1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

From Bears' fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Sep 19, 2017.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I know the ravens play us tough because of the rivalry and the division familiarity... but I don't think the ravens are a good team this year. Their offense is garbage and they just lost Yanda (who happens to be the best player on the whole team) for the season. It will be tougher than it should be, but there's no reason to not expect two wins against a team we have so much more talent than.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I agree. I don't want to overlook the Bears and usually think a game like that one is a trap game but I really think the Steelers are going to play well enough to put up 30 points against them and win soundly. We're gonna finally see a great road game Ben IMO.

I think we then beat the Rats soundly and become media darlings with the number 1 power ranking for the week with a 2 game division lead and then stumble the next game when that all goes to their heads.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My post was simply for fun and to stir up memories of a frustrating game that was lost to a bad team guided by a no name quarterback, and not any kind of serious analysis or prediction of this game or comparison of this current team to that one. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less. Im sorry that was missed by some and started this whole fuster cluck of a thread.

From now on I will leave the sarcastic humor at the door and try to be more serious.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?

My post was directed at the "play down" narrative. I did not quote you in any sort or form in relations towards that but the narrative itself.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My reply does kind of play into the 'play down' narrative a bit if taken at face value. And since you are talking specifically 2014 I assumed your post had to be directed at me and Mustard since the OP didn't reference that game. Sorry for misunderstanding. :hi:

6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Steelers 1-11 all time in Chicago and their lone win was in OT for the Super Bowl bound 1995 team.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Looks like we have some ground to make up.

2-11 here we come.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I once asked my mother in law what she liked best about me and she thought about it for a second and she goes "I love that you've mastered the art of sarcasm". Why am I telling you this? Don't worry about posting sarcastic things. Leave that to the pros... LOL! I kid you not. She got me a sign for my gameroom that say "National Sarcasm Club" with the slogan "Like We Need Your Help". LOL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben plays better at Heinz, than on the road and his TD to int ratio is good. Glennon is facing a better defense this time around.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell ran for over 100 yards when the Steelers beat the Ravens last season :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Exactly. It's a complete BS argument from someone who can just say "eh, we should have won anyway, so it doesn't mean anything because it was the Bears." In the eyes of some fans the Steelers are awful until they win another SB. Anything else that whey achieve is crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No Worries! :drinks:

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Essentially a confirmation bias.

Quite numerous in contingents of successful professional team sports franchises I hear.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remember that game. Steelers scored a TD late in regulation on 4th down, Cowher lined them up for 2 pt and the win. Bears called TO so he opted to kick for the tie instead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The first game he didn't. I'm just saying they are just a thorn that's all, 1-4 last 5 vs them

16. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Clive--what happened to your fishing Avitar? And what was the fish you caught and where were you fishing?

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree.

I'm a good debater. I use logic, reason, facts and history to back up my arguments instead of blind faith. I lost my "idealism" for the Steelers after the Tebow debacle in January of '12.

I love the Steelers. I just don't think they are as good of a team as the sports media makes them out to be. The offense is overrated and inconsistent.... and the defense is still a couple of players away (in the secondary) from being a potential top 5, Super Bowl-caliber defense like we had in '08 and '05.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok. So what "facts, logic, and reason" do you have to believe that THIS Bears team will beat us other than to say "well we've lost to bad teams a lot"? Does this Bears team have a roster that matches up well against our current roster? Is our secondary lacking? Yeah. That's not news to anyone. It sounds like you're basically looking at the record of the Bears and saying "well they've not won a game this year and so they will beat us..." That's not exactly groundbreaking analysis. So on paper how to they match up against this specific team for this specific game? As of right now they're averaging 12pts a game, 305yds of offense, with 233 in the air, and 72 on the ground. They have 4 sacks total in two games. They've given up 50% of 3rd down conversions. The only place they outrank us is in the ground game where they are 26th and we are 29th. Other than that, though, we outrank them in every category. So just based on those "facts" shouldn't you say that we actually should win? Wouldn't "reason" dictate such a response? Or is a more reasonable response to say "well they have a losing record and that's really all that matters when approaching how this particular game will play out"? Also does 2013's game have any bearing on this particular game? Or does the 2009 game have any bearing on this game? Or should this game be taken at face value and analyzed in light of this year's rosters on both sides of the ball and how they specifically match up with each other?

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015

I've already outlined the losses to sub-par, sub-.500 teams in other threads for 2014, 15 and 16. Did Miami have great stats before they beat us last year when they were 1-4? LMAO! Did Tampa Bay (with Glennon at QB) have great stats prior to playing the Steelers in 2014? I don't see how the Bears' poor stats in the previous two games have any bearing on the outcome of this game. It's all going to come down to which team wants to win more... and which team blocks better, tackles better, throws better, covers better, etc. History has shown the Steelers overlook opponents in the Bears current situation and under-perform. The game is on the road which is also another obvious negative for the Steelers. You can ramble on as much as you want, but that's not going to change reality.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So basically your answer is "no" when I ask if your analysis is based on this current roster vs their current roster. BUT since we're now allowed to cherry pick parts of "history" and call it "analysis" I'M gonna say that the Steelers had a truly legendary and dominant defense from 74 to 79 and the Bears had a truly legendary and dominant defense in 1985. Also the Steelers have 6 Super Bowls and the Bears have One. So based on that analysis I say the Steelers are clear favorites since we're using "history" as a barometer. Wouldn't you say, no? :icon e wink:

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Something else that is rather odd is the fact that you say you use "history" to back up your opinions but then you say "I don't see how the Bears' poor stats in the previous two games have any bearing on the outcome of this game." Yet you DO see how the stats in the Miami, and TB games have a bearing? Dude you should really just quit while you're behind because my arm is getting tired of picking this mic up only to drop it again. LOL!

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said stats from previous games didn't have much bearing on the outcome of the game and I was right. The Bucs were a poor team in '14 with poor stats... and they beat the Steelers. Likewise with the Dolphins last year. They were 1-4 with poor stats and beat the Steelers who had a winning 4-1 record at the time. So why should the Bears stats in the past two games matter? The Bears can win this game easily if the Steelers play down to them. It is very likely the Steelers WILL play down to them. Just like it is very likely Tom Brady will torch the Steelers secondary on December 17th.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They should matter based on the fact that you said that you use "history". However, a more accurate description, is you use "selective history". In other words, you cherry pick what fits your narrative. If previous stats or records have no bearing then why do you even bring it up? Because, after all, wasn't it you that brought it up? Then I ask why you think this particular Bears team can beat this particular Steelers team and you go "Because the Dolphins and the Bucs did..." How do those games have any bearing on this one? I will ask you again why it is that you think "this" Bears team can beat "this" Steelers team in 2017? Is it because you think they are a legit better team? Is it because they match up well against us? Is it because they have a front that can get to Ben? Is it because they have db's that can contain AB and MB? Is it because they have an o line that can protect Glennon enough? I'm curious how you are coming to the conclusion on "this particular game". That's all I'm saying. I just don't think looking at a Bucs and Fins game from years ago is a reason to say "well clearly they are gonna lose this one because they lost those two".

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Swapped it for my gun range avatar. ;)

That beautiful rainbow was the first trout I ever caught flyfishing (last October on Wilson Creek, near Collettesville NC). Everything is fished out now, but only 11 days until fall stocking begins!!!

• Like Like x 1