1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Future #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Harrison played till 35, TO played for 15 years, and a smaller receiver comparable to AB just retired Steve Smith SR age 37 played for 15 years and numerous others played into their mid 30s, AB will still be going strong barring injury into his mid to late 30s.....

2. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    A real good Center could be there..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    AB is surgeon free right... he should have some extra years in him..

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Or long snapper.

I think AB leaves after his current contract is up. Ben will be gone, and who knows what kind of arm/mind will be in the huddle after that. It'll be a test of AB's loyalty to the Steelers v. his desire to play in the postseason, put up big numbers to solidify his stature as one of the game's greats, and (oh, yeah) make some money.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    AB becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2022 at age 34. A lot will happen between now and then to influence his decision - and the team's decision (which very well may come before 2022 given his future cap charges).

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think money will play a huge roll in AB's next contract. He just cashed in on his current deal and has brand (facebook live) all his endorsements plus any Dancing with the Stars like opportunities. Many doors are open to AB.

I believe he will want to retire a Steeler.

7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Or it's a testament to how good the D and/or rushing game was in those days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    different rules for those defenses. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Stifling defense and game control rushing attack. Those QB's didnt carry the team.

10. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    True, you could see drop off in each one of those players you listed at least 2 years before they retired. AB i think has the skills to translate into a great slot receiver when his aging starts to take effect, but a good slot receiver to me is not a true #1 WR. When AB moves to Slot someone will need to step up and be the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our future #1 is probably Eli. Ben will retire . Brown will move on.Bryant will move on . We will have a better Defense and look to play more old school Steeler ball .Not having Ben or studs like AB at WR then Eli in the slot will be the main focus of our Offense. We will go ball control and use PA as such Eli will have great value.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I already posted before I read your post.You are spot on with the slot being the work it out guy for the O the only thing I differ with you is AB will leave and Eli will become our real weapon from the slot position.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No way .As soon as Ben retires after this season AB will be looking for the nearest exit .Not sure if he can get out next season, but he will be gone within 2 . I was the man screaming that Ben was about done I got called everything but a child of god until Ben put it out there . Ben is done . This is his last year and Bell will not stay here w/o Ben . He will look to find a vet QB who can throw the rock. AB is not the type to wait for a QB to learn his craft. AB will abandon ship the first chance he gets to do so.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but you probably started saying Ben is done 5 seasons ago. Eventually you will be right.

Plus, Ben is still playing. Dont count your chickens before they hatch.

If AB was interested in leaving, he could have put himself on the market. Sign with a team for a bigger contract and with a younger QB. I think you underestimate his love and respect for the Rooneys and the Steelers organization.

There is zero chance he will break his contract.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    when and if bell, AB and ben leave, we will have about 40 million to play with. add pouncey, JH, moats, gay, foster, DHB and we are closer to 60 mil. to play with. time moves on. so will the team. :cool:

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    IIRC, you and I were about the only ones saying Ben would retire after this year or the next. I don't remember any flack over it like you're claiming. I also don't think AB looks for the exit. Does he lose patience when Landry has started in the past...yes, so I can see your reasoning as to why he would want to jump ship. A top flight QB is very important to a #1 WR.

But I don't think the current staff and FO will just sit on their hands when Ben retires. They've been pretty proactive lately and I think that will continue, even if its a bridge type QB until a draft pick is taken high. TBH, I don't even know if they'd get a bridge guy because this next draft will without a doubt have a first round QB taken. I would bet on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope. I actually stated he was not right 2 seasons ago. Then last season I stated he will retire this season or the next.We are in the next season now.FYI.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AB is not really a money guy ,he is a I am the best guy ,and he very well could be . A guy like that wants to win it all .A guy like that wants a product at QB that e believes can deliver him and the Team a Championship . I don't see him giving a young QB time. Could we go Vet at QB that he trust? Yes if so he will stay if no and we go Rookie 1 year at most and he will be on the A train.Probably as he should be.

19. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Correct me if im wrong, you believe AB will leave after Ben retires? He will want to be with a good QB and right now there isnt one on the team he considers a Championship Caliber QB. If this is true what kind of value could the Steelers get in the trade market in lets say 2 years (i think thats when Ben is gone). Will he still be worth a high draft pick? Maybe a decent starting QB?

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Mac, the Steelers will be just fine. I should state though that it will be very important
    that the Steelers get a promising QB going forward.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If Martavis had AB's internal motor, we would have the #1 & #2 wr in the league. The only question would be does alien surpass AB as #1.

22. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016

Not to mention Larry Fitzgerald is still an animal... Did you see the game he played last night? Incredible.

23. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016
    I think AB has a long time until we see him decline... But for the sake of argument, Martavis makes me nervous more than anyone on the field... Drops the easiest passes but somehow makes the ridiculous ones. Everytime Ben throws it to him I hold my breathe. Yes, he is a freak athlete, but he also makes a lot of bone head mistakes. JuJu on the other hand is still very green, but that is a good thing. I love the way be blocks and I think he has very consistent hands, see a little Hines in him. If I had to pick right now, I would probably say Bryant just because of experience, but give me a few years and I think my answer would definitely change to JuJu-- he's a grinder.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    My hope is that Bryant has put his weed issue behind him (and/or the NFL policy is amended to align with the times), he gets a taste of the legen...dary beast he could be, and he catches AB's work ethic.

Imagine the Franken-receiver you'd have if you could combine AB's skills/ethic and MB's size/speed/strength.

25. steelcurtainmrp

Nov 15, 2016

That is a scary thought.... I can see some Randy Moss in him for sure, just needs to grow up.