1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steeler Fans Along West Coast Florida

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Sep 9, 2017.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Good luck with the storm. It really sucks you have to deal with that, especially with the start of the NFL season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wishing all people in Florida good luck.

Monster storm, be well Floridians.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes, best wishes to everyone in Florida and neighbouring states. Hope all goes as well as can be expected.

I see Irma is downgraded to a 3. Hopefully it will continue to weaken.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw a report that it's expected to renergize over the water back to a 4 heading into Florida.

Those videoes of it hitting the Islands at a 5 are frightening. Just shredding everything.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I have a sister nephews and nieces there preparing for the storm, and I just went through the Houston storm where my daughter and her family just went through that one and the water was with in 8 inches of her house as well at my grand daughters house who lives a few doors down, they had moved all their furniture up to the second floor just in case but they came through it just fine thank the lord, now i'm in worry mode again for this florida hit.........

6. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Will continue to keep everyone in mind, but I always feel every serious situation deserves a little levity.

8. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We are on the road now evacuating to NC. Hopefully I can find someplace around Charlotte to watch the game. ( I have a feeling between loss of power and lack of satellite signal, my DVR won't be able to record it).

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That storm is absolutely massive. They are even saying that we could be looking at 30mph winds and bad rain here in east TN because of this thing! We were at the airport in Tampa last year when a hurricane was coming in and waves were already crashing over the barrier as we were driving across a big bridge down there and that was just as the real storm was approaching. I can't imagine being in the path of this storm though. We've got some fellow DVC members that we know who are down there right now and are probably just gonna wind up coming home early because all 4 parks are gonna be closed for 2 days and that's only the 5th time in history that that has happened. A girl that started at UPS in Knoxville transferred to Miami about a year ago because he was originally from there and I'm really curious to know if she's coming back to TN to ride the storm out.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    As far as the article goes though, I'd say about the only thing you could do to keep people from buying up all the supplies would either be to set a limit on certain things or just raise the prices right? I saw that some 7/11 franchise owners are actually getting the licenses to their franchises pulled for how bad they're raising prices on things.

13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Where are you in east Tenn? I was in Tenn with my kids to see the eclipse in totality. Stayed in Jamestown, watched it in Clarkrange. I think they're more centralish, right?

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    My wife's retired aunt and uncle live on a canal in Cape Coral. The next street over from them is in the mandatory evacuation zone, but they're going to stick it out at home with some of their neighbors. They said there is too much traffic and he's scared that if he leaves, someone will loot his house. They've boarded up the windows and are going to put their dining room table against the back sliding door and think they'll be okay. They are underestimating what they are up against and even though everyone in our family has pleaded with them to leave, they're staying and think they'll be fine. Everyone else is gravely concerned for their safety. Im hoping they wise up once the winds really start to pick up, otherwise I think they're going to need a miracle to make it out unharmed.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats ****ty. Hope they get hit with the heaviest of fines enacted after hurricane Andrew.

Definitely going to hit you. Look at its path in that link you posted. Of course it will be severely weakened by then but thats how massive it is, that its projected to travel that far inland.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats crazy. That whole area will probably be under water. Do they at least have a second floor to retreat to?

Godspeed to them.

17. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    No. Their house is a single story stucco home. I don't think it will survive the winds. We're all sick about it. My wife has reached out to them. Her cousin too. Even my 16 year old son called. They said that they'll be fine and that the car is packed with essentials if they need to go, so there's that. At least there is some doubt in their minds.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Price gouging is real. I am in Orlando and when I went to Walmart to get some water and snacks, my mom went to get a small coffee from the McDonald's connected to it. $3.50... yeah that's bs. Most places haven't been bad, but it's definitely there.

I was worried I'd have to leave, but it looks like it won't be too bad here. I feel for those in Tampa. I actually had a friend fleee West Palm to the Tampa area on Thursday night... needless to say he's heading back haha

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep pounding it into them that they have to leave. Even if that house is still standing, show them this, may be enough to make them leave.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Went down as a She came back as a He ? All the more reason to stay out if Miami . JK I am sure it was a type O .

On the 4 real though if anyone is on here from down there or have Family or Friends in that area please just get out if you can . Life as in baseball the most Important thing is to get home safe.

Things can be replaced Peeps can't. Please leave if you have the means, if it turns out not to bad then so be it, please protect yourselves and your friends and neighbors .

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I'm in Maynardville, which is like 20 minutes from Knoxville. Jamestown is about 2 hours away. My mamaw and papaw used to go there sometimes to get molasses because they have a pretty vibrant Amish community down there and they're pretty famous for their molasses. I was actually delivering during the eclipse and people were all over the place. It lasted about 2 or 3 minutes I guess. I just turned the lights on in my package car during that time. UPS sent all the drivers a message that said "DO NOT LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON!" LOL!

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man that's cool that you live in Orlando. Our DVC resort is actually Bay Lake Tower so I'm pretty close to you about a month out of the year. Are you really expecting anything bad or is Disney just being cautious?

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and what sucks is I'm gonna be out delivering in that crap! People in FL have seriously been complaining that UPS has stopped operations down there in the past day or so. People are idiots dude. The state is under a State of Emergency and people are literally being told to leave and you still have people saying "But muh Amazon! But muh QVC!" Yes I know that people ARE maybe ordering supplies but man we've got families too that we have to take care of and these people have known for a week that this thing is gonna be bad.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude I saw a story while ago of a guy that lives on a sailboat and is insisting that it will be fine for him to ride out the storm on his boat and is refusing to leave!

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's awesome, Bay Lake Tower is like 15 mins from my place. I'm basically across the street from Sea World haha if you ever want to grab a beer while your in town send me a DM!

And I don't think it's going to be awful. We're gonna get wind and rain, but I don't think anything catastrophic is gonna happen. Disney had to shut down because the reports about 24 hrs or so ago had it moving through the center of the state. Now that it's tracking towards Tampa, it's a little bit better of an outlook for us. Still gotta close the parks tho. 60 mph winds and rain isn't a good time to go to the park anyways