1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin-3 year extension? Really??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 24, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This loss today was yet another pathetic example of playing down to inferior teams and trusting a semi retired QB to throw inaccurate deep passes from the get go.

Don't even need to talk about run defense. It was non existent. Tackling was atrocious.

Garbage all around.

The only positive thing I saw today was AV STANDING for the AMERICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

Blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    At least Tomlin had the guts to stand on the sidelines during the Anthem. More than I can say for 52 of the players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Sadly the Steelers organization has become enamored by their own mystique. They are praised for having very little coaching turnover as if that's the only reason for their success. In reality it's a self fulfilling prophecy. If you hold onto a coach forever eventually he will have some winning seasons and potential championships but who knows, maybe you could have more if you alter the course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Intersting, I didn't see that as my feed was delayed. I thought he said they were all staying in doors meaning himself included. Today had a rippling effect throughout steeler nation and the whole NFL with this phony bs stand together crap.

I thought Mike was on to something when he said we won't participate... I really thought he was trying to cover for any potential players actions being a backlash in some news story. Well, that backfired in my mind.
    What pissed me off, is when AV broke protocol and did what he felt was right... Nobody joined him. So much for not creating division and being a band of brothers as they tend to say they are.

I don't give a rip about what the president said and wished he wouldn't have, although a good deal of us say these idiots ought to be canned numerous times throughout each season and every off season. And these same players feel the same once they're out of the mix according to former players opinions.

Today sucked... But incrementally we've seen this storied franchise trend like the others in their support for stupidity, greed, excused actions, etc...

I hope they turn things around as I was born into rooting for this team and have done so for 41 years.
    I really think it was telling that nobody rallied around AV and to me that's a good definition of what's going on in the clubhouse.

Did the planned sit out have an effect on today's game? It didn't effect high throws, no run stoppage on D, errant ref play and all the rest, but it affected focus and there was a glaring lack of that today.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I am an avid pirate fan and they extended their Coach and GM for 4 years so Tomlin getting 3 years doesn't phase me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin and some of the coaches stood on the sideline during the anthem.
    I look at AV different. At least he didn't compromise his values or disrespect his fans by going along with this nonsense.
    I have no problem with someone making a stand for something they believe in. Just don't agree with them doing at work.
    The Steelers are paying you to play football.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to divert the narrative but the team stood shoulder to shoulder in the entryway as AV stood outside for the anthem.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Should have been standing on the sideline.
    I pour my heart and soul into this team and I'm pretty upset that they're getting involved in this nonsense. If want political opinions I'll tune into CNN.
    I get that they felt it would be better to all just hide in the tunnel than having some stand and some kneel, but that's really what they did is hide. And that was almost worse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What made it worse was you had a teammate that had to stand by himself because of this silliness. I hate it so bad for him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I do as well, the man made some serious bones today and I'm sad "his brothers" didn't rally around him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Gotta love how some people overreact after every loss.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Disgraceful display all around today. Sadly, in America, Sport is a religion, the NFL the king of them all. Nothing will change until the real kneeling begins, that being when fans, like myself, turn from the game and kneel out. If we could manage even one week the effect would be huge but it won't happen. We're addicted and I'm guilty myself and these millionaires know it. How do you think they became millionaires?

Tomlin's extension or not I don't like how the team exhibited itself today and that includes from Art on down. Period.

Sad day for me, very sad day.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Back on topic, I didn't understand the Tomlin extension. I've never been a fire Tomlin guy, but I'm by no means a fan of him. This team playing down to their opponents has become painfully clear. I'm not even sure how you can deny it at this point. Like it or not, it appears we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future, especially given that the Steelers don't fire coaches.

Ben wasn't THAT bad today. He wasn't great by any means, but he wasn't that bad. I really feel like the offense is still out of sync and it all stems from the Bell holdout that was a major distraction.

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'm more disappointed than I am overreacting.

This team came out completely flat against a team that we should have beat soundly with the amount of talent we have. This has been a staple of Tomlin's entire career as a HC.
    You may say I have lost complete faith in Mike and the way he runs this team and you'd probably be correct.

Last year we wasted a SB caliber team cause he decided that giving Tom Brady all day to throw the ball was a valid approach to beating the Patriots. Extending him after that debacle is an idiotic move which sends no message.

Settle for mediocrity all you want but right now I feel a punch to the gut with how this team played today, or lack there of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who cares? The team made a decision, they lost a game and people are worried about the anthem :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    SteelerGlenn, truer words have never been spoken. To me Tomlin just lost any respect I had for him, his post game response was all political and not needed from a head coach. My hero today was Big Al, the rest got what they deserved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    In a way, Tomlin was trying to protect his players.

Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job because of his protest. He's been blackballed. Period.

By keeping the team in the lockerroom Tomlin is trying to protect those of his guys who want to protest, from the repercussions of that protest.

Ultimately, it would've been a stronger message to all come out on the field, and have the guys kneeling holding hands with the guys standing.

AV had every right to do what he did... but now they've got a distraction on their hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That's worked so well for the Chargers!!

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This action is how to get a team from breaking apart as a team.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm not saying it's a guarantee by any means but some times you gotta take a chance if things aren't working out.

23. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Dude I agree with what coach tried to do. I defended it to my peeps this morn when I read it. Where it went to **** was when he actually took the field like he should have and everyone else hid in a tunnel behind AV.

I'm sure Kap not having a job is some to do with that, but wouldn't that be hypocritical of some owners and teams display today. The guy isn't good, he was a flash in the pan a la RG3 and now mr. Luck along with a laundry list of others.Kaps parade is nothing more than an attempt to stay relevant and there's enough dummies to champion his bs.

There is no need for this, just like there was no need for an errant tweet that simply stated what majority of fans already felt and discuss every season and off season. Morality is gone in sports with owners trying to cover up bull****.

AV wasn't a distraction or a me me guy today, the other 52 lost their focus and playing politics. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Shows how ingrained ones politics are with how they view reality.

There's no world where one guy doing something that they other 52 decided specifically not to do... is not a distraction. But, we now live in a world where people distort reality to fit their beliefs/needs

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Considering they had a team meeting and all agreed that the best way to handle it was as they did, Im guessing it won't be an issue at all.

• Like Like x 1