1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

trade Bell and Steelers 2018 #1 pick for Overall #1 pick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes I think you're right.

He has to sign the franchise offer before he plays, right? It would be unorthodox, but they'd have to trade him during the season before the tag expires again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't want to hijack the thread but finding a quality starting QB outside of round 1 is statistically unlikely.

Some names to watch are Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Rudolph, Falk, Stidham, and Jackson. Keep in mind, still early in the process. Lots can change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Trading Bell would be a disastrous move for us. We finally have the best running back in the league and you want to trade him?

This would put all of the pressure on Conner and another running back if we draft one. They would have a big hole to fill and will there ever be a running back like Bell again?

We could either do 2 things:

1. Tank like the Colts did when Manning got hurt and get the #1 overall pick or at least the top 5 pick.

2. Draft another QB once Ben retires and hope for the best no matter what draft number he's at.

Overall, sacrificing Bell just to save our QB future wouldn't be a smart move for us in the long run.

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Does having the best RB in the league help you win the Super Bowl? Not so far. He's more concerned about being the highest paid RB and WR. That's not happening with the Steelers. Probably not with any team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    without a top 5 pick, we could end up the next 3 decades with QBs like Mark Malone, Cliff Stout, Kordell Stewart, Neil ODonnell, or Mike Tomzack. We've got to have a top 5 pick to get a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Maybe, although Roethlisberger wasn't top 5, and as I recall, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were quite a bit more expensive initially in that draft class. The expense associated with a #1 overall, especially if that player doesn't work out, makes it harder to keep skilled people at other positions. Still, if the perfect candidate becomes available, the wizards of finance would have to make it work, cause there ain't gonna be no tanking for draft picks.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Forgive me for sounding a bit naive, but when we needed this guy the last three playoffs, he has been injured, right? He can pile up all the regular season stats he wants, but if he can't be counted on when they need him most, what does it say for his overall value to anyone else? What's the overall shelf life on today's top NFL backs? Five, six years? Point being, I think the peak of getting max value out of this guy has passed. He's a tremendous talent, and I enjoy watching him but, I agree with the folks that say run the hell out of him if he signs then worry about next year next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    NO was a good QB for us. Had he stuck around, wed have gotten back to the SB with that team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Saw a story that said Bell gave a sarcastic congrats to Kevin Colbert on his extension. Man the guy is something else.

10. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Or

3. Go after Kurt Cousins?

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Not gonna say NO wasn't good but let's not forget a very good defense that blitzed the heck out of people and one of the best olines in the game. Didn't Stewart take the same team to the AFCCG? IMO NO was a very good game manager on a very good team, other than the SB he didn't do much to lose games he also did just enough to win. He had a good run here, but that SB may be my worst lose as a Steeler fan so you can see where my dislike for NO comes from.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He can be traded after he signs the tender. He was Tomlin's pick. He will be in Black & Gold this season helping secure #7. Then he will be gone next season, signing his 17 mill per with another team. Sure, lets see him tagged again you say as he holds out until he has to sign. No thanks. He is a very talented back, arguably the best in the league (when not injured or suspended). The Steelers will NOT pay him that much and shouldn't. Maybe with that 17 mill he gets he can hire some real rappers to school him...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some 2 year old numbers to go with this thought:

• Of the 122 QBs drafted in the last 10 years only 25 have been starters for at least half of their career.
    • The first round gives you a 63% chance of finding a starter.
    • The second round gives you a 27% chance, the third a 17% chance, then it really plummets from there with 8% in the fourth and 6% in the 7th.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like your thinking Italian Army. Get R DONE.

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    So what happened today I heard bell showed up at the facility today but left shortly after? Did he sign? Or get ran off hahahahahaha

16. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I am not being sarcastic. Who are the current franchise QB's (that are good enough to win big games) that have been drafted in the top 5?

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Carson Palmer
    Matt Ryan
    Cam Newton
    Matt Stafford ,not clutch but is highest paid)
    Andrew Luck
    Alex Smith (helped by a good team)
    Eli Manning
    Phillip Rivers

Then you have a group of guys that range from as low as Sam Bradford up to Carson Wentz.

Too early to tell on guys like Goff, Bortles and Winston.

18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Eh, I'm not sure if any of that data is meaningful. 1) many QB drafted aren't with the intentions of them being starters, .i.e Jones, Dobson, 2) Most first rounders are forced into the starter role, but not necessarily effective, I.e Goff, Bortles, Manuel, Geno. 3) see bullet 1

19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  20. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Trade bell next year for #1 pick (keep our #1) if...

#1 pick contains franchise qb
    Conner looks strong
    Bell still wants too much
    Sb win and Ben retires

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Of course they did with a non exclusive tag which allows a player to negotiate with another team under that tag, of course if a team signs him they have to give up 2 first round picks or negotiate what picks they have to give up..I said earlier the steelers should tag Bell non exclusive in 2018 and wait it out to see who wants to give up picks to sign him....

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

• Like Like x 2
  22. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This is exactly what I would do as well. Yeah we risk losing him but that return would be amazing.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I remember the day Nelson Mandela died. It was in 1991 on a Tuesday and I was 9 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday.