1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

From Bears' fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Sep 19, 2017.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've answered your question twice already, but you fail to comprehend it.

I said the Steelers, more often than not, play down to inferior competition. The Bears are obviously a sub-par team at 0-2. It doesn't matter that the Steelers have better players and more talent on both sides of the ball and special teams. It hasn't mattered in the past. On paper, the Steelers look great on offense and defense (sans the secondary)... but it doesn't translate to wins against crappy teams. This is why the Patriots get a bye in the playoffs every year and the Steelers haven't had one since 2010. The Patriots beat teams they are supposed to beat... and the Steelers do not. It's happened 3 straight years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    When I questioned my Dad, his reply was, "Shut up, that's why." Worked for me!

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok. So you concede that the Browns and the Vikes are crappy teams? But the Steelers beat them both, right? So since we are using "history" as a barometer then wouldn't it stand to reason to say that since we've already beaten two crappy teams this year then we should beat the next one that we play? Also shouldn't the Steelers have LOST to those teams using your "logic" that you touted earlier? It's interesting that you said you are a "good debater". I'm starting to believe that you get a lot of practice and your favorite person to debate sounds like it might be your own self. By chance, do you have a coin you always carry in your pocket with a big scratch on one side and clear on the other? LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it's the old "because I said so". Works every time. LOL!

5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Browns are crappy yes... but they have beaten us before when they were crappy. 2014 for example. I don't know what games you have watched the past two weeks, but the Steelers didn't look that great and were fortunate to win vs. a rookie QB and backup QB. The Vikings are not a crappy team yet... until they sink below .500, so your argument for them is invalid. Plus, the fact they didn't have Bradford starting. That game would have ended up a lot different had he started.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Vikings D ranked #6 last year.. We were #16

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

The Patriots also play in a **** division. Not taking away from the accomplishments because from top to bottom they always remain competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont think we can actually say that. That is supposition at its best. I still think the outcome would have been the Steelers winning that game. They played well enough to win .. Sure there are some problems but we are 2 games in. Personally I would rather see them peak later in the season then to be on fire this early in the season

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    True. But they beat those teams on a regular, consistent basis. The worst the Patriots do in their division is 5-1. They may lose one in the division every 2 or 3 years to the Jets or Dolphins... or to the Bills when Brady is out for suspension.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Well the Jets are the new Browns imho .. Bills aren't a great deal better. Dolphins are suspect . Dolphins are about as close to division titles as NE and are likely the only real threat to beat the Patriots in the that division .

11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomlin's record vs. truly bad teams is the glaring stat. I forget what the actual stat was, but it was something about being 1-6 with teams with 20% winning records or worse, but that was a little while ago and it has probably changed some. But I do know this: There was indeed a strong trend of MT team's losing regularly to very bad teams. I don't think that can be disputed all that much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And Ben usually plays like crap in these games sometimes with 2-3 ints.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Bears receivers drop a lot of passes, this should be a game for the Steelers defense to get some ints.

14. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    There's no excuse to lose this game. Zero. This is a 2 win team at best.

15. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Holy crap, these guys are on suicide watch.

I'm glad we aren't there lol

On that note, I'll be mad if we don't put up AT LEAST 25. The Bears are awful and should be a blowout. (but it probably won't be)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Several things scare me, no matter how bad the Bears are. Tomlin has several losses to teams just like these guys.

2013 - Loss to a bevy of bad teams
    2014 - Loss to horrible Bucs and Jets teams
    2015 - Loss to QB-less Ravens
    2106 - Loss to 1-3 Fins

Also, 1-7 vs. Bears all time.
    Bad NFC road record.
    Poor early and mid season efforts (weren't we 4-5 at one point last season?)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016

Dolphins weren't as bad as their record indicated. Otherwise, agreed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually, here's another season where the defense has been a pleasant surprise...and the offense,led by big ben, is less impressive

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the problem with the various arguments going on around here over the Steelers losing to teams with crappy records is that it's a roughshod way of looking at the specific reasons we lost.

In some games, there has been the sense that the team is too lethargic, or not taking the opposition seriously enough. So maybe record comes into that. But in others, there are certain match ups that have been favourable to the opposition (I think of that game against a poor Jets team a few years back, or the Eagles last year), and we look poor against an otherwise weaker team. It happens the other way as well: like the Bengals simply had no answer to Bell's off-tackle running in one game, and he scored 2-3 times off the one play. That's about match ups, though. Sometimes players are just off, or other players have career days, like they can be in any game. Sometimes the other team's weak record has its own context; they've only lost by a few points each game, they've had key injuries, etc. etc.

It's like an single stat. It tells a story, but not the whole story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think its funny that people are going back, 2,3 even 4 years for examples of the Steelers losing to "lesser" teams and yet overlook the first 2 games this season. Those are exactly the type of games you are referring to. Oh, but they won those games so that throws a wrench into the narrative, gotta ignore those.

I'll be truly shocked if we arent 3-0 after Sunday. I dont think they will have much trouble securing a victory against the Bears.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The Vikings are a good team. Steelers usually beat good teams not from New England. Good teams are not the problem. Steelers can beat any good team on any given Sunday, except the Patriots.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    eh not on the road lol. Any good team not the patriots at home, yeah. Lost to the cowboys because in reality they sucked :D

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I feel very comfortable vs the bears I don't know why. Seriously not threatened at all, the Raisins though.... 3-1 after 4 games.

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll be happy with no major injuries after Ravens game. A win would be a bonus.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1