1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF!!!!!!! Steelers to sit out national anthem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    How? This use to happen back in the day where the teams stayed in the locker room. They said they will be doing their own thing in the locker room today. So if I show up late to the game and miss the anthem, I'm disrespectful? This is a lot better then half the team kneeling. Then you got pictures of AB, Bell, and half the team kneeling during the anthem and showing blatant disrespect. Those pictures will never go away. Then you got players like Ben and Villanueva who wouldn't knee and would catch backlash from media and possibly teammates.

Once again Steelers do things the right way. This is the best case scenario.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm hoping this is fake news, but if not looks like I don't have to worry about staying up on European time to watch the game. Go Steelers, beat those Bears, I'll be looking forward to reading a great box score in the morning.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You know what i hate more than anything. I coach some 7 8 9 yr old kids who look up to these players. It is a conversation kids should not have to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlins comments on

• Like Like x 5
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you want to protest, protest. If you don't want to protest don't protest. You allegedly expressing your deep heart felt feeling and making them public. Doing what they are doing is the worst of all outcomes. They all can pretend to show they support those who kneel, but can hide in anonymity. They is why it is chicken scratch. Do you believe in your beliefs or not?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This is how things used to be done. And in current times, probably should be done again. Staying inside doesn't allow millionaire prima donnas to make a spectacle of themselves for good or bad.

You don't think AV had a say in this? Really???

This isn't about the military. Or the flag. Or Grandma's apple pie. It's not about patriotism or pride in one's country. It opting out of a protest to a president who wants to call players out for exercising their free speech. Note that the Steelers had no dog in this issue since the beginning... until now.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    By Tomlins statement it was his decision to hold them out. He doesn’t want any part in it. They aren’t doing it to be disrespectful. I honestly think Tomlin is doing so nobody can publicly protest. He said last year no Steelers would be kneeling during the national anthem and his is his way of making sure that doesn’t happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Does the NFL not have a code of conduct policy? If these guys worked for a multi-billion dollar international corporation like, say, GE or Caterpillar, they absolutely would not be allowed to put their personal opinions out in public. Not a chance in hell on company time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So proud of the Steelers today!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a good way of looking at it.

What the Steelers are doing is a reaction to a reaction to a reaction.

That's worth bearing in mind. There's a context to this action.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    what a joke. they'll probably get booed in pittsburgh if they do it there. still better than having images of the guys all kneeling i guess, but whatever, same message. congrats nfl.. you really didn't think this whole kaepernick powder keg would eventually explode? you treat that cop hating douchebag like a martyr, and this is what you get. trump's always had a thing against the nfl overall, and he played the league like a flute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Hate to agree with that...person...but, I believe he's probably right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    When the multi-billion dollar company just got criticized by the biggest dumbass president this country has ever elected into office, aided by Russian operatives, yes.

• Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Thread closed. I don't know how else to say keep politics out of it. It's like some of you are new here.

• Like Like x 4
  16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I wish I could like, agree, and winner this post.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They do. But it says nothing about conduct during the anthem - nor does it state teams even have to be on the field for it.

Maybe that changes in the off-season. we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.