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Game Loss Complaint Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 24, 2017.

1. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The team who atleast stood in solidarity won while the visiting team hide in the locker room. Team who stood together won that is all!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    It's too bad they didn't play in Pittsburgh today, would have liked to see them booed running onto the field for the first time ever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was so totally strange was that they decided they could work that same grouping all game long and have success with it. I mean the Bears front seven swarmed on obvious running down and like the Browns in week 1 clogged things up through the middle so there was no room for guys to work. They didn't try any power run formations, didn't try to disguise what they were doing or even get guys moving in attempt to confuse the defense. It was as if they were playing a vanilla offense.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    In the history of the Steelers I doubt that would be the first time ever.

5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Looks like the Steelers and other teams that did so broke NFL rules by staying in the tunnel:

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states:

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.” ........

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Been thinking about my post loss complaints for a few hours....

Offense: No rhythm. Ben is inconsistent, and inaccurate at times. Doesn't seem to be on the same page as his receivers. He throws into double coverage a lot. Is it him or them? Protection issues - this comes in many forms. Are we keeping somebody in to help block? Do we have a quick outlet if pressure gets there? Are we using timing routes or just playing sandlot games? Inconsistent running game. 2.5 yards on first down. Long run for the day was 13 yards. Bell - all preseason fans were split on whether him staying away mattered or not. I think the jury has retired on this one, he is not up to speed and in my humble opinion, he would be if he was in Latrobe in July.

Defense: Can't get off the field on 3rd down. Missed tackles. If you were gassed at the end, don't just blame the offense, look at the times you gave up 3rd and long or missed a 3 yard tackle and gave up 7 or 12 yards. Keith Butler - their passing game did not hurt us. Yet in overtime, they ran right over us. Were you so worried about being Tebowed that you got steam rolled?

Special teams get a F. Fumble on the first punt return. Blocked field goal that resulted in 3 points. Giving up a long return at the end of the game, when it mattered the most.

Turn overs - the team did score points on turnovers, so there's that, which is nice.

Coaching - complete failure. From preparation (did they not know it was going to be hot? What are they doing to condition players?), play calling, not using a time out after successive bad runs in overtime to coach up their players. A field goal wouldn't have ended the game. They were playing as though they lost already.

There were only two bright spots in my opinion. One is Antonio Brown. I wish he was targeted more than he was. I remember someone asking for a bubble screen in the game day thread. The second involves a fellow veteran carrying out his oath.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hope it gets enforced. It won't though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While I wish this were true, it's wrong. There is nothing requiring the players to stand or even be on the sideline.

9. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's false.

10. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    lol, it makes sense that the world of fake news would descend on this issue...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh. Thanks.

12. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    That is one we can hang on the coaches. Inexplicable.

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    My complaints are mostly against the offense and special teams.

The defense played good enough in regulation even though it is a bit disturbing how there were problems stopping the run, still just 17 points, and when you factor in turnovers, they were not responsible for even that modest amount.

The offense, a very poor showing overall. Ben inaccurate much of the time. Bell was horrible. Only AB brings it every game. Oh Bryant, if you only caught that TD pass to start the game off right, we would have won.

Special teams had two gigantic failures. The blocked FG sealed our fate. Instead of 3 for us, 3 for them. A 6 point swing.

This was such an unnecessary loss. So many ways to win, so few to lose. Just one key catch or the FG does not get blocked, we win.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Byler

Andrew Byler New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Actually, I think it is true. Its in the "NFL Policy Manual for Member Clubs, Volume II, Game Operations" not the Rule Book. The NFL is not making this manual available at this time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    It takes courage to do the right thing, nearly all of them were cowards today. Next game "all" the Steelers players need to not disrespect the flag. Instead of making a spectacle, play the damn game, keep the silly politics in Washington DC...

• Like Like x 2
  16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I never said Villanueva was NOT being selfish. I do think doing anything to bring attention to yourself and have the media lining up at your locker after the game is selfish. Having the media lining up at your teammates locker all week asking them what they thought about what you did....yeah selfish and distracting....Having to have your coach answer questions about YOU that did not happen on the field....selfish and distracting.

I never said ANYTHING different......BUT with all that said. I loved seeing Villanueva standing out there... I said he is my hero. Military man....strong in his convictions....hell long shot to even be in the NFL...Was a DE that gained like 90 lbs to play OT...and has done it well.....For God's sake he is even teaching JuJu how to drive. That dude is a rock star.

The MEDIA wants you to think the Steelers were PROTESTING by not being out there. It simply not true...they were attempting to remove themselves from it all together. Not having to answer questions about the handful of guys who probably wanted to take a knee....or whatever they felt was right...would have been nice to see or hear anything about this angle...and not the man stands alone one that the networks wanted you to see.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I want to frame that last part and this picture and hang it over the forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think ESPN is wrong, but I am basing that off Coach Tomlins wording.

HACK

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whatever they were trying to do didn't work. Totally backfired on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I spent the whole day outside since it was sunny and 86 which in unreal this time of year in NY. With that said I shut my phone off and DVR'd the game. I golfed in a tourney and my buddy's knew not to tell me what was up. The only thing I knew was the Steelers didn't come out for the anthem and I was mad as hell but wanted to wait to hear why. So I didn't watch the game until 6:30 and wow what a joke, I didn't read everyone's complaints so if I repete sorry.

Ben.......the end is near and he knows it!

Chick and Dupree.......was a thread started about who should be the starter, well nobody stood out like a starter. Dupree looks for the big hit and won't wrap. Chick is great at getting there but his tackling stinks!

Run Defense........do we have any????? we are bad, have been bad vs the run and I thought we were getting better......I was wrong!!!!

Bryant.........Needs to pull in something more that a wide open pass!

Coaching........Not just Tomlin, ALL OF THEM!!!! Get a grip you have talent up and down this roster.

NFL.......YOU NEED TO KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MY SUNDAY!!!!!!! That is all I will say as I am so pissed at our team right now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Thinking more about this, it isn't surprising that they ended up losing this game. I think the Bears might have lost it if the Steelers got the coin toss. It was 90° out there, and the teams were clearly gassed towards the end of the game. I think the defense just didn't have anything left in the tank.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep! It's called karma for one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    From reading that article, I think ESPN is threading together some quotes to make it fit the narrative it had already decided upon.

• Agree Agree x 2